Colo. Landowners Vouchers

kilowatt

I'm sure everyone has noticed this banner flashing on this website here. Anyone ever had any dealings with them and if it is worth the cost?

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-05 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-05 AT 05:20?PM (MST)

I'll only comment about the unit I know about.

Why would anybody pay $450 to $900 to buy a Colorado landowner voucher for Deer in unit 41, 42, and 421 when you can draw that tag 100% of the time for a lot less money? After you buy the voucher you STILL have to buy the tag.

Beanwondering

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-05 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]Kilowatt. Since you're a moderator on this site and Brian designed their website maybe you should ask him. A voucher is a voucher and it doesn't matter if you by it from him or Ronald McDonald.

Buyer beware as vouchers are being sold out there these days for units that have leftover tags and or require no points to draw.

I will agree that due diligence is required whether a person is shopping for a guided hunt, landowner voucher, trespass hunt, or anything else. Know what you're buying before buying!

To answer your question Kilowatt. Landowner vouchers can be a good way to go. Some people buy them specifically so that they can hunt an area that is tough to draw.
Other people buy them for units that could be drawn as a first choice, simply so that they can still accumulate a point in the draw.
If you draw your first choice, you don't accumulate a point.

For example, unit 40 could possibly be drawn as your first choice, however, if you go that route, you don't get a point (and would lose the points you have). So, some guys will apply for a point as a first choice, then buy a landowner voucher for the area. That way, they get to build points while still getting to hunt a particular area that doesn't go completely undersubscribed.

For many, it's worth the dollars to continue accumulating points for use in a much better unit years down the road.

Unit 43 was a topic not long ago. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe a 3rd season 43 tag could be tough to draw as a 2nd choice. Therefore, a guy who doesn't want to burn what points he has, may consider buying a landowner voucher if he really wants to hunt that unit while still accumulating points.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Well I suppose that some people have enough money that they don't care. I'm not one of them. Over the years I accumulated 11 deer preference points. It turns out it was a stupid thing to do, or perhaps I used them stupidly. However, I accumulated half of those points drawing unit 41, 42, and 421 as second choices.

Sometime you are buying a preference point and a hunt, just be sure you aren't throwing your money away.

If you've got the money, go for it.

BeanMan

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-05 AT 07:07AM (MST)[p]Please check my figures, but I am pretty sure I am correct.

Unit 43 last year could have been drawn with a 4th choice for either the 2nd or 3rd season.

There were 1500 tags available split between the 2nd and 3rd season. 1275 were available for the general draw, and the rest were landowner tags. 619 were drawn as a first choice, 282 as a second choice, 47 as a 3rd choice, and 19 as a 4th choice.

May not be a sure thing this year, but I would risk it by putting in for a preference point as a first choice and 43 as a second choice.

Now the 4th season is another matter. 43 tags and 244 applicants. However, it only took 1-2 points to draw that tag last year.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You are probably right txhunter58, and it shouldn't change much from last year to this year.
I appologize, I should have looked before writing. Sorry!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

By the way for those that didn't look for themselves: Units 41, 42, 421 did not have any tags drawn as a second choice in 2004. It was virtually 100% draw for 1st choice however.

So, you could not have gotten a preference point and drawn a tag too. The idea of paying for a tag to guarantee a tag AND a preference point has merit in for these hunts.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom