CO Antelope Points Worth It?

Ramaha

I'm curious if it's worth it? We started building CO Antelope points last year. Our plan would be to go DIY on public land. I understand that Antelope typically inhabit the Eastern 1/2 of CO which is primarily private land. Has anybody done this on public land? If so, were you successful? Would you do it again, and/or would you recommend it?

We don't want to just buy points for fun if the end result is either no hunt or a bad hunt.

Thank you to all in advance!

Wyoming is the best bang for your buck as far as antelope goes... Colorado has very few good antelope units and most take 10+ points for resident to draw.

4-5 points in Wyoming will get you a great antelope hunt with a good shot at better than average buck on public land, with good numbers of antelope.

If you’re applying for everything else in CO, why not? There are antelope all over the state and plenty on public ground. But antelope hunting in CO is widely considered “not worth writing home about.”

If your willing to use a muzz you can hunt good units in half the time as rifle or less in CO, 5/6 years or so. Over 10 for rifle with the best units. The best CO being avg units in Wy. Wy takes less points as others said. CO is similar to ID quality. Really if your already applying in the draw why not for few bucks, you add it into a elk or deer trip down the road if you have two or three extra days or scouting trip/pronghorn hunt etc.

I started buying points there just as a side note while applying for other animals. I now have 19 points. Just need to decide if this is the year or not. I’d say apply and before you know it you’ll be able to hunt.

I understand the WY is a better/quicker bang for our buck. But, we're all already building points for another CO Mule Deer hunt, so what's another $30.00/each? Plus, it might be a hunt we do when we're not in line to draw anything else that given year. I think we'll just apply for another point each year, and some day our group will burn 'em all and we'll have another Western hunt together. That's what it's all about for us anyways, not shooting "book" animals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom