Christensen Arms

sniper14

I know their are two types of Christensen Arms guns. One that runs close to $5000 and the other that runs 1500. Anyone know the difference and why so much of a cost difference. Is the $5000 one that much better?

lol....no kidding.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

One cost $3500 more that the other and is still a waste of money..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

This is just my personal opinion, but I would never consider buying a custom rifle that cost $1,800.00 or more without the builder giving me a written guarantee on the accuracy of the rifle with a paticular load and that accuracy meets my standards.

If he will not give me a guarantee, that tells me that he does not have good faith in his rifles and he will not have me as a customer.

RELH

Their 5000 dollar gun has a 1/2 Guarantee their hunter model does not. The basic hunter model is nothing more than a factory remington barrel turned, carbon fibered, stuck back on the action, and put back into the remington stock. Their carbon custom has a match grade barrel, trued up action, and a carbon fiber stock. You can build a carbon custom for half of what they ask, I done it twice and both of mine will shoot under 1/2 inch. I built a 300 rum and a .257 weatherby. Hope this helps.

How do you make one yourself. Do you buy all the parts and then you put it together. I can barely take my gun apart and clean it. Is it hard to do?

Sniper14, I am not trying to dis you, but if you have to ask how to build a accurate shooting rifle, you may not have the knowledge and equitment to do the job. You would be better off having someone build it for you.

There is a lot more involved them just pulling your factory barrel and screwing on a match barrel and bedding it into a stock.

RELH

If You want an accurate rifle and are willing to be in that price range look at Rifle's inc , Lex builds affordable guns that shoot from super light to target weight without the phoney gimmicks.

I've got two of Rifles Inc.'s guns (.340Wby. & .257 Wby.) and I think that they are among the best values in the custom gun industry. He does not miss a detail and they are superbly accurate. I think he is $1500+ less than any of the other big name custom gun builders. You get a perfectly balanced, finely tuned, precision shooting piece when he's done. In fact, when you handle one of Lex's guns, you will be dissatisfied with almost all others.

Just go buy a remington off the shelf, break it in right, Have the trigger cleaned up and tuned, work up a load, and your done. Hell all my remingtons have shot 3/4 inch groups or less.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Dont get me wrong I would love to have a custom rifle. Just dont have the money for one. I want a nosler in 280 AI. But my regular ole remington in 280 shoots inder half inch and i have all the confidence i need in the rifle. Maybe someday ill be able to afford a custom gun.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Lex has raised his prices a little but not much. the Strata is $2900 with your action, other models are a little more or less.

For what you get and the fact it's not a crap shoot hoping you get a good gun out of it I think his prices are very fair.

Stay thirsty my friends

I agree that his prices seem fair enough, I was just excited reading people say that he was priced around $1500! The $2800 put it out of my price range. I would love to be able to though!

Be patient. I just bought a used Rifles Inc. 300 Ultra on here for $650. I might need to lap the rings though ;)

Wasn't a lapping kit the last thing Billy Maze sold before he died? it was either that or the barrel resonator I don't remember.

Stay thirsty my friends

The prices that some of these big name custom gun builders are getting now amazes me. If you're providing the action, you can get a custom rifle built for a lot less than $2,800. Do your homework, there are alot of really good gunsmiths out there that don't have the big name and don't charge what these guys are charging. FWIW, you could get a full blown custom with a custom action built for less than $2,800. Take a few minutes and price out all of the individual parts yourself (i.e. custom action, stock, barrel, trigger, bottom metal, etc.) and you'll get a rough idea of what these guys are charging to assemble the rifle. My family and I all have full blown customs that shoot lights out and I can guarantee you that we've not spend that much for any single unscoped rifle. I'm sure they all build great rifles, but I think their prices are highly inflated. Just my $.02. Good luck, once you have one built you'll get the bug and want a couple more.

The quality of gunsmiths and their tooling vary greatly. what you're saying makes perfect sense and if I hadn't had dozens guns built by dozens of smiths I thought were all better than the last I'd agree.

Part of what you're paying for is the gaurantee, when you buy a gun from Lex or Bansner or one of the semi custom guys IT WILL SHOOT you know that when you place your order. have any 'ol gunsmith do it and you're rolling the dice, I'm not that lucky.

It's been cheaper for me to pay for the sure thing.

Stay thirsty my friends

The previous christensen "hunter" models used cheap plastic remington sps stocks that would bend and flex and consequently the rifles shot horrible. If you replaced the stock with a good hs precision or whatever it shot much much better. The new version "hunter II" has a much better stock and and shoots better.

I have a custom .300 ultra and it shoots great, within the .5 moa guarantee with premium factory ammo. My rifle has a titanium rem action and the bare rifle weighs 5.5 pounds, its a dream to carry into the high country.

My dad had a Carbon One Custom made that was a real POS! Ended up sending it back and getting a refund. Had to threaten to drive to Utah and kick some AZZ but he finally got his money. He now has a Johnny Cash rifle that shoots awesome.

On the other hand I've heard of people whose Christensen Arms rifles are real tack drivers.

A full blown custom rifle is going to cost more then $2800 or less. Parts alone will run that much.
Custom fluted barrel average $450.00
McMillan stock fully inletted $500.00
Jewel trigger $250.00
Bottom metal $200.00
Custom action $1100.00
Total parts $2500.00 + or -
Add to this bedding, chambering, fitting & cutting & crowning the barrel, painting if needed. The parts list can be tweaked a little but your not going to save much with custom parts. You can use a donor action and save a little but by the time you have it accurized it will be close to the cost of a custom. All gunsmiths are not created equal. There's a reason the top shooters use Gordy Gritters, Jim Borden and other top gun builders. I use Chad Dixon @ http://longriflesinc.com/ . Go to his site and check out his posts on his build steps, you'll see why the top builders charge what they do. I spoke with Christensen Arms prior to having my first custom rifle built. They refused to answer any questions about their trade secrets. I also asked them about turning a barrel down AFTER it was rifled (every top gunsmith I spoke to said that was a SERIOUS no no) Rather then give me an answer they said I didn't know what I was talking about. That turned me off right then. I spoke with Gordy Gritters and Jim Borden. Both were more then happy to explain their build methods. I ended up going with Chad because by the time I got off the phone with him my head was spinning with info overload. These are the results.
firstgroup-5969.jpg

I also have a couple factory rifles that will shoot just a well. So why spend close to 4 grand for a rifle? Just got a bug I guess. My wife is a chrisis social worker so I told her that I was going thru my mid life chrisis and I needed her help to make a decision. I was either going to buy a little red corvette and get a younger girlfriend ( with big hooters of course) or build a custom rifle. She didn't even hesitate, she said I could build all the custom rifles I wanted :)
Wes

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom