Caribou question...

U

UThunting

I was thinking of going up with my wife and hunting caribou and maybe moose but I have no idea as to what it would cost and I knew that someone here at MM has been on one of these hunts and could give me some ideas as what I would need money wise to really get ready for such a hunt Thanks

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

I went on the outfitted Alaskan Barren Ground Caribou hunt that Cabelas offers in their Outdoor Adventures catalog.
It was one of the most enjoyable hunts I have ever been on!
My buddy and I took four trophy bulls in two days.
However this was back in 1998 and there were more trophy bulls than there is now, The Mulchatna herd has been in decline for a while, but I hear they are rebounding very well.
The hunt was about $3,000.00 back then.
Another option would be Central Barren Ground Caribou in Canada.
good numbers of animals and great country and reasonably priced as far as trophy big game hunting goes!
harryhunter50103-3.jpg

harryhunter50103-9.jpg

HunterHarry thanks for the info I would be thrilled if the price was still close to the 3000 mark as I could work with that

muskrat I sent you some mail thanks

Uthunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

Clynt,

If you wait awhile perhaps later this month, I can give you prices on a Caribou hunt as a member here is up in Quebec I believe right now. Said he would write me when he gets back.

Brian

kilowatt

I wont be doing anything for atleast 2 or 3 months so please let me know what he has to say that would be great

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

My son and I hunted 'bou in '96 - flew from SLC to Anchorage - then took float plane from there to hunt area. Used Ketchum Flight Service; 8-day hunt self-guided-provided our own food, camping gear etc. Total cost was about $4k for both of us (round trip flight SLC-Anch. ($250 ea); licenses ($410 ea); flight service ($1000 ea), food ($100 ea), 2 nights at motel in Anch.($80 ea), misc ($100 ea). We both got caribou and had a great time. I highly recommend Ketchum, but I know their flights cost more now though.

Clynt:

My step dad and I went on a self guided caribou hunt this year in Alaska and we had a really good experience. We went with Bill Wooden of 4 W Air out of Kenai and we hunted the Mulchutna herd. We saw thousands of caribou and we were both successful - we also missed a 400+ animal and saw several others at a distance. The new change to the caribou hunting regluations should have a pretty immediate impact on the number of bulls available (residents can take five caribou a year but now only one can be a bull and non residents can only take one caribou where they could previously take two). Here is a link to Bill's web site http://www.alaska.net/~fourwair/. Some of the pictures of our hunt are show on the 2003 Caribou link. The self guided hunts start at $1,495 per person - although you may want to consider the outfitted hunt where Bill provides most of the camping equipment.

You're welcome to contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Regards,
Todd

Hi Clynt - You might not remember me, but you gave me some help on SE Idaho mulies in 2002. I lived in AK for 10 years and have been on 7 or 8 fly-in hunts for caribou. I have also checked into Canadian caribou hunts and I believe you can go to AK cheaper. Regardless of who you fly with, you need to be very specific on the details of your hunt. I always like to have an option of moving during the hunt as well. Most of these flying services will have been taking clients to silver salmon just before the caribou season starts, so they should have the herds located. Then the trick is to gauge the herds general direction of travel, get a head of them, find a place to land, and get set up for the next day. You can get into just about any country in a Super Cub, but can't haul much. You can go in on a Beaver on floats and take whatever you need, but you need a good sized patch of water to land, which may not be right on the migration. It is always a bit of a gamble, but having the option to move can save a hunt. Also, it's good if the flying service has other clients (hunting/fishing) in the area, because as they shuttle them in/out they can fly over your camp, and don't have to make a dedicated flight to check on you (which you would pay for). There are few places where you can hunt a drop camp for both moose and caribou. It's better to move. I took a bull in 1994 that grosses in the low 440's and have another one that nets around 370. If it's true that non-residents can only shoot one bull, look over lots of bulls before you shoot. A good one will have palmated tops, long bez tines with lots of points and shovel(s) at or near the end of the nose. Back scratchers (backward pointing points off the main beam between the bez and tops)are generally a sign of a mature bull. This has gotten longer than I wanted, but I'd be happy to answer your questions if you PM me. Best of luck,
Dave

Sorry I have been busy I shure wouldlike to thank everyone for all the info it is helping alot

1BigDeer how was the deer hunt? and did you change you name here on MM since we talked as I do not remeber the name SORRY

That is some great info though it all helps and there is a lot of help in your post THANKS

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy UT

Its not the thrill of the kill its deciding who is predator and who is pray!!!!!

Hey Clynt - My SE ID hunt was last year and it was a bust for me. This year was great as it was my son's first year to hunt. See our pics in the contest section (Ristau's) and both of Patrick's bucks in the mule deer forum under "Son's First/Second Mulle Deer. Hope the 'bou infor helped. If you need more let me know. I moving to Id until we can return to AK. Hope to be there before school starts in fall 2004.

Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom