Casper Area

Triple_BB

Very Active Member
I think we've all heard more than a few times the G&F manages strictly for money. Went to the G&F spring meeting tonight. Apparently that ain't the case this year in the Casper region. The G&F is cutting antelope tags by 4400 and deer by over a 1000. I think almost every antelope area was taking a hit. Region D deer was being dropped by 1100 tags for non rezi's. They had some talk about making 66 deer a limited quota area in a few years. They're also eliminating the general season deer archery hunt in 34 which is long overdue. A few whiners piped up saying there was limited access in other general areas which is total BS. They sounded more serious about addressing declining deer numbers than I've heard before. Overall, it was a good meeting.

Antelope tags in that area needed cutting, deer have needed it for a long time. Good to hear they are trying to do something....

Wow that is awesome news! i live in casper and agree that there are way too many tags around these areas hopefully 73 antelope took a good hit in numbers, i would be excited for 66 to become limited draw, i know a few good areas that get the crap hunted out of them, wish i could have made that meeting

I like unit 47 antelope and I applied there this year.I hope to draw but not holding my breath with the tags being cut.I did not apply for deer this year.
Even if I do not draw the antelope tag,I am going to make the trip just for some nice vacation time.May stop and try to call up a coyote or two.I really like the area.

TripleBB-

thanks for the info., and that is good news on the antelope, I wish they had started down this road last year....

The G&F had been increasing antelope tags in many areas around Casper, especially last year. Does not suprise me one bit that they are now trying to fix their mistake. Deer area 70 is also supposedly going LQ according to the regional warden. Deer numbers are adequate in many parts of the area but 3+ year old bucks are way down. The habitat is good in 70 and improving in 66. I would like to see these areas go LQ but many opponents want to be able to shoot a fork-horn every year close to home.

And shooting a forkhorn close to home is bad because?

Good to see they are cutting tags where they need to be cut. I have been in that area and it is a fun place to hunt.

I'm mixed about 66 going LQ. Before they ever went LQ, I think they need to eliminate shooting doe's for at least 5 years, reduce non rezi tags even more and keep a short season. Then evaluate after a few years after that. You need doe's to increase the herd and LQ doesn't guarantee that. They did mention they were mulling making 66 a 3 pt or better for one year only similar to what they're doing this year in the areas around Saratoga.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom