Colorado DOW

CCity65

First off, let me say that my elk preference points are not near as important to me than they are to many others. I consistently have great hunts year after year on my second choice hunt... And no, I don't have a secret spot in a secret unit that produces 300" bulls year after year. I normally shoot a cow on my second choice while collecting a pref. point on my first.
That said, I hastily filled out my apps this year, and that night while in bed, I awoke wondering if I had forgot to enter the pref. point code for my first choice. I got online and my fear was confirmed- I forgot the pref. point code and had put my 7 points on the line to drawn a tag that normally can be had as a leftover!
The next day I researched what could be done and ended up filling out a correction form to rectify my mistake. I checked with a nearby DOW office and they confirmed I had done what needed to be done. They also assured me that simple corrections like mine, while cannot be guaranteed, are processed successfully at a near 100% rate.
Now, fast forward to the week of the elk draw. I got a call from the Colorado DOW and the rep stated she was looking at my app and said I had put in for a tag that normally has leftover tags with my 7 pref. points. She was calling to confirm that was my desire. I stated that it was not, and that I filled out a correction form. She said they were still processing corrections but she would correct mine right then, which she did. 2 weeks later I checked on line and I am now the proud owner of 8 pref. points as well as a elk tag for my stomping grounds!
Now I am not really sure what happened and I wish not to speculate. I prefer to take this all at face value, which is, the Colorado DOW went above and beyond in the name of customer service. While the correction process can be debated and also the why they didn't correct my form as submitted, ultimately my application falls squarely on me. While the DOW has a correction process in place, what I draw, and the number of points used/not used falls fully on the applicant.
I was absolutely shocked to receive the call that I did. With customer service lacking in many industries across this country, and with the stereotype of government employees just going through the motions, it was both shocking and refreshing to receive a call from the DOW to check and verify with me on this issue. I was both shocked and impressed. Nice job Colorado DOW!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us about dow. Glad to see some one post when the cdow does something right. In stead of just complaints.

Very good-I'm sure glad this post ended on a positive note. When I've called the DOW over questions they've always done a great job. I too will be utilizing my second choice as well.

I received a call a few days before the Antelope draw as well. They flagged a mistake on my buddy's attached application: our 3rd choices did not match. Fixed it on the spot. One could argue that the software should not have allowed it. She was very pleasant and we checked a couple other apps for accuracy as well.

All my interactions CO DOW have been positive. I have applied and hunted there the last four years.

I too find the CO DOW very helpful, informative and just good with customer service. The worst I have dealt with is New Mexico. I swear no one there knows what is going on - at least regarding the questions I had.

GLad to hear that! I have a great history of dealing with CO DOW too. Not the level of issue that you had but still great customer service.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON May-28-13 AT 09:53AM (MST)[p]I often hear about the DOW and the issues that they have, but really I have always found them fair and helpful. For example:

A few years back I was hunting north of Craig. Long story short I hunted hard and took a decent 4x4 buck on the 2nd to last day of the hunt. When I got to the buck it was obvious that something was not right. He was skinny, and despite a heart shot there was no blood in his chest, no clots etc. After gutting him, I drug him easily to the truck and he was light enough (skinny enough to be lift in without any help). Needless to say he was not healthy. To be legal I tagged him and headed for the DOW office. Once I got there I explained to the officer that I would not be feeding the sick animal to my family. He asked if I wanted another tag, I replied I already killed my buck this year, but just do not want to use the meat. Basically telling him that the meat was more important than anything for my family. He then made an offer I could not refuse. That morning he watched a guy shoot a cow in the neck, the guy was legal to do so, but the bullet deflected and hit a spike bull in the head some 30 yards away. The hunter was allowed to keep his legally killed cow, but since the spike bull was not a legal animal the DOW office took the bull. By the time we got there the bull have been hung, skinned and 1/4ered. They basically traded me a sick mule deer buck for a cleaned, skinned and 1/4ered spike bull...

Good trade for me and glad that the elk did not go to waste.

elks96

Good story and a great example of a state employee making everyone happy by using some common sense in a unique situation.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-13 AT 03:15PM (MST)[p]Last year after the application deadline I received news that I would not be able to have the time off during the hunt I knew I would draw. Contacted CDOW and completed the change form with the same qualaification that they would do everything they could to make the change, but there were no guarantees and no way to verify before the draw. Sure enough, the change was not made and I drew the tag I originally appied for then had to return it for a refund. No points were involved except the one I lost because my application was not changed. Received my refund and bought a leftover tag for another season. Only negative experience I have had with the DOW and could not fault them since the issue was mine not theirs.

On the brighter side, I have contacted the DOW by phone on a few other occasions and they have always been very helpful and concerned with my issues. The first year I hunted in CO (I'm a non-Res) I contacted the GMU field officer regarding camping locations and other area questions. Had to leave a voice message and to my surprise, he called me back the next day and aswered all my questions. Been check once in camp and once in the field by an officer and they were both polite and once the busness end was taken care of they provided us with good information about the area. Can't knock that.

Dispite the application issue, I have nothing but good things to say about the CDOW. Like everything else, I am sure there are some bad stories about over zelous officers, but for the most part I think the CDOW works well with the public.

Great story by elks96 as well. Wish all F&G departments would take a lesson from stories like that.

Man, that's great to hear. I too am a non-res and have found the folks to be very helpful, including officers during my contacts

Please be sure to let someone at CDOW how good your service was. I'm sure they'll appreciate the hell out of it.

It's good to hear it turned out well for you! Colorado DOW recently helped me out as well, with multiple CID numbers being issued to one applicant. They searched though the system and were able to combine the two seperate CID numbers and get the points back. Great customer service, and they fixed the issue with the CID numbers.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom