Camp chainsaw

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Anyone use a battery operated chainsaw to cut firewood for camping? Been looking at a Ryobi 40 volt unit. My truck has an inverter so charging the batteries is not a problem. Will also double as a quick method to trim trees around the house.
Thanks

Anyone use a battery operated chainsaw to cut firewood for camping? Been looking at a Ryobi 40 volt unit. My truck has an inverter so charging the batteries is not a problem. Will also double as a quick method to trim trees around the house.
Thanks
Don't get a Ryobi. Trust me. I have a 16 inch Dewalt battery saw. Look at it or a Stihl. The best thing to do would be to get a Stihl MS 170 gas saw. I have one of those too. I would take it over the battery saw every time. mtmuley

Don't get a Ryobi. Trust me. I have a 16 inch Dewalt battery saw. Look at it or a Stihl. The best thing to do would be to get a Stihl MS 170 gas saw. I have one of those too. I would take it over the battery saw every time. mtmuley
What go you not like about Ryobi? I have their pole saw, leaf blower, and trimmers. I think they work great for the small jobs I do around the house. If I have a lot of leaf blowing to do I use my Stihl backpack blower. This is my usual wood cutting tools, I was just wanting something for small jobs and around camp.

39BACDC8-DF4A-4B18-BAC7-860BEC9D6E34.jpeg

BDC6E378-563E-435E-86A0-8D80C4A8581C.jpeg

D5726B25-0D07-4C82-9836-C71E33DFD9FC.jpeg

Over the summer cleaning trails a gas powered is a pain to pack on horses with extra fuel.

So we took our dewalt and Milwaukee cordless. Quick smooth Cuts. Made me a believer. We made around 120 cuts. Had plenty of extra batteries.

What go you not like about Ryobi? I have their pole saw, leaf blower, and trimmers. I think they work great for the small jobs I do around the house. If I have a lot of leaf blowing to do I use my Stihl backpack blower. This is my usual wood cutting tools, I was just wanting something for small jobs and around camp.

View attachment 70012

View attachment 70013

View attachment 70014
I use battery tools daily. Ryobi tools don't stand up to everyday use and abuse. Just my observation. mtmuley

Over the summer cleaning trails a gas powered is a pain to pack on horses with extra fuel.

So we took our dewalt and Milwaukee cordless. Quick smooth Cuts. Made me a believer. We made around 120 cuts. Had plenty of extra batteries.
Like I said, I'd take a gas saw over a battery everyday, all day. The only reason I have a battery saw us sometimes I need to use a chainsaw indoors. They don't compare to gas saws in terms of power and run time. mtmuley

Like I said, I'd take a gas saw over a battery everyday, all day. The only reason I have a battery saw us sometimes I need to use a chainsaw indoors. They don't compare to gas saws in terms of power and run time. mtmuley

Gas powered all day for big jobs but i will never again pack a gas powered on the horses. The fuel leakage, the flooding issues got old. The cordless zipped right through the logs. Also didnt have to deal with noise issue. Once we hit the wilderness line then it was the wonderful hand saw

Gas powered all day for big jobs but i will never again pack a gas powered on the horses. The fuel leakage, the flooding issues got old. The cordless zipped right through the logs. Also didnt have to deal with noise issue. Once we hit the wilderness line then it was the wonderful hand saw
Which brand and model do you prefer?

20220305_130816.jpg
Both have a place. Haven't used the batteries stored in the cold for weeks yet. They do not charge when cold. The MS 170 and and a can of Stihl premix live in the truck come hunting season. mtmuley

Ditto on DeWalt chainsaw. I've cut many cords of wood with mine on dozens of camp trips. I have spare batteries, but one full charge is usually enough for a week's camp trip. I have spares because I have other DeWalt tools (2 compressors, vac, drill, blower, etc.). The only tool I was a little disappointed with was the blower- it really drains the battery fast.

And... I certainly would not rely on the battery operated chainsaw for cutting 6 cords of firewood per year- although it would probably do it. But for what I do, it is way more than enough, and super easy to maintain.

No doubt stihl is the best if your going to cut a lot of wood. If your just going to cut some camp wood I got the Milwaukee and I love it. it’s good for cutting trees out of the two track road without making very much noise

I have a couple of Husky’s but I bought a client a battery operated Stihl and it works very well.

Which brand and model do you prefer?

Well i have the dewalt in the 20 volt version with the 12 inch blade. My dad brought his Milwaukee 16 inch. I cant suggest which is better. I have all dewalt so the dewalt chainsaw made sense.

I would say it was pretty equal. They both cut so quick and smooth. The Milwaukee being bigger definitely helped more.

My dad is a lineman and they quit using gas powered chainsaws. They become a pain during the winter and packing the fuel around in the line trucks. They went cordless. Made sense for when you only need it every so often.

Now the one down side i found with cordless is when you're constantly cutting the device gets hot and goes in safety mode. So if you plan constant cuts the gas power is the winner.

For battery chainsaws you can’t go wrong with dewalt or Milwaukee. And honestly the makita is legit.

I've used/owned the Ryobi 18v/10 incher for years in camp and around the yard here.

I'm content for sure

Robb

So how long will the entire saw unit last before the batteries are wore out and can't be replaced due to becoming obsolete?

So how long will the entire saw unit last before the batteries are wore out and can't be replaced due to becoming obsolete?
Good question. I've had my DeWalt 60v for 6? years and have not noticed any degradation yet. But eventually, as batteries go, they will. The saw itself still seems like new as well. Only thing I've replaced are chains as they wear out.

I haven't seen it mentioned here but don't overlook the Oregon battery saw. I have one and love it. Cuts great and batteries last quite well. Dad has a milwaukee because he had the batteries already. Both get the job done.

Thanks
We use battery operated tools at the house and shop but have never considered taking them on a hunt. We camp a minimum of 7 days on the vast majority of our hunts and make a camp fire every night. We also cut a weeks worth of wood in case we get snowed in on deer and elk hunts. We cut juniper, cedar and aspen. We bring home most of what we don’t use. We use Stihl, Husqvarna and a 32 year old Craftsman that still runs like a beast. I am very interested to know how the batteries do perform at elevation and run times though. Good luck.

I work for a guy that cuts down trees and does tree trimming for a business and almost all he uses is Stihl. I think he has 4 or 5 gas powered Stihl and then one milwaukee battery powered.

We use battery operated tools at the house and shop but have never considered taking them on a hunt. We camp a minimum of 7 days on the vast majority of our hunts and make a camp fire every night. We also cut a weeks worth of wood in case we get snowed in on deer and elk hunts. We cut juniper, cedar and aspen. We bring home most of what we don’t use. We use Stihl, Husqvarna and a 32 year old Craftsman that still runs like a beast. I am very interested to know how the batteries do perform at elevation and run times though. Good luck.
Batteries don't care about elevation only temperature. Never really measured but with two batteries fully charged I could probably do at least a half cord if not more. They really do last if you aren't trying to use the whole bar length during a cut.

I have the Milwaukee. It saved my but this hunting season ! massive Aspen tree down blocking my way out! cuts wood like butter! it leaked bar oil initially but I have all Milwaukee tools so it made sense

Batteries don't care about elevation only temperature. Never really measured but with two batteries fully charged I could probably do at least a half cord if not more. They really do last if you aren't trying to use the whole bar length during a cut.
Higher altitudes may cause batteries to reach their endpoints sooner due to reduced oxygen in the environment.

Here’s a wimp’s question for you badass lumberjocks.

How wood an electric chain saw work, with a Honda 2000 generator on……. say a 8-10” log?

Hey Lumpy!

Probably Work OK!

But We Cut Tree's With Limbs Bigger than That!:D

Your Question Kinda Reminds me of the Funny Where The Guy Driving The TESLA is pulling a Trailer With a Generator in it with an Extension Cord from the Generator to the TESLA!

How wood an electric chain saw work, with a Honda 2000 generator on……. say a 8-10” log?

electric car1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Lumpy!

Probably Work OK!

Your Question Kinda Reminds me of the Funny Where The Guy Driving The TESLA is pulling a Trailer With a Generator in it with an Extension Cord from the Generator to the TESLA!

View attachment 70380
Don’t laugh. That might be most of us in a few years, except the generator will be in our PU bed. Makes a lot of sense ha!! ??

I have a stihl farm boss and now the dewalt 20v. I absolutely love both for different jobs. The dewalt is always in my truck and always ready for work. I have one bigger battery that I use for my saw and also for my ice auger. It will do several hours worth of cutting without needing a recharge. For camping, hunting, etc. The dewalt with one full battery and a back up is all I need. If I was going to cut a massive load of wood, like stack the truck bed full then I am going to run my stihl. But while I am running the stihl my wife or son will be right there with the dewalt.

I use my dewalt for my ice auger. 23" of ice drilled when temps were -12F to 6F I got 43 holes drilled... The newer flex are not nearly as susceptible to cold as the old. Then the newer charger has a hot cold delay, that prevents issues as well. I charge in my uninsulated unheated garage and it does fine. I can also charge off the dash in my truck.

It will work until the log is far enough off the road that your extension cord won't reach. :)

I'm not sure if the corded electric chain saws have the bar oil like the new cordless ones do.

I cheat. I just use my commercial grade Milwaukee sawzall with a 12" wood blade! 14 ga 100 foot cord and I'm good.

Hey Lumpy!

Probably Work OK!

View attachment 70380
It will work until the log is far enough off the road that your extension cord won't reach. :)

I'm not sure if the corded electric chain saws have the bar oil like the new cordless ones do.
I’ve got a hardly used Husqvarna that I used to cut the big stuff. Not eel big stuff from the coast…… the 2lumpy big stuff from the Fish Lake. The SOB is harder than hell to start, and I’m hardly man enough to start it cold let alone when it’s warmed up. And, I cut very little big stuff any more. If I do, I badger one of my boys to “go for a little ride”.

What I need is something to use, quick and easy, around the yard….. to cut firewood, trim fruit trees, take camping, and hunt griz with, etc.

image.jpg

I cheat. I just use my commercial grade Milwaukee sawzall with a 12" wood blade! 14 ga 100 foot cord and I'm good.
I do the same thing with mine but it’s a bit of a pain in the butt and it shakes the crap out of me when I’m trying to shove it through a bunch of tree branches, leaning out over a 10’ stepladder.

It’s too slow to cross cut firewood. ?

Be an interesting study to see the weight to work ratio for a traditional gas fired saw and extra fuel vs the weight and work production of a battery powered eclectic saw. I know with my ice auger the drill and batteries are way less weight and a battery probably does the same work as a 1/4 gallon of mixed fuel. For that I can carry 5-6 additional batteries and not be close to the weight of a gallon of fuel.

Be an interesting study to see the weight to work ratio for a traditional gas fired saw and extra fuel vs the weight and work production of a battery powered eclectic saw. I know with my ice auger the drill and batteries are way less weight and a battery probably does the same work as a 1/4 gallon of mixed fuel. For that I can carry 5-6 additional batteries and not be close to the weight of a gallon of fuel.
I wouldn’t own a gas powered ice auger, if I had to go back to cutting ice with a crowbar. I love my Ion electric battery auger.

I have a cordless Milwaukee chainsaw. Really didn’t have too high of expectations. I was surprised at how good it works. It’s a keeper
Don P

Anyone use Makita's ele chainsaw? I've heard good things about Milwaukee, but I have plenty of batteries to use for a Makita.

I wish I had 2Lumpy's Husqy about 2 days each year. My gasser finally had enough and gave up the ghost.

Anyone use Makita's ele chainsaw? I've heard good things about Milwaukee, but I have plenty of batteries to use for a Makita.

I wish I had 2Lumpy's Husqy about 2 days each year. My gasser finally had enough and gave up the ghost.
Good to have you check in again Mike. I’ll tell you what……. it won’t take much to own it. I had it serviced a year a so ago and I never fired it up since I brought it home. When I set it up to take that picture, the service tag was still hanging off it.

I poke around here now and again. DM me a price if you want to clear off the walker. ; )
I need a replacement and have been looking at both ele and gas. I had a husqvarna that served me well for 25 years and then I lent it out to a family member. They returned a boat anchor in place of a decent saw. haha I had 2 choices- move on or offend the relatives. I'd rather pay $$ than deal with drama....

I wouldn't hesitate to use a battery powered chainsaw as a camp saw, especially if you're good at sharpening a chain. A sharp chain is critical. If you can find one with an American made battery? I don't know.

Eel, I was checking prices on the battery powered saws down at Home Depot today. They had a couple cord powered too.

Have you ever tried a power cord chainsaw, for power and durability. The ones I looked at were all under a hundred dollars. For yard work, trimming trees and cutting saw mill slats, dragging the cord won’t be an issue, as long as the power was there. Tempted to give it a try for $70 bucks.

Eel, I was checking prices on the battery powered saws down at Home Depot today. They had a couple cord powered too.

Have you ever tried a power cord chainsaw, for power and durability. The ones I looked at were all under a hundred dollars. For yard work, trimming trees and cutting saw mill slats, dragging the cord won’t be an issue, as long as the power was there. Tempted to give it a try for $70 bucks.
I've never used a corded one but I think it would be fine for what you're wanting to do. Your 372XP is sure a fine saw.

Thanks eel. It was pricy but It cut the heck out of these big beetle killed spruce trees around here but……. this one is a SOB for me to start and for this yard stuff it’s just not practical, so…… I think it needs a new owner.

If Packout can deal with the start up, he’s probably gonna get a deal he can’t refuse.

I bought a corded saw a couple years ago for trimming Christmas trees and light yard work. The cord makes it kind of a pain but it’s awful handy to have around. I gotta say though, walking out of the Home Depot with it under my arm, I had a guy ask if I had to turn in my man card to buy it?

I bought a corded saw a couple years ago for trimming Christmas trees and light yard work. The cord makes it kind of a pain but it’s awful handy to have around. I gotta say though, walking out of the Home Depot with it under my arm, I had a guy ask if I had to turn in my man card to buy it?
Thanks Shadow.

Regarding “the guy”………. he’d be right. It’s been liberating. You’ll understand, sooner than you expect…….. an that’s a natural fact. ???

Yeah, I’m just old enough now to understand the advantage (or necessity) of lighter and easier. The guy who ask me was probably in his early thirties. His time will come…
I have a 455 Husky and rarely use it because the electric is light and easy. I’ve been eyeballing the cordless makita for awhile now.

Yeah, I’m just old enough now to understand the advantage (or necessity) of lighter and easier. The guy who ask me was probably in his early thirties. His time will come…
I have a 455 Husky and rarely use it because the electric is light and easy. I’ve been eyeballing the cordless makita for awhile now.
Ha, I’m not sure if you meant the 455 was heavy or the man card. I found the man card is a whole lot heavier than the 372. LOL!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom