Colorado Deer 2016

coyoteslayer

Hoping for a little advice on finding a unit to hunt. I want to for sure hunt 3rd or 4th season next year. I have 12 non resident points. I do not want to have to deal with a lot of private. I hate wondering if I am on private or public. I like areas I can glass. I do not need to see a lot of deer and will not shoot one unless it is a real nice buck.I will go for a 180+ Buck or something real unique. If I cannot find one of these, I will eat tag soup. When I started putting in for Colorado, unit 30 was my destination. I wish I could hunt unit 30, but fear it is not what it once was. thinking about unit 61, but afraid I may not have the points to draw, and I want to draw next year. Thinking about 53, but know nothing about it, but should be able to draw. I think I could for sure draw unit 40, and I know people who have hunted that unit and had success, but feel like I may be giving up points. Also thought about 71 4th season, but worried about all the deer on private. If anyone has any advice or other areas I need to consider, it would be much appreciated.
Also, I would rather hunt low country than high country. Thanks again, pm me if you wish. willing to share information on other states also.

You should have the points for a unit 70 4th season. I went on that hunt several years ago and it was a lot of fun. If I had the points I would go there again in a minute.

I would also not rule out unit 30. There is no doubt it has declined over the past few years, but with the late dates and if the weather comes, that unit can produce some big bucks. All in all, it probably doesn't matter what unit you choose, as most people have already stated every unit in Colorado is capable of producing a big buck. You just have to choose one, do your homework, and go.

I did some research on 53 last year and ended up not going there. You can draw 53 third but not 53 fourth.

Third season is over the counter elk so lots of orange shirts around.

I talked to some different outfitters and references that had been there. One outfitter told me that he couldn't in good faith take my money for a deer hunt in 53, he thought it was that bad. He had outfitted there for years and before the 07/08 winter kill there wasn't any problem putting you on a 190 buck. He hadn't guided a deer hunter since then.

The hunters I talked to had mixed results but none gave a great review. I was looking at third season.

Fourth season is probably better, fewer elk hunters and more deer pushed down from the high country.

I HAVE HUNTED 53 TWICE, ITS NO LONGER ON MY RADAR. THE UNIT IS ONE THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHERE TO GO IN THE UNIT, AND BAD WEATHER, SNOW & COLD IS A MUST. I THINK NOW IT TAKES DOUBLE DIGIT POINTS............GOOD LUCK ............YD.

Thanks for the responses. I for sure need to do some research on different areas. I do have some good starting points now. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Although not what it used to be, I have seen pics of some absolute hawgs from season 3 and 4 here.

I have heard good things about season 3 and bad. Like all units, depends on the white stuff.

My buddies hunted 53 third season this year with I believe 10 points. They drew this tag 10 years ago and shot a 195 buck. Excited to go back but a little disappointed. Saw lots of bucks including many 4 points each day. Never saw a shooter in their eyes. Not saying their there but nothing close to 180.

My 2 buddies hunted third season this year in unit 53. They drew this tag 10 years ago and shot a 195 buck. Excited to go back but disappointed. Saw lots of 4 point bucks every day but nothing Even close to 180.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom