Clapton vs Bonamassa

Bonamassa is great and I listen to his music often, but he's got a Looooooooong ways to go before he can reach the likes of Clapton.

Clapton is not god, but amazing. His achievements are more than legendary, probably the best blues / rock player ever. Times are a changing, what happened then probably can’t happen now. Bonamassa is humble and gives credit to others. The more he does, the more I appreciate his greatness. He can stand up with anyone on a stage.

It's hard for me to pick because I always associate the artist with the group. Match Eric Clapton with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, for example. A complete package.

Joe Bonamassa and Eric Clapton together. Tough choice.

Do any of you know of Sean Costello. I saw him many times as he traveled through the Denver area, 3 times at the Little Bear if that means anything. Check YouTube, esp. The Hucklebuck to start. He died way too early in 2008 of an overdose, at 28 not 27. His death still bothers me, it seems like yesterday. A truly gifted musician.

Bonamossa is technically as good as anyone ever. I personally feel he lacks a little personality to his style. But still an unbelievable player.

As far as greatest living player, I’d take Gilmore over both.
As far as the young players go, I’d take Derek Trucks over them all.

Stevie played a dive bar in town while I was in College in East Texas, 3 times. What shows they were.
Saw Bonamassa in a 1500 seat theater and he was awesome but no Stevie.
First time I knew of him was on a show called Austin City Limits or something to that effect. I was blown away. Up to that point I listened mostly to butt rock. Butt rock being my buddies description of hair metal. Glad I found Stevie. Led me to more and better music. mtmuley

Enjoyment of musicianship is vey subjective. Off the top of my head, a list of great deceased blues guitar players I would include would be the 3 Kings, Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan, Johnny Winter, and others. Bloomfield, maybe the first of the great white blues guitarists.

Mike Bloomfield was a relative unknown because he played mostly the blues genre in a rock era. That and he couldn't kick his heroin habit and it ended up killing him. Much like Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison, his demons got him. But make no mistake-he was on par with those 3. Clapton was even impressed and influenced by Mike Bloomfield. Google him and you could find a youtube video about his life. It's about an hour long, it seems.

I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned Robben Ford. Outstanding blues/jazz guitarist.

For you country fans, Albert Lee, may be the best country picker ever. And he is a contemporary of Clapton. Small world.

For anyone who cares, of the best still living, is it Clapton or Bonamassa? I used to think Clapton, but as prolific as Joe is, my opinion is starting to change. For the unaware, Google Joe Bonamassa and be amazed. On YouTube look for Beth and Joe. “I’d rather go blind”.
Two way different styles of playing. Mrs Sikora and I have tics for Beth Hart in the middle of May I think.

It's hard for me to pick because I always associate the artist with the group. Match Eric Clapton with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, for example. A complete package.

Joe Bonamassa and Eric Clapton together. Tough choice.

I seen a YouTube vid of Joe Bon was telling the story of what all took place the night of the show. Sound check was at 4:30 Clapton walks on the stage he had a fender amp and a brand new Fender Strat that a local guitar shop lent him I going to assume he have a tech or someone from Joe’s camp carry the stuff in. Any he says that he plugged in play the song in one take later play it for the crowd then Eric went back to his house,

For anyone who cares, of the best still living, is it Clapton or Bonamassa? I used to think Clapton, but as prolific as Joe is, my opinion is starting to change. For the unaware, Google Joe Bonamassa and be amazed. On YouTube look for Beth and Joe. “I’d rather go blind”.
Bonamassa for sure that boy can rip on that guitar I'm a big time blues listener
Anymore the blues players are making new music that is great

Doyle Bramhall II
He’s in Eric’s band when he can. Andy “Fairweather” Low. He’s the guitar player you see with EC on Unplugged Etc. look up his rendition of Gin House Blues.

I saw Clapton in Denver several years ago and he was playing with Doyle Bramhall, Derek Trucks, and Steve Winwood. Bramhall is really good.

Steve Winwood has always been on my favorites list.

Joe Walsh is right up there as well, kind of a weird dude but he rips.

Last edited:
Ahh..
I was just funn’in with Coloradoman.
I agree with everything you say.

But the best ever hands down?
Nope, nobody is the best ever. But he has to be on the list. My listening tastes change over time so I’m always looking for the next best one. Currently I’m obsessed with finding the best Umphrey’s Mcgee youtube performance. Not easy when there are thousands. Their guy Jake Cinninger is near the top of the best guitar player list somewhere.

I saw Zep back in the day, and it was a very sloppy performance. I would not consider them great musicians but Bonham could beat the crap out of those drums. YMMV too.

I notice as I get older, a lot of the music I like best is associated with memories.

Miss Georgia Doyle’s sister
1712429723512.jpeg

Answering the OP's question, Clapton. Been a fan of his for, OMG, almost 50 years! He's definitely at or near the top of the list. Man has 9 lives though. Glad he's still around.

Bonamassa is dang good also.

SRV died in a helicopter crash in 1990. He was touring and opening for Clapton at the time. I attended the first concert after his death. Hated SRV wasn't there.

But I gotta post a link to this. The baddest version of the baddest guitar rock ever. Ignore the audience though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom