Choke Cherry Syrup Anyone?

2lumpy

Long Time Member
Highly prized in my house hold. Harder to find the berries in this high desert country but on wet years like we had this year, there are few around. I waited a little too long to gather them and the birds had already got most of them. Took me five hours to pick a gallon worth. ?

2F50A43B-BBCD-4938-9A82-D7FAE1174197.jpeg
52A58EA8-02FC-49AF-9603-A9ABE5A11642.jpeg

We get them every year. Love the stuff. Wife makes jam as well.
Jam is good but I’m a bigot, I only want the syrup……. Pancakes, French Toast, and Vanilla Ice Cream…….. it’s in my blood stream… from being raised on the Alberta short grass prairie.

Yep, now imagine, each of those stems holding those clusters having one berry on it. It takes a bit longer then. Like I said, the birds (robins specifically) go to them first. ?
I’m really surprised the bears haven’t eaten them all around here but the service berry’s and acorns are just as thick.

I can pass on the chokecherries, but we do have 5 gallons of fresh raspberries picked and ready for jelly making next week!!!

Looks tasty. Never made it, does cooking those things get the bad taste out?
No………. but the sugar does. ? Recommended ratio is for every cup of juice, add one cup of sugar. Still has a tart taste but also sweet.

I’ve shared quite a few jars with friends over the years, if they didn’t grow up on it, they have a strange habit of “not” asking for a second go at it. It’s kind of an acquired taste sort of thing, I think.

I've never eaten a chokeberry, but I suspect they're called a choke-berry for a reason. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
Ha….. I’m sure they are…… they put a grit on your teeth the second you break the skin on one of those little buggers…… not nearly as nasty as a raw olive however.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom