Colorado dead head laws?

H

hunter_59

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-11 AT 11:40AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-11 AT 11:39?AM (MST)

Deleted!! Just trying to find out the best course of action!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-11 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]First off, I'm not sure about the Colorado law. Second, I sure as hell wouldn't come on the internet telling people I brought a sheep skull home without knowing if it was legal. Probably your best course of action would be to delete your post.

15 years ago me and my brother found a road kill bighorn by Cripple Creek laying in the brush off a steep bank.
It was very decayed and had blue paint on it's horn's so we figured a vehicle hit it.
Anyway we hauled it to his house in his chevy blazer (winter time and this thing stunk).
On Monday he called DOW and they asked him to bring it down, he filled out a form on where it was picked up they plugged it and it was his.
We still laugh about that drive with the rotten head.

You don't have to notify them and it's perfectly legal to keep a sheep that you found, though, they may appreciate a heads up and where you found it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-11 AT 08:08AM (MST)[p]I am pretty sure all sheep horns need to be plugged by the DOW to be legal. Even if they are a pick up. It would be worth a phone call to save some headaches in the future if they find an unplugged ram in your posession. If you do call and find out, let us all know what they say for future reference.

sagefrog

>I am pretty sure all sheep
>horns need to be plugged
>by the DOW to be
>legal. Even if they
>are a pick up.
>It would be worth a
>phone call to save some
>headaches in the future if
>they find an unplugged ram
>in your posession. If
>you do call and find
>out, let us all know
>what they say for future
>reference.

FYI, Colorado will NOT plug sheep horns that are picked up. Horns must be plugged to be legally sold here, so they will only plug legally harvested sheep.

They may have done it in the past. From the sheep and goat brochure, page 2, "Mandatory Bighorn Sheep Check," number 3: "It is illegal to trade, transfer or sell ram heads, capes, skulls or horns unless DOW inspects and permanently marks horns. The DOW marks only legally killed rams."

They used to plug them, not any more. My brother found one back in 2002 (I think) and the DWM was not interested in even seeing the sheep. How big is the ram?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-11 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]This is a picture of the head as I found it.

64102011_bighorn_ram_head.jpg

I called the CDOW today and the gentleman I talked with said that it is not against the law to possess the skull but he wanted more information such as picture and gps coordinates on where it was found. He stated they do not plug the skull anymore but said they would want to "tag" it. Not sure what that involves. I will keep in contact and let you all know how it evolves.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-11
>AT 11:35?AM (MST)

>
>First off, I'm not sure about the Colorado law. Second,
>I sure as hell wouldn't come on the internet telling
>people I brought a sheep skull home without knowing if it was >legal. Probably your best course of action would be to delete >your post.

Kinda pointless to delete a post when you restate the facts.

Very cool find!

I deleted the post during a brief panic thinking that maybe something as "innocuous" as picking up a skull could be a legal nightmare! In fact, in some states it is, I found out after the fact. Luckily for me, not Colorado. I have since talked with the CDOW about this and they are issuing a "letter" on CDOW letterhead that will solve any future issues that may arise.

Thanks for the heads up, Sheperd! By the way, what is the law in Washington for picking up the same head?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom