Colorado Archery S-9?

TheSaint

Anybody have info they are willing to share about S-9? I talked with a friend that hunted it years ago and all he really allowed is how rugged it is. I'm looking at an archery hunt the 1st part of August and am not too concerned about how rugged the terrain is. I just want to know if there are sheep in this unit etc.

Check on bowsite. Last year a guy named John MacPeak killed an archery ram in 9. Don't remember who his outfitter was.

Thanks, I'll do that. I live a few hrs away from the unit and planned on A DIY. Maybe he'll have some usefull info he can pass along.

Thx again,

A few years ago the sangre's had far and away the most sheep of anywhere in the state, (500+ I think) 36 total tags offered and STILL very few archery succesful hunters, when your sample is this big and still poor success rates you've got to figure there is a reason, i.e. they weren't all lazy roadhunters that got in over their heads with the rough country. But any sheep hunt is a good hunt!! As long as you don't fall off a cliff.

All of the harvest stats including base and length horn measurements are easily available on the DOW'S website under hunting tab and statistics tab. If that doesn't make you want to consider other units I say "Good luck" and eat your Wheaties. Its not just the rough-ass high elevation mountains. Its extreme lightning conditions in August and a low sheep population currently for the size of the area. I hunted it in 2000 and killed one of the best rams taken out of there in the last 10 years and its an average mature 11 y/o Colorado ram, yet "Top End" for the Sangres.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-10 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]I really appreciate the responses. I've talked to a half dozen people now and I think I'll put in for a different unit.

Thx again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom