Canada

BeDawg

Possibility of moving to Canada, What area would have the best Mule Deer hunting or provide the best opportunity for hunting in general?

Alberta is the best for nonresidents. Only residents can hunt muleys in Sask except for reservations. In SE Alberta, the best outfitter may be Graham Brigdon. He hunts south of Medicine Hat in the Elkwater country and clear down to the SE corner of the province. Best up north is likely Scott Taylor at Bearpaw, but Mike Ukrainetz also kills some studs. Taylor and Ukrianetz hunt near Peace River. I've never seen a place with so many big bucks as I have in that country near Peace River.

BC is, in my opinion a distant third. They kill some big bucks, but not like Alberta. Taylor has averaged over 190 on deer some years. That's amazing. I got an email from Urkrainetz yesterday and he has a few discounted 2014 hunts left for this year.

Best of luck.

If you are looking just for trophy mule deer, Sask has probably the best Resident opportunities as they kick out a bunch of giants every year. Muleys are on draw except for archery. Meanwhile the best overall hunting is BC. The most diverse species in North America with most being over the counter and with very liberal seasons. You can hunt mule deer for 3 months a year every year with a rifle and a bag limit of 3 deer a year. There are plenty of giants here but you can't easily find them due to all the trees. Heck, where else can you hunt mule deer, Colombian blacktail, Sitka blacktail, whitetail, Rosevelt elk, rocky Mnt elk, stone sheep, dall sheep, California bighorn, rocky mnt bighorn, mountain goat, mountain caribou, Canada moose, wood bison, grizzly bear, black bear, wolf, cougar, lynx, bobcat, coyote, and wolverine.

>Possibility of moving to Canada, What
>area would have the best
>Mule Deer hunting or provide
>the best opportunity for hunting
>in general?
-------------------------------------------
Yes it is difficult to beat the Peace River Region.
We consistently take big muleys there.
Greg Merriam
Master Hunt Broker
Master Land Owner Voucher Broker
Discounted Hunts LLC
Outdoor Writers LLC
Pro-Staff Dead Down Wind Scent Products
Pro-Staff Benchmaster Shooting Accuracy Products
1204 Button Rock Drive
Longmont, Co 80504
303-776-7528 Voice
303-746-1214 Cell Phone
Facebook: DiscountedHunts
Twitter: @ DiscountedHunts
Linkedin: DiscountedHunts
Google+ : DiscountedHunts
Email: [email protected]
Web Page: http://www.discountedhunts.net
Web Page for Vouchers This is the Link to the land Owner Voucher List
http://www.discountedhunts.net/Pages/LandownerVouchers.aspx

BCBOY I had no idea you guys had that many animals there. Sure sounds like an awesome place to live.

If someone were to move to Alberta from the states is there opportunity to do a DIY deer hunt? Is there a lot of public land that can be hunted as well?

BC, how many different species can you as a resident hunt almost every year? I know there are some big bucks in BC as I've seen pics of the ones you and your friends kill.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-14 AT 10:32PM (MST)[p]>BCBOY I had no idea you
>guys had that many animals
>there. Sure sounds like an
>awesome place to live.
>
>If someone were to move to
>Alberta from the states is
>there opportunity to do a
>DIY deer hunt? Is there
>a lot of public land
>that can be hunted as
>well?

I believe the residency requirement for Alberta is 1 year before you can aquire a Alberta hunting licence. After that DiY opportunities abound. Alberta is much like Sask with most critters on a prioity system draw. IIRC whitetails and black bear are the only critters not requiring a draw. They have moose, bighorns, black bear, cougar, and pronghorn LEHs and a very limited Mountain Goat draw as well. more critters available than Sask, but not even close to the opportunities that BC has.

Hard to believe in BC most of our critters can be harvested every year on GOS with Limited Entry for certain management units and/or season dates. The only critters that are Limited Entry Only are Dall Sheep, Grizzly, Bison and Rosevelt elk. The yearly baglimit for sheep is 1. So if you did an early season Aug Stone hunt and were successful you wouldn't be able to hunt Rockys or Calis in the fall. If you were unsuccessful, just carry on looking for another sheep species. The yearly baglimit for deer is 3. This can be a combination of muleys, whitetails and blacktails or if you hunt multiple Regions, you could focus on 1 species if you wish. Sitka blacktails are not included in that baglimit but have their own baglimit of 10 IIRC. Moose baglimit is 1. Elk baglimit is 1. Caribou baglimit is 1. Mountain Goat baglimit is 1. Black bear baglimit is 2. cougar baglimit is 2.

>Possibility of moving to Canada, What
>area would have the best
>Mule Deer hunting or provide
>the best opportunity for hunting
>in general?
------------------
Moving to live or moving to hunt Muleys?

Greg Merriam
Master Hunt Broker
Master Land Owner Voucher Broker
Discounted Hunts LLC
Outdoor Writers LLC
Pro-Staff Dead Down Wind Scent Products
Pro-Staff Benchmaster Shooting Accuracy Products
1204 Button Rock Drive
Longmont, Co 80504
303-776-7528 Voice
303-746-1214 Cell Phone
Facebook: DiscountedHunts