Chalk Creek/Kamas, Uintas mtn goat tag cut proposal

Tackdriver

Would anybody have any input as to why the Chalk Creek/Kamas, Uintas mountain goat unit has a tag cut proposal from 12 to 3 tags?

Would anybody have any input as to why the Chalk Creek/Kamas, Uintas mountain goat unit has a tag cut proposal from 12 to 3 tags?
Rumor has it it is because too many nanny and kids have been shot in previous years depleting the herd. That's the rumor at least. A good friend heard from the biologist that covers those areas.

In the video presentation included with the proposed tag numbers it was said that drought had dispersed the herds. My guess is it’s a combination of both factors. Either way this is the unit I put in for thinking I had a good chance at drawing with 17 points. Not anymore though…

I drew this tag in 2012 and I can tell you it’s night and day different now…
The everybody what’s to be “outdoorsy” hasn’t helped it either…

There is a lot of goatless country in there that could hold animals.
Not sure how much drought has affected that high country and its not like goats drink like elk.
I'd buy the excessive nanny harvest for sure. Super hard to tell and a mature nanny is more impressive than a young billy to some.
Don't other states have billy only hunts? Are us utards incapable of abiding by similar regs?

I feel that it should be Billy's only with a fine of 250$ or so for harvesting nanny and kids. It would force some to make sure it's a billy before squeezing.
There would also be some ground checking going on and that’s never good for anyone involved. Hunters, goats and future hunters. Tags are so limited as it is. I doubt killing nanny’s is the main reason for the recent herd decline.

As far as the kid harvests go. No one should ever be shooting those. I haven’t seen one killed yet, I don’t think it happens very often. If it does, please enlighten us

There would also be some ground checking going on and that’s never good for anyone involved. Hunters, goats and future hunters. Tags are so limited as it is. I doubt killing nanny’s is the main reason for the recent herd decline.

As far as the kid harvests go. No one should ever be shooting those. I haven’t seen one killed yet, I don’t think it happens very often. If it does, please enlighten us
Goat population dynamics are different than than deer and elk.

Is a good video to help understand.
It's no wonder the Willard population crashed after taking so many via a nanny specific hunt and captures for transplants.

Goats are a weird species! Look at units 240 & 250 in Montana. One’s 1983 & the other is this year. There’s not even a hunt in 250 now.

235E368C-9CDE-4F76-BC17-DAA2177C1D72.jpeg

723B9408-AA5C-42F6-82DF-C357E330D695.jpeg

88369CC5-159F-4941-AC47-71C5831836B5.jpeg

1C009CCB-8A1C-4DCC-983B-28A47550A193.jpeg

Here’s another example. One’s Idaho 1987 unit 67, there were 24 tags. There’s now 2 tags. That goat herd moved East into Wyoming them migrated North along the Idaho Wyoming boarder. That’s the goats that they’ve been shooting out of helicopters the last two years in the park. I’d like to know what makes them just up and leave an area? Mark

2CF13AA0-555B-45E7-8640-EF74EDCD32E4.jpeg

6162C06E-8067-4EE3-950A-CBB4C41C93F5.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe the reason for the tag cuts is twofold. The winter of 2016 was a rough one in that area. My friend that manages the Kamas fish hatchery believes that a good potion of the goats died of winter kill that year. That in turn made the hunt harder and people started killing nannies. Now the population is way less than half of what it was years ago.
My friend had the tag and I spent many days hunting and scouting last year. He got a decent billy but we had to work hard. And there were lots of places where there should be goats and there weren’t.

I had a tag this year, we saw one good billy. Due to Covid I was severely limited in my access to good areas, but checked the whole unit with no luck.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom