Chicks in my backyard

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
The end of this month I will be receiving chicks from my inlaws. We built a coop with deep litter design you only have to change every 18 months or a little less.
My wife is retired and she will do all the care of the birds. She is choosing a quieter variety of hen. That sounds like a myth, haha.
I must learn to enjoy these little invaders.

Most hens are fairly quiet. I currently have ISA Browns in my flock and they rarely make a peep. With that said, my buddy has silkies and mentioned that they scream like someone is ripping their wings off.

Silkies are nice show birds, but I'm in it for the eggs (and the quiet demeanor) :)

We are on our 3rd batch of chickens. None have been real noisy other than when ya disturb them while laying or toss some live food in their pen. They go nuts over a mouse, frog, or even worms. We have white leghorns now and those chicks are some egg laying machines. More of a hobby for the wife too.

I jumped right in from the title. Thought we had naked eco hippie chicks in the Koi pond. :(

Thanks for the humor and responses. Animal husbandry requires good care so it will give is some more duties but we get some good eggs to eat. I need eggs as I didn't draw a Utah tag again :/

The fresh eggs are great, and chicken **** is good for the garden, but you will get skunks, coons, wheasles, coyotes, bull snakes, and any number and flavor of cats..... Have a very secure pen, and good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom