California Sheep Online raffles!

S

southwestern

San Gorgonio Wilderness Outfitters is participating in the 2012 California Sheep on line raffle tag by offering a 7 day free full guided service for the lucky draw tag hunter. The special tag is for the Kelso-Old Dad hunt zone only but with an extended season (11-3-2012 to 2-3-2013), with the raffle around mid-June 2012. You can purchase as many chances as you would like. Each ticket is $5.66 and you don't even have to purchase a hunting license to have a chance.
Up to 50 tickets can be purchased in one transaction. Additional transactions can be made - there's no total limit. Please help us make this a success for the DFG; all proceeds go directly into the DFG Big Game Management Account instead of the state's general fund.

As you know this is a wonderful opportunity for any hunter that dreams of obtaining a Desert Bighorn sheep tag. This drawing also allows the past successful draw hunters to participate for another opportunity to hunt Desert Bighorn in California.

California chapter has an advertisement on the home page and I am requesting in support of this drawing that your chapters could do the same. Below is the DFG link to purchase tickets.

Go on-line to purchase your tickets. You will have to log into the DFG customer account system at:
https://www.ca.wildlifelicense.com/InternetSales/CustomerSearch/Begin

Can't wait to see you on the mountain!

you buy raffle tickets for the sheep tag,the outfitter will donate his guide service for the hunt.

Thanks for the info. I hunted bighorn with Terry in 2008, best hunt ever. He is very knowledgeable about the animals, range and all things bighorn. Always hoping my wife would draw a tag so I could tag along on another San Gorgonio guided hunt but look's like another chance at a California Nelson sheep for me. nugentfan

Sure, it seems like another "opportunity" (and I use that word loosly) for a regular Joe to draw a premium hunt....but is it really? I'll bet some of these guys with BIG $$$$, you know, the ones that buy up all the governor's tags at fundraising auctions will throw out $10,000, $20,000 or more for their raffle tix. So, mathematically speaking, do any of us mere mortals have a chance in hell to draw one of these? Maybe...But if so, it's ever so slight.

I wonder, is this the future of hunting trophy big game species in America? What's stopping states from adopting this unlimited "lottery" ticket model all over the country as their main method of generating revenue? We as sportsmen should be cautious regarding these types of things. Although it sounds good on the surface (raises money for projects benefitting big game herds) is it the only option? All I'm saying is that this could end up being a "slippery slope"....

Your thoughts / comments?
-HS

Well, the reality is that this type of raffle is a good deal, generates more revenue than the auction tag it was in the past and yes, it gives the "regular Joe" a shot at something normally not available.

The Owens Valley tule elk tag, last year, was won by a "regular Joe", welder guy, who only bought 1 ticket.

I know at least 10 people who bought 50 chances.

I can't speak as to who won the deer tag.

These 4 tags are NOT pulled from the basic draw pools, so there is no loss to the guys working their point system options.

Now, in theory, ALL the revenue generated from the raffle is supposed to go to big game management and not into the general fund, but who knows how that will work.

I like the deal and I think they should double up on the elk and deer opportunities.

There is an serious overabundance of Owens Valley bulls and another late season deer tag can't hurt anything either, in several areas of the State.

If someone is not in favor of the raffle, don't support it, but after the cash it took in last year, don't look for it to go away anytime soon.

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-12 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]Was it ever published how many deer and elk tickets were bought last year?

For sixty busks you got a chance. You never know, but the answer is no, unless you try.

Regarding the comment that some rich elitist might purchase 20k in raffle tickets...if they could throw down 20k, I'd bet for 30k more they could buy the auction tag. No one is going to waste 20 k on a raffle ticket. Maybe up to 5k, bot no way 20! Just my opinion.

I bought 1 for each raffle... gives me one more line to look at with hope. Even if I don't draw, I like the idea of giving myself the most chances possible. Last year I didn't even get my 2nd choice C zone, so all my applications were a bust. Good luck, someone's gotta draw them.

All the dollars generated by the auction tags and random drawing tags go into a big game fund (along with tag fees from the big game species). These dollars are dedicated dollars that can only be used for big game, such as research, habitat work, and enforcement. There is an oversight committe made up of NGO's such as COHA, RMEF, CDA, MDF, SCI, FNAWS, etc. They review all projects funded and the accounting of the money. I will see if I can find how much money they generated last year, the sheep tag is new this year along with the antelope. Of course the odds are not good but they are better than when those tags went straight to auction. These are not new tags or additional tags these tags are part of the fixed number of tags that the Departmetn uses to generate funds. Traditionally they were all auctioned off, now an Owens Valley elk tag, sheep tag, open zone deer tag, and an antelope tag are issued through the random draw process. This way everyone can have a chance at the tags. Open to non-residents and you can buy as many chances as you want. CA is the only state to have tule elk so here is another chance. Good luck

Joe

Some of you guys need to re-index your thinking here. It should be well known by now, that I ain't a big fan of the DFG and their administration.....but they got this one right.

These "raffle" tags are one of the smartest things that the DFG has EVER come up with.

Yes, the odds are long, but the revenue generated by this form of sale, is far beyond what the tag made as a straight up "auction tag".

As it was, a "regular Joe" hunter had to sit and watch some well heeled guy fork over $60,000 for a sheep tag. Now, 60,000 individual guys can buy a $6.00 ticket and at least have a chance for the tag......while $360,000 goes into the big game fund.

I don't know the exact numbers, but the scenario is correct, regardless.

Compute the process for each of the 4 tags now being raffled and a "blind baby with measles", can understand it is a good thing for big game programs.

Everybody snivels that nothing is done in Sacramento and how much money is wasted, but when something positive happens, all of a sudden, nobody wants to support it.

As far as someone laying out a ton of cash for "tickets" and increasing his odds, a welder bought 1 ticket last year and drew the Owens Valley bull elk.

I challenge every guy on here to buy a chance on each of the 4 hunts.....$25. You can still add it to your application, on line and it only takes a couple of minutes, and as mentioned, it will be something else to anticipate in June.

If anyone on this site draws the Owens Valley elk tag, I will personally introduce them to every available bull elk in the Owens Valley......no charge.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

A chance no-matter how slim is still a chance. At a %30K to $60K for an auction tag I have "NO" chance. I'll spend the $20 on a chance. Good luck to all who take the chance.

I was in last year. I wait all year for just one shot at a tag, and for under $6.00 each I can have as many as I choose. In Arizona for every species I do not draw I donate more than that.

LAST EDITED ON May-06-12 AT 03:04AM (MST)[p]>> As it was, a "regular
>Joe" hunter had to sit
>and watch some well heeled
>guy fork over $60,000 for
>a sheep tag. Now, 60,000
>individual guys can buy a
>$6.00 ticket and at least
>have a chance for the
>tag......while $360,000 goes into the
>big game fund.
>
>I don't know the exact numbers,
>but the scenario is correct,
>regardless."

Glad to see my comment fueled some good natured discussion here. No doubt this lottery ticket method will generate a tremendous amount of cash for DFG to do great things, right? My point was: If this is as sucessful at generating cash flow for DFG as Nickman predicts, what's stopping them from eventually offering more and more tags this way and less and less tags through the regular drawing? After all, if generating the most amount of $$$ is the number one interest, what's stopping DFG from eventually offering ALL big game tags in this manner? Maybe that's a stretch to believe at this point in time, but I say the chances of this doomsday scenario is greater than the chance any of us will ever have at a tag under this type of tag distribution method.

This is the "slippery slope" I was referring to. At what point does providing hunter opportunity take a back seat to generating the all mighty dollar? No doubt the money is needed, but at what cost to us? Just stop and think about this one for a minute....If eventually DFG offered hunting opportunities for prized trophys like tule elk, bighorn, etc. ONLY through this lottery method, would that really be what you want? There needs to be balance between generating revenue and still providing realistic hunter opportunity.

Only time will tell...but I know greed tends to be a major driving force in the human decision making process...especially within government agencies. But, then again, Gordon Gecko said it best, "Greed is Good", right?

I wonder what we will all be saying about this 20 years from now?

-HS>

tuleelk.......sent you a PM.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom