Can I hunt with it?

ELKOHUNTER

Very Active Member
I plan on hunting unit 51 for an OTC elk with my bow. My bow is set at 28'' draw with 60 pounds draw weight and 65% let off. I'm shooting a 360 grain arrow with a 100 grain muzzy. Can I hunt with it?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

To the first question yes it should be legal.
I am not sure but the question should be, if I go there will I see elk? To that question I will say I doubt it. Will you see evidence that wolves have wipped out the elk population? Yes!
Also the moose are gone, the antelope numbers are WAY down, and for the most part you are going to be lucky to see a deer. If you see a deer over 120 BC points you hit the jackpot! But look on the bright side almost all the private land is leased so no hunting on private land, and You are only about 80 miles from the nearest gas station so you are going to use 1/4 of a tank just getting more gas. You will need to hope the gas prices stay low. Ron

Wow that bad? I was going to go with a guy that hunts it every year and he says he sees quite a few elk nothing huge but he sees elk. I live in NV is there a better unit closer to me that you think I would be better off to go to?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

In today?s paper the F&G are saying that the herds are seeing a 15% loss due to wolves. They also say that without wolves they would be seeing a 7% increase in population. What that adds up to is a 22% loss. They also said that the wolves are moving south to find game. Wow how long will we have hunting with a 22% loss in herds per year? Yes there will be elk here if you come. The question is, why would you want to arrange a hunt in an area that is being hit so hard by wolves. The elk will eventually stop bugling in the fall, and they will never be in the same location long. Putting them to bed and going after them the next day doesn't work well in areas with heavy wolf numbers. Right now I know of no over the counter tags for elk that I would even want to have even if they were free. If the F&G do what they should, the whole state should go to a draw, even archery. The numbers of tags sold must be cut by at least 50% or some wolves MUST go. They can't have both high tag sales and high wolf numbers. Right now the only thing that they can control is the hunters. Ron

Thanks for the info guys. I will give it some more thought.

if you guys need info for NV just ask.

I've hunted 51.. and unless you know a rancher that has elk hiding on their place.. good luck finding elk. Too many people, not enough elk, and those dang wild dogs are making that unit a no go. 51 would not be my first choice by far unless I knew a rancher that would let me hunt. Ron is right.

thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom