caping advice

P

pmanzanares

ok frist i never had the chance to do this my wife was lucky got an pronghorn tag in a good area need some advice on what to do i would hate to mess this up if she gets one

My wife drew one last year and I didn't want to ruin it so I skinned it from the front of the back legs, forward to the front legs, I didn't split it up the back at all, pulled the skin off the front legs and then skinned up the neck, and cut off the head. Make sure you have some big coolers and ice to cool the meat and cape down. Antelope are some of the best tasting animals if they are treated right, get the hide off and gut it and cool it down asap, try not to get much dirt or sage on it. You could take a tarp to help keep it clean. Hope this helps

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Make a circular cut all the way around mid belly, make a cut on each side right behind the leg and cut down the BACK of the leg (not the inside) down to the knee and cut it off. Next cut up the back of the neck to the base of the skull and cut the head off. Let the taxidermist skin the skull if you've never done it before.

Euros way would work too but it will take you twice as long and the first thing his taxidermist did to that cape was make the exact same cuts as I just told you.

Marley is right. Check youtube, there are vids on this. Not tough at all. Leave the face to the pros.

Do as was said as far as starting midway on the animal, then up the back of the front legs to the knee. However, I do not recommend cutting from the top of the back all the way up the neck to the head. This is not necessary and a lot of taxidermist (Myself being one of them) Do not want all this extra sewing. Once you get it skinned around the front leg you can just skin all the way up as if it is wearing a t shirt and you are pulling the shirt over its head. When you get to the neck cut the neck off and your good to go. Check out this video, it'll show you what I mean.

I would recomend marleys way you need to cut down the back of the neck. If you dont all the heat will stay in and it might get ruined. I have had to tell to many people thier capes were ruined because they did not cut down the back of the neck

However, I
>do not recommend cutting from
>the top of the back
>all the way up the
>neck to the head.
>This is not necessary and
>a lot of taxidermist (Myself
>being one of them) Do
>not want all this extra
>sewing.

Short incision on an antelope? Their head is bigger than their neck, so unless you want to cut the head off the form, slide the cape on, and reattach the head, you have to use a long incision.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom