Can i add new acid to an old battery?

nvhunter

Batteries on the rv went pretty much dry this winter from lack of maintanance on my part. I added distilled water and then put them back on the charger. Now they will only hold about 1/2 to 3/4 of full charge. Can i add new electrolyte to them, or is this a no no? I have searched forums and one guy will say yes while another says no. Anyone ever done it?

nv: Your lucky the batteries are still working after you re-added water or acid. In a lot of batteries once the batteries get real low or out of water/acid the batteries build up heat. Then they will crack inbetween several cells where you can't see the problem. Once you add back liquid the battery cells with the cracks cross connect and short out the battery ../dead/done/finished :) As stated best to get new batteries and start over to enjoy your next trip...

))))------->

I just added water. Yes i know im lucky they are still working, i have had enough dead batteries to know i got lucky. Ya i kinda fell down on the maintanance this year, thought about it alot just never got it done. I guess i will just bite the bullet and get some new ones. I've looked a little already, anyone have any good reccomendations on where to buy?

Buy some new batteries and use a Battery Buddy when it will not be used for more than a few weeks.

Your batteries are junk. Replace them. In reality you'll never get them back up to new capabilities.

This is from [http://www.trojanbattery.com/tools/faqs.aspx]

When should I water my batteries?

Water is lost during charging. Therefore, the best time to water your batteries is always at the end of the charge cycle. However, if the electrolyte level is extremely low or the plates are exposed to air, add some water to cover the plates before starting the charge cycle.

How often should I water my batteries?

How often you use your batteries will determine the frequency of watering. For example, the weekend fisherman may find he only needs to water the batteries in his boat once a month. While a maintenance supervisor for a golf course might need to service the batteries in their golf cars every week. Also using batteries in a hot climate may require more frequent watering. It is best to check your new batteries regularly as this will give you a good feel for how often your application will require battery watering. WARNING: A brand new battery may have a low electrolyte level. Charge the battery first and then add water if needed. Adding water to a battery before charging may result in overflow of the electrolyte.

What is the proper electrolyte level?

Liquid levels should be 1/8 inch below the bottom of the vent well (the plastic tube that extends into the battery). The electrolyte level should not drop below the top of the plates.

Do you ever add acid to a battery?

Under normal operating conditions, you never need to add acid. Only distilled, deionized or approved water should be added to achieve the recommended levels mentioned above. When a battery is shipped in a dry state or accidental spillage occurs, electrolyte should be added to the battery. Once filled, a battery should only need periodic water addition.

nv: If you have any Costco's in your neck of the woods within driving distance you can save a bunch $$. Their batteries are as good as Delco and other top rated bat's...We've used thier brand batteries for years with no problems..

))))------>

I learned the hard way just a week ago! Don't add acid to any battery and try to charge it! The damn thing blew up in my face and threw acid all over my shop and chunks of the case were over 100' away!

I should have titled my post different, i don't mean acid but electrolyte which has a diluted concentration of acid in it. I have already decided to get new batteries instead.

On another note and something that everyone should be careful of, this fall i was out in the hills hunting and shut the truck off to get out, look around etc. Got back in the truck and turned the key to start it, and one of my batteries blew up. I don't mean it popped a little, it flat blew up! It blew the entire top off, spread acid(electrolyte) over half the engine compartment. If someone would have been standing anywhere close to the engine with the hood up they would have been covered. There was NEVER any indication prior that there was anything wrong.
So that old saying of never stick your face over the battery, i live by that now!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom