Calling Spring Bears

M

MORRISON4375

Anyone have any luck calling bears in the spring and if so what is the best sound to use. I have hunted on the coast and have not been able to get one to commit or even act interested.

My buddies and I try it most years. I don't think we have ever "called one in" all the way, but we have shot several that popped out to look in our direction. They were bears that were out in front of us, somewhere in the trees that we probably would have never seen, but they couldn't resist taking a look when they heard the calls.

We usually use a fawn bleat or a cotton tail call.

Most of the spring bears are feeding on grass and forage that time of year, trying to get their system working correctly again. Not to say you cannot call one, you would be better served to glass all the meadows and clear-cuts for them at that time of year. If you do call try a cow calf elk call, we call them in all the time during Elk season, especially over east where you are looking ot hunt them....

Good luck.

A friend of mines little brother killed a huge bear he called in with the wayne carlton bear call. 3 came in on the same setup the one he killed had a 20 inch skull and that was on the Sw Oregon spring tag. I have that same call and never worked for me on coastal bears.

Back
Top Bottom