CO Units 78, 81

R

rwbowhunter

Does anyone archery elk hunt these units which i believe contain part of the South San Juan wilderness area? I never see these units commented about good or bad, just wondered if i was missing something.

Thanks

I hunt there every year. Archery hunt every other year. Your not missing something. Most people who hunt these areas find it to be too crowded. And they actually have to hunt. Take last year. Lots of people hunted 80/81, from what I heard myself and a buddy of mine (both of us locals) were the only ones who shot an elk. So everyone blamed the DOW for there not being enough elk, swearing that they would never hunt 80/81 again. I have hunted there 20+ years and am 89% successful or meaning I harvested an animal. Lots of areas, beautiful country. You won't see too many people saying anything good about 80/81. However if you want some good areas I can hook you up with some info. I can put in rough country, easy to access, walk around country, you name it. Places to camp, or places to stay, I might know a meat processor or two as well.

81 has alot of people, but if you get way back you will be alone. There are not a bunch of elk, but I missed a cow and seen a few here and there. The logging company really had the area screwed up. Take a fishing pole.

I am planning on backpacking into the wilderness area for the archery hunt, I spoke to a drop camp guide at a trade show that operates in the north part of 81, he said there are good chances to get an elk in the area but the northern end is extremely rough terrain. I have never been to the area at all but I am planning a scouting trip in July just to get a look at the area.

Thanks for the heads up

I've been hunting 81 for 10 years (last 5 with bow) and have had a lot of fun. It is beautiful country, with varying degrees of steepness. But there are times when it can be very frustrating, the elk seem to move around a lot, an area with lots of elk one year can be nearly empty the next. Try to have a Plan B (and C...D...etc) in case you're not having any luck.

Just one other word of caution. It is generally true that the further back in you get, the fewer people you will see. However, some of the wilderness areas are heavily outfitted and you might run into a surprising number of people with horses.

Good luck.

There were a ton of horses and the outfitters were coming in more and more by the time we left. I hunted Jarosa Peak to Red Lake and down to Trujillo Meadows. That is a good snap shot of where we were. The logging pushed the elk we were chasing out. Pretty country, but if I were to go back I would go further north toward Tobacco lake and such.

I should draw an archery deer tag this year according to draw odds for 80/81. Figuring I will buy an OTC elk archery tag to boot. I have a general idea where I want to go. I plan on doing a bunch of backpacking this summer to get things figured out. Only problem is I am solo as of right now. Would really like to team up with someone or a group perhaps. Anyone interested?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom