Clear Lake zone 2 antelope

sourkraut

Hello, After 30+ years and max points I've drawn a tag for Clear Lake. I have been through that country in the past but
not very familiar with it by any means. Now at a "young" 72 years, I'm hoping to make the best of it while I can still pick them up and lay them down. I've ordered new maps and will scout before the season. I doubt I'll ever draw another antelope tag in my lifetime and would appreciate any information pertinent to the unit. Thanks, sourkraut

I'm sure you will get lots of help here. Congrats on drawing the tag. Though i've not hunted your draw area, i've hunted several others both by drawing out and by going with friends that have. All have been exceptionally fun and rewarding hunts.

Good luck in getting what you are after!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

My friend drew it a few years ago and shot a very nice buck. The one thing he stressed, is that you should apply for the drawing to hunt the Clear Lake National Wildlife Refuge, the deadline is coming up soon.

+ 1 with what hntfool said. If you don't get drawn, hunt south of the reservoir, in the grass lands.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-13 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-13 AT 05:10?PM (MST)

Congrats on the tag!

I pulled the archery tag this year (my third time) and just returned from my first of many scouting trips this year. I was surprised how much water there is this year and the amount of animals was better than I've seen since the late '80s/ early '90s.
I have three more trips up before the opener and will be happy to share what I find with you after my season is complete.
-Dave

Plenty of bucks. Dont need to worry about the special draw. Let them have at it. Lower tire pressure, and put on miles just south of lake and east. Spot and stalk. There are lots of water so hang out mid day when hottest, they'll be around. Dont shoot the first one u see.

P8240139.jpg

droolz, nice Kali lope you got there!! Congrats

SourK, Nothing like a good scouting trip to pick up the spirit of the hunt. I drew out several years ago, area 5, and made 3 or 4 trips to get permission on good private land and look over what the area had to offer. I also got to be buds with some of the locals as i dropped in for burgers, fuel, the regular stuff, and seemed everybody wanted to help me get the best antelope that i could.

I don't usually find the same reaction when i tell folks that i've a deer tag in my pocket. Seems deer hunting, there's lots more tags and everyone keeps their honey holes close to the vest. But being Antelope tags are so few and far between, i found good info just for the asking.

I hope that you make this hunt all that it can be and give it the time and attention that it deserves. I know myself, in a lifetime of hunting all over the Western States, even though i only ended up taking a nice representation of what is available, i still consider that solo trip made a few years ago to be one of the very best adventure hunts in my lifetime.

Also, my scouting trips turned up at least three different lopes that i feel no doubt would make Book and one that would place fairly high up. They were all in areas that i had permission or public land. When the season started, i passed on a Dandy, maybe a book lope himself, because i knew of a Bigger one in the area and it was first day just past first light. No moral to the story, just how things panned out for me. Good luck and can't wait until you can get back to us with pic's maybe and a story of how it went!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom