Can Elk and Deer Co-habitate?

B

BowHuntWithaRifle

Do Elk really drive Deer out of an area, or can they co-habitate? I have a Cow tag, and want to hunt deer at the same time. I am looking for a nice four point or bigger but am afraid the Deer will not be around the Elk. Do I hunt them seperate or can there be nice bucks around Elk? I have a Controlled Cow tag starting October 15th. Not sure what to do. Do I hunt Elk in one area and Deer in another? Anyone have any experience with this?

No they wont.
48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-08 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]maybe we could do an "EXPERIMENT" and find out.

Just Living The Dream

WTF???

I THOUGHT YOU WERE MIA???

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Yes you can hunt them both in the same area! I see deer and elk in the same canyon and wandering around each otheer. but there might be more deer in one area and more elk in another. thats how it goes down in UTAH anyway!

I know legally they are not allowed to be on the same ridge as the other, but i guess that doesn't mean the couldn't be on the same mountain. Something about them not playing well with each other. the President of the Bucks and Bulls Together Forever signed it into law last year.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

They can - but it is highly frowned upon by most religious and right wing moral groups.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

They sure do on the Monroe unit. We saw more deer than we did elk. Of course, the buck to doe ratio and age class of the deer sucked, big time; but with 1,000 bubba's riding around in pickups with arrows nocked, waiting to jump out and shoot the first thing with horns, no surprise there.

Good God berry, it seems as if you know an aweful lot about those sort of things!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]Elk can survive on anything. Deer can't eat the same thing elks can to survive. So when the deer food runs out there are still elk there cuz they can eat alot of different stuff. I read about this in a article. They will coexist but I can tell you one thing you are not going to find a big buck by a bunch of elk, or atleast in all my years in the hills i haven't!

Like A Rock!

Not true at all Z71. I had 3 bull elk and 1 huge buck in my FOV at the same time in August through my spotting scope. We were in Colorado of course (where the elk and deer do co-habitate) but that kind of blows that theory.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

wholelotta if you were in colorado city would this be true? cuz I think you have to stay in the same family there. Honestly, most animals will somewhat coexist, except with sheep, nothing wants to be around those stinking basturds, but they sure taste good!! I think I would look for deer since your elk tag is for a cow, cows seem less choosy than bulls. my .02

From my experiences sitting at water holes during the archery hunts over the years, I would have to say YES they can and do co-habitat. I not tell you how many times I have had elk and deer run into the same water hole at the same time. They sometimes come in together and other times seperate. But they do not mind watering together and grazing in the grass.

I have seen it every year for 10 years.

2pointer

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-08 AT 08:36AM (MST)[p]A few years back I was sitting on a large meadow where we had been watching a big 3x3 that was going to be a great last day buck. I got into position early and watched the 3x for a while, waiting for him to move closer. He started 500 yards out and was feeding without a care. He was feeding closer so I decided to be patient and wait for a good shot. There was no one around, and I couldn't close any more distance. The ball was in his court and I had time on my side.
About a half hour before the end of the hunt, a group of elk started to cross the river that bordered the far edge of the meadow. I didn't have a good view of the water but suddenly could hear what sounded like 10 guys crossing the river. The sound that ten guys make going across a duck pond on their way to the blind. Thrashing and splashing, with the sound echoing across the water. Next thing I know,a small group of cows and spikes came into the field. The deer immediately perked up and grouped into a bunch. My shot immediately dissappeared. There were three spike bulls and they took off straight for the deer. It was like three bowling balls, on fire, headed for a group of pins. It never seemed aggressive but more playful. The young bulls ran every deer off that piece in a matter of minutes. The bulls covered 500 yards end to end bucking and kicking, having a blast. It reminded me of watching yearling deer that had just come out of hiding. I sure you've seen how they run around and act nutty. It was pretty sloppy and muddy and the elk were sliding around while tying to make turns in the turf. One bull in particular loved sliding on his back for stretches of 10 to 15 yards. He's pop up, look around for something to chase and be off again. It reminded me of kids on a rainy day practicing their slides into third base. In hindsight, I shouldn't have been so cocky and killed the buck earlier. Years later, I probably enjoyed the memory of those spikes acting like kindergardners more than I would have killng a deer that would have been just another deer.

So may answer is yes, elk can run off deer, and if you get to see it, its a kick.

five_point_buck
C.B.C.S.

I remember back in '76 on a ranch outside of Craig, CO one evening a few deer were heading down to a watering pond on the ranch and the owner and I sat there and watched the Deer run the herd of Antelope away from the pond.
Remember the owner saying, "wish them deer would RUN the damn goats out of my ranch". He didn't like them then.

Brian

My two cents worth. Elk and mule deer can coexist. But I believe one species will flourish and one will just exist at lower numbers than if they were there alone. I also believe it will usually be the elk that flourish over the deer if the habitat will support them. Even when there is ample food and cover for both I think there is some spatial competition that precludes both species from reaching full capacity. Do I have scientific data to back it up? No. It's all conjecture. But I would really like to see someone study the idea before we sell our mule deer souls for elk. I don't believe you can have both at the levels and quality we would like to.

That's just my 2 cents and it's worth no more than that.

Yes, they often do. I think if one is more prevelant than another, it is more related to habitat than any other factor.

They appear to do okay in my freezer, but by the end of the year, there are usually more elk left than deer.

Sometimes friends and relatives show up and then the population of both seem to disappear sooner than normal.

We'll I think any buck deer co-habitating with cow elk in the rut should be sentenced to death.

> We'll
>I think any buck deer
>co-habitating with cow elk in
>the rut should be sentenced
>to death.

For that matter any bull elk co-habitating with any buck Deer should be sentenced to death.... well need to issue Homoungulatetranspecies management tags.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -- Abraham Lincoln

I'm surprised that noone has posted a picture of deer and elk together, so i went and took some myself. they were to far away to get a good shot, but the 2 elk are small bulls.

100_3789.jpg

100_3788.jpg

So the answer to your question is "YES"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom