Central Manti Elk Late season

VHUNTER

Looking forward to my Central Manti late elk hunt. I had 21 points. Really big zone I will probably stick to the middle of the unit although I don’t really know that area very good.
I was raised on in the outdoors and I am grateful for every adventure that I get to share with my friends and family! I am 64 now I figured I better hurry up and cash in my points and find a decent Bull.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You threw 1/3 of your life’s point value at a unit you admittedly know not much about, and plan to hunt the portion of it you aren’t sure of…. Hopefully the experience truly is more important than cutting a tag on a mature bull.

You threw 1/3 of your life’s point value at a unit you admittedly know not much about, and plan to hunt the portion of it you aren’t sure of…. Hopefully the experience truly is more important than cutting a tag on a mature bull.
Thanks for your reply, although it seems more like a slap in the face than you trying to be helpful. I have months to do research and yes I am 64 and have been hunting my entire life. I do have a lot of knowledge and friends that are actually trying to help.

I helped a friend on a late Manti hunt many years ago so I can tell you from that experience, it's not easy to find a decent late season bull.
In the two days I helped I saw hundreds of cows with scattered rag horns bulls with ease, but the bigger bulls were very few and far between. I did not see a mature bull while helping.
It seemed that time of year the bigger bulls were licking their rut wounds in isolated places or private land. No doubt they were around, but I did not see any.
My friend hunted hard every day of the season along with his brother who lives in the unit. In the end, he shot a rag horn 6 point just so he didn't eat tag soup.
My post is definitely not intended to be a slap in the face. I'm hoping you find a decent bull, or maybe even a monster.
Just know from my experience that hunt is not a cake walk.
Best of luck

Thanks for your reply, although it seems more like a slap in the face than you trying to be helpful. I have months to do research and yes I am 64 and have been hunting my entire life. I do have a lot of knowledge and friends that are actually trying to help.
Alot of his posts are just that. Punching away at the keyboard in his basement.

Thank you very much for your reply
I helped a friend on a late Manti hunt many years ago so I can tell you from that experience, it's not easy to find a decent late season bull.
In the two days I helped I saw hundreds of cows with scattered rag horns bulls with ease, but the bigger bulls were very few and far between. I did not see a mature bull while helping.
It seemed that time of year the bigger bulls were licking their rut wounds in isolated places or private land. No doubt they were around, but I did not see any.
My friend hunted hard every day of the season along with his brother who lives in the unit. In the end, he shot a rag horn 6 point just so he didn't eat tag soup.
My post is definitely not intended to be a slap in the face. I'm hoping you find a decent bull, or maybe even a monster.
Just know from my experience that hunt is not a cake walk.
Best of luck
Thank you for your post it is appreciated!
So I have learned quite a bit over the last week about this hunt and where to go. One off my friends knows a sub guide that has hunted that Zone or area for around 20 years and he said he would give some updates when the season was close to starting. He also shared information about several different areas within this unit.
My brother drew this tag two years ago and harvested a 340 Bull the first day, and he said he saw a Lot of bulls in that morning.
If anyone wants to trade or share some information please PM me. Thank you.
IMG_2586.jpeg

Thank you very much for your reply

Thank you for your post it is appreciated!
So I have learned quite a bit over the last week about this hunt and where to go. One off my friends knows a sub guide that has hunted that Zone or area for around 20 years and he said he would give some updates when the season was close to starting. He also shared information about several different areas within this unit.
My brother drew this tag two years ago and harvested a 340 Bull the first day, and he said he saw a Lot of bulls in that morning.
If anyone wants to trade or share some information please PM me. Thank you.View attachment 114484

I'd be happy to PM you info and where we hunted the unit a few years ago. Granted, a fire ripped through some of it, but not everywhere we hunted was affected by it.

I don't want our conversation to be thrown off by that other guy...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom