Colorado 3rd Season Unit 53 or Unit 40

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
My brother in law and I are thinking about burning our deer points on third season tags in Unit 53 or Unit 40. Have any of you hunted these units in the past? What recommendations do you have for us? We are willing to hunt hard and be patient but would like a chance at a good buck. Feel free to post, p.m. or email. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Hawkeye-

Let me throw one more unit in the mix - unit 54 third season. Thanks again for any help. Let me know if I can help you with Utah info.

-Hawkeye-

I believe read somewhere that 54 has had some winter kill. 53, even though basically on the other side of mountain range, has had little winter kill. Tough decision. Are you thinking about using an outfitter?

BEFORE ITS OVER FOR ME (AGE 62) I WOULD LOVE TO HUNT 54 LATE AGAIN WITH WEATHER. IT PRODUCED MY 2 BIGGEST BUCKS TO DATE. ABOUT 2 POINTS SHY AT PRESENT............YD.

I applied for unit 40, and in saying that I know it will be difficult due too limited access to public and large tracts of private. You will need a good gps with chip and willing to walk to hunt 40, it's a lot of desert canyon country.
How many points do you have? I haven't heard much about 53 lately, but I seen some good bucks around Hotchkiss a few years ago, which I think is unit 63/64. Good luck in the draws.

Thanks to everyone that has responded or PM's me with information. My BIL and I are sitting on 9 points as NR's but given the late season dates this year we are expecting some point creep in most units. Therefore, the a 3rd season tag is Unit 53 is probably out of reach but we could draw Units 54, 40 or even 30.

We are willing to be patient and hunt hard but we would like a chance at a nice buck (170+). We know its hunting and there are no guarantees but want to use our points wisely. How much of our success in these units will be waether dependent? And gievn the later hunt dates this year, do you think we will see any rutting action during the 3rd Season dates?

Thanks again to all and I will make sure to report back and post photos regardless of how it turns out.

-Hawkeye-

That 54 3rd could be a real good one. Any 3rd season hunt could be awesome. Some bucks will be snooping around the does.

You may want to look at any 4th season hunts you might could draw also.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom