Chili / Bean dispute

lve2143

Very Active Member
I say REAL chili only has meat and the spices.
I cook good beans too sometimes but it's a different
deal. Love good pot of beans.

My good buddy, BeanMan says you can't have
a pot of Chili unless it contains beans.

I think he is full of legumes.

Who is right here?

I think you are right, Chili, no beans...then again here where i live, i either won or placed high in every Chili cookoff i was ever in and i did them for a few years there. Mine had the beans. Not alot, maybe 20-25% beans.

Must be something to do with the part of the Country you live in.

I had some of Beanmans beans. By far the best i ever had. Made a pot of store bought beans n hamhocks today and just finished a mug full.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Sage, you're a hamhock, bean eating son of a gun. Question for ya, do you cook them frijoles in a pressure cooker, like my dear old momma used to do?

They's a lot o'great eats out there man, but hamhock and beans is right at the top of a long list. Throw in a pan of corn bread with Roger's Golden Syrup spread, and there goes the blood sugar.

If we ever cross trails, I believe we better have you brew up a batch! I'll just bet a bushy squirrel tail, yours are top shelf!

DC

There was a close to a Landmark place just up the road from me here that had been making and serving meals for almost 50 years. It was called "Ingram's Chili Bowl" and most people felt that Ingram's Chili (NO BEANS) was the best west of the Mississippi River. Eggs in the Red, Eldorado Special, Pig in the Red are just a few of the meals that Jack and later his son Bob dished out to blue collar workers and truck drivers for years.
Then the word got around and a lot of the LEO, Judges and Lawyers started to go there for lunch making it a hard place to have lunch, all the booths and counter stools were taking up.
Jack and his brother sold the surrounding property to some jerk, who in turn sold it to Home Depot but that caused a stir and so HD sold the property to Keiser Hospital and force the son out of business as he could not fight the big money Hospital.
All meals were served on a large military platter type plate.

I'm sure that Ransom and maybe a few others from around this area have or had eaten there before 2000 when it closed up....17 months before it would have been classified as an Historial Landmark.

As far as Beans being added to good Chili, as Jack who opened the place using the recipe from Grandpa Clarence in 1951 said, "If you want BEANS in my Chili, I'll give you a small cup with Beans and you can added them, why would I want to ruin a good meal with beans" unquote.

Too each his own I guess, but I liked just plain good old spice Chili cooked in a Navy kettle on low heat and stired with a saw down oak paddle. The meat in the pot was a special "cubed cut" tender loin beef. Sorry for the rant, just miss that CHILI.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I must say that I make some pretty damn good chili. My wife says hers is better but I disagree. IMO, saying chili shouldn't contain beans is the same as saying the tri tip is the best cut on a cow. It's an opinion. I soak my pinto beans over night. This softens them up a bit. In the am, I rinse them and put new water in the pot. I bring them to a boil and then add a bit of ground chili powder my Dad makes. I also add tomatoes, a few cans of kidney beans, onions, green chilis, season salt, cumin and a pound or 2 of ground turkey burger depending on how big of a pot I'm making. I don't use hamburger anymore because turkey burger is so much better tasting. Whatever we don't eat that night, we save for chili dogs 2 nights later. What ever we don't use on chili dogs goes to my Mom and Dad as they'll eat any leftovers we might have. :)

I make better chili than my wife. :)

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

2Lumpy, no, i never have used a pressure cooker.

My Dad's Mom, Nonnie to me, was noted far and wide for her beans. Got so, there was hardly a time when there wasn't a pot of beans either cooking or warming on her old half gas, half wood stove. She put in lots of Lingui?a, good Linguica that she'd order from our Butcher in town like 100 pounds at a time. The linguica was good to great on it's own or wrapped in buttered toast, also made in/on that old stove, but i think that was one of the things that made her beans so special.

I got the idea to try my beans in the chili cook-offs around here when i found a smoked sausage, from a little Mom and Pop Smoke house nearby, that tasted a lot like the Linguica i loved so much growing up on the Ranch. Anyway, i could put together a decent pot and it was fun for awhile there but i lost interest, that sausage isn't available anymore, and i've not found a suitable replacement for my tastes so i'll just claim that what i make now is passable.

I didn't rinse then beans today, change out the water. Nothing on the schedule for work so i hope i won't be grossing anybody out. Sometimes i swear, them farts can heat a person at night and raise the covers right up off the bed! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

In my previous life, as a Canuck, chili never was a staple in our larder. My palate hasn't cured as well as the chops on you ole boys that used habaneros for a teething ring, but I'm working at it, so I got no dog in this fight, I'll eat it with our without beans, make no never mind to me. Turkey chili sounds pretty frisky, I believe I could tolerate a little of that, now a again, if a bean was float'in around in it, I'd most likely just stuff it right on in with the rest.

Sage, I'm betting there were some rip roaring meals laid out in your Gramma's house, back in the times of your youth. A kid that never ate through a ranch house dinner, and wasted it down with a quart of ice cold raw milk, after sweating through a thousand bails of fresh hay, never got all there was out'a life!

DC

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-15 AT 04:57AM (MST)[p]I make some form or another weekly it seems.
I make most of mine with pintos now,and elk burger.

The key is good chile powder,and NM has the best in the world.IMHO.
I usually have about 6 different flavors,from bright orange Chimayo to Dark Paseo Negro.
Usually use just Hatch mild with a couple hot Soccorro pods thrown in. Fresh crop Cortez Pintos.
I've learned to tone the heat down.Still too hot for some.

Today I'll be thawing out an elk sirloin steak that I will mince and make plain Chile Colorado(Red Chile). Todays will bet thick rich dark Nambe style with some Dixon added for heat. Just meat and dark chocolate colored sauce. Served with plain pintos,red beans or Black beans and rice on side. I have some pintos from weekend.

My favorite is like Sages,pintos with Ham hock thrown in at start.Soak over night, rinse, and put on boil for an hour with minced onion,couple cloves of garlic,2 bay leaves,and add half cup Hatch mild,2 spoons cumin,and a dash of ground sage. Cook 4 hrs on low heat or crock pot all day.

Now I did make a big batch of red chile sauce over weekend.Fresh dried dark red Soccorro pods,seeded added to boiling water to soften.Then drained,and put in a blender with chicken stock for moisture.Salt, garlic powder. Blend till purree,strain in collander to remove skin, nice red sauce is final product....filled three big zip-locks.Ready for enchiladas or anything else. Plain ol' NM red chili sauce.

Then there's the annual NM fall green chile crop that is roasted fresh by the bushell in drums over fire. Roast til singed and skin bubbles up,put in plastic bags to sweat skin and cool.
Can be frozen in batches in baggies. To use, thaw, peel skin off,take out seeds, and slice/dice for Green chile.
This can be used on anything just about here,eggs,green chile cheeseburger,enchiladas.........with some red sauce on the side for Christmas Chile.....Red & Green!!

Red,Green,Meat,no meat,pintos,black,red ,anasazi....

I got the Chile world covered!

Chili ain't got beans in it. If you have a bowl in front of you with beans and meat in it THAT'S STEW!

Yankees have been ruining chile for decades now.

Spoken like a true Texican.

Funny thing is Texicans don't know chit about Chile.

Yeah,Chili from what I understand historiclly is just meat and chile powder.

Folks in Texas make good chili,and I've had some with beans and tomatoes...from a texican no less.

The worst is AZ,UT,followed by the plains and mid-west going away from NM.
By the way,Texas was a eastern chunk of NM for centuries before it was settled by folks run out of elsewhere.................

First of all, it's chile, not chili. I can talk a little about this because I'm from the chile Capitol of the world, New Mexico. Real chile starts with New Mexico ground chile pods mixed with a roux to thicken it, add garlic and water then use as a sauce to smother your burrito or add beef or pork to make a bowl of chile. This is red chile. Green chile ( same plant, just picked green) is roasted, peeled and chopped and then added to a roux in the same fashion to smother burritos or enchiladas.
If you add beans, tomatoes or any other crap that's a tex mex version that'll get you thrown out of any potluck around these parts.

Laro, you're messing with me. All us bean growers ask is that you eat a pound a week however you cook em. If they are fresh they don't need soaking.

Tristate, I ain't no damn Yankee, I'm a westerner. Big difference.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-15 AT 08:34AM (MST)[p]>First of all, it's chile, not
>chili. I can talk a
>little about this because I'm
>from the chile Capitol of
>the world, New Mexico. Real
>chile starts with New Mexico
>ground chile pods mixed with
>a roux to thicken it,
>add garlic and water then
>use as a sauce to
>smother your burrito or add
>beef or pork to make
>a bowl of chile. This
>is red chile. Green chile
>( same plant, just picked
>green) is roasted, peeled and
>chopped and then added to
>a roux in the same
>fashion to smother burritos or
>enchiladas.
>If you add beans, tomatoes or
>any other crap that's a
>tex mex version that'll get
>you thrown out of any
>potluck around these parts.
I've tied to 'splain the difference to folks Chile, the plant that is dried for spice,and what we know of it and it's history(10k yrs farmed at least)and what you see on a package...or in Tejas or ohio... chili. LOL
Cali comes close to real thing that is grown,but they call them Aniheims...we call Hatch

4677image.jpg

moms red chile with pork.....mmmmm my favorite food in the world!

beans are separate, nothing against beans, I like them too.

yeah once you get away from NM the chile just goes down hill.

I see the Yankees and Commies have a strong showing here. I here many of them have moved to Chile. }>

>I see the Yankees and Commies have a strong showing here. I here many of them have moved to Chile. }>

If either showed up on my NM doorstep..........well,SSS

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-15 AT 03:03PM (MST)[p]It appears there is some Texas envy going on here... Just sayin

2311idiot.jpg

Someone once said Texas is the bastard offspring of New Mexico. With some Cajun thrown in...
It was part for 200 yrs. Just saying.

Well when I want chili I'll go to the bastard stepchildren long before I beg acceptance to the NM pinkies up club. Don't get any "chile" on your tie while the Texans cover your pansy ass at the fight.

Amen Tristate.

I'm not messing with you Fred,
I eat my share of beans as well.

Think I'll brew off a pot in your honor.

I'm from south of BeanMan and you don't have chili without beans! Wiz-bangs recipe is close to mine except I like elk neck for meat. I've since moved to the front range and eat more green chile now using hatch chiles my sister gets from Pueblo. I guess at least 50% of my diet involves some variation of green chile and beans! BTW, soaking is good, but pressure cooker is better!

>Well when I want chili I'll
>go to the bastard stepchildren
>long before I beg acceptance
>to the NM pinkies up
>club. Don't get any
>"chile" on your tie while
>the Texans cover your pansy
>ass at the fight.
Uh,I've heard that mouth before,when I was mopping the floor with a Texican.
My pinkie is bent closed from work and right hook.Ain't no commie. Just not stupid.
I don't wear a tie or a suit.
That's for pansey ass Tejas wanna be cowboys.....and I do mean boys. And their buddies!

They do make some good stuff ,just different and not as good as here.

You gonna start talking about your jail tats and Harley? Why do I feel like I am talking to a 12 year old kid? Apparently chili is an image issue with you. Like I said, very pinkies up, sweetheart. ;-)

Damn right pinkies up! It's called culture and pride, obviously something you have neither of Tristate. Oh, and you can add class to that list also. I know folks all over the country that are proud of their local fare. Personally, I like to learn about different cultures and how food is often the center of gatherings and celebrations. if I can pick up a tip or two from a thread or website about how to prepare a dish as authentic as possible, I'll take it. From the tone of your posts, sounds like you have a very close minded view on life. How sad...

> You gonna start talking about
>your jail tats and Harley?
> Why do I feel
>like I am talking to
>a 12 year old kid?
> Apparently chili is an
>image issue with you.
>Like I said, very pinkies
>up, sweetheart. ;-)

No tats or $hit like that. Easy to talk $hit about folks if you've never been there or know anything about them besides what you see on tv or in a movie,which is wrong.Your online bigmouth,look up chile.
I'm 60 and not real worried about what some dummie online thinks.
Your welcome to come here and try some real Chile sometime.
But then your stuck in chili land . Probably in the east someplace.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-15 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]> You gonna start talking about
>your jail tats and Harley?
> Why do I feel
>like I am talking to
>a 12 year old kid?
> Apparently chili is an
>image issue with you.
>Like I said, very pinkies
>up, sweetheart. ;-)

No tats bike or $hit like that. Easy to talk $hit about folks if you've never been there or know anything about them besides what you see on tv or in a movie,which is wrong.
Your online bigmouth,look up chile. The Plant.The Spice. Check your spelling.
I'm 60, in the most remote place NM and not real worried about what some dummie online thinks.
Your welcome to come here and try some real Chile sometime.
But then your stuck in chili land . Probably in the east someplace.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-15 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]Well..............the title did say "dispute".

By GAWD, we got'ter done.

Took a few passive posts to get her started but worked at it for a couple a hours, manned up and delivered the goods................... reliability is such a virtue! ;-)

DC

lol, is the stuff that comes in cans, where did that come from?

I've eaten a few cans of chili-e, most had plenty of beans in there. Best i had of them didn't have any beans at all. Cost twice as much to keep the beans out but they left the farts in. :)

I only tried growing peppers once. It got late in the season when i finally got around to picking them. With just a small bite off the end, suckers would flat kill a person, dead, he might just die right there they were so hot.

Joey

NMwapiti,

Pride and culture??????? Its chili sister. You wanna call that crap Hunt4elk has been typing "pride and Culture". Talking crap about other people you don't know on the internet?????? That kind of class????? Making bigoted statements about an entire state???????? Yeah, class, culture, and pride, that's what everybody here is thinking right now.

Hunt4elk,

You come on talking sh!t to everyone on here like every other nuttless bluff on the playground and then accuse me of being internet tough?????????? Did I talk about "mopping floors" and calling an entire state bastard stepchildren. Blow it out your ass. That's where your credibility went.

Beans/no beans...meat/no meat...red/green .....chile/chili...I like it all boys/and lady, just make sure it's hot and there's plenty of it! Variety is the spice of life!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom