Carson Forest Closing Roads???

Wailing4Wapiti

OK, the good people at the forest service are telling me that they are starting to enforce the Carson MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) this year by issuing citations for anyone they catch off a legal road marked on the MVUM.

Well, they told me pretty much the same thing in 2012 but when we got there after Labor Day it was pretty apparent that most everyone on the mountain was driving trucks and ATVs on every two track up there.

So, my question is do you think it will be any different this year?

I know of many places that would be fantastic if the roads really are closed but worthless if people are driving right to them. I know there isn't any way to know for certain until we are there, but I'm curious if anyone has seen evidence of enforcement from summer scouting, camping, etc.?

I was told by the Black Range Forest District office that Gila Forest Travel Map will come out ~Nov this year and that until the map comes out nothing can be enforced, despite the travel management plan having been developed/approved.

Not sure if all Forests are on the same schedule (probably not), but I suspect that as I was told until they have a map that delineates open (vs. closed) roads, they can't enforce except for obvious places where there are berms or road closed signs, or blatant cross country travel.

Carl

Tonto NF has had them in place for 3 years and they will fine the crud out of you for camping in the wrong place or using a closed road. It is amazing that they complain about budgets but have 20 NF cops when the season starts. A buddy had to move his camp the first year. Told him move or pay a $1500 fine.

The Carson does have MVUM maps so that part is in place. However, they have had maps for several years now and nothing has been enforced as far as what we have seen. The crazy part is that the area we are in has one main road coming off the highway. One large sign at the entrance could explain the new rules, have a map behind plexiglass and an explanation that vehicular travel is only allowed on these designated roads.

When I suggested that to the Forest Service guy, he said it was a great idea except for the fact that the sign wouldn't last two days. Unfortunately, I know he is right. Of course my reply was "set up a couple game cameras on the sign and fine the crap out of the people who destroy it."

Not sure if the FS is enforcing this, but game and fish was on the 52 Antelope hunt. I heard more than a couple of folks got citations.

Travis

I spoke with Law Enforcement for the Carson National Forest today and was informed that the fine for being on a closed road or camped off a closed road is 150.00 dollars

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom