Colorado Hunting opportunities

It is for sure. Then add this sweet article talking about how Coloratreats residents. The 2 go together.

It is for sure. Then add this sweet article talking about how Coloratreats residents. The 2 go together.

Yikes….that’s powerbait there.(y)

I could get on board with this xenophobia :devilish:

Colorado for sure caters to the non resident compared to any other western state. All about the $$$ for CPW no question about that. I think there should be more of a benefit for Colorado residents as far as the tag splits go. Tag allocations like New Mexico would be my preference. IMO has to be some kind of fringe benefit being a resident. I apply in multiple states too but just think Colorado residency doesn’t mean as much in the draws compared to other states.

I don't want to take from coloradoamans post just add cause and affect to resident point creep. Not a cure to creep but it'd sure help some.

How many hundreds of tags get turned back in and put on the reissue list each year? How many of those hunters that turned their tags in decide to get their points back and forfeit their tag cost? I’m guessing most of them!

Then they get put on the list and picked back up by another hunter that doesn’t have to use their points to hunt that year. I’ve hunted the last 6 years on reissue tags and keep accumulating points.

Maybe they should change their rules with the reissue. Maybe it should cost hunters their points when picking up a reissue! Maybe not let everyone just turn in a tag because they didn’t feel it was a trophy year. Maybe do like Wyoming and you pretty much can’t turn a tag back in. Hundreds of hunters each year that should be at zero points because they hunted or drew tag in are not. They ALL still have their points including myself.

How many hundreds of tags get turned back in and put on the reissue list each year? How many of those hunters that turned their tags in decide to get their points back and forfeit their tag cost? I’m guessing most of them!

Then they get put on the list and picked back up by another hunter that doesn’t have to use their points to hunt that year. I’ve hunted the last 6 years on reissue tags and keep accumulating points.

Maybe they should change their rules with the reissue. Maybe it should cost hunters their points when picking up a reissue! Maybe not let everyone just turn in a tag because they didn’t feel it was a trophy year. Maybe do like Wyoming and you pretty much can’t turn a tag back in. Hundreds of hunters each year that should be at zero points because they hunted or drew tag in are not. They ALL still have their points including myself.
Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good gig going on, not sure why you would want to change it.

Yep me too!
It’s broken for sure!
When I draw my backyard buck tag hopefully in the next couple years I am out of the point game!
Hell we saw multiple bucks second season this year within an hour drive from home that were over 170” and we can draw it every year so why play the game anymore?

Last edited:

Hey Ridn9high-in Colorado, you don't have to give up any points accumulated if you pick up a re-issued tag?? Here in Nevada we have 2! If that's the case then I agree with you 100%. I took a returned tag here in Nevada last year and gave up all of my points. I was not successful on my hunt, but had a blast, and I was aware I would have to give up my points.

Hey Ridn9high-in Colorado, you don't have to give up any points accumulated if you pick up a re-issued tag?? Here in Nevada we have 2! If that's the case then I agree with you 100%. I took a returned tag here in Nevada last year and gave up all of my points. I was not successful on my hunt, but had a blast, and I was aware I would have to give up my points.
That is the way it should be in Colorado but CPW is a money grabbing whore!

Hey, completely off topic, but I see the unit I live in has 3 new! (the way CPW describes them) doe hunts!

Woo hoo! Let’s kill everything!

:mad:

I think CWD has a lot to do with the doe hunts.

I also feel that Colorado should follow NM and now WY in NR allocations of hunts. We pay the taxes, put up with the fires, and I can't seem to draw a tag where I have property in either county. A resident should never have to go OTC, unless of course his work schedule requires it. Leftover tags should come back, and for the first 48 hours be for residents only. But CPW wouldn't make any money that way.

I also feel that Colorado should follow NM and now WY in NR allocations of hunts. We pay the taxes, put up with the fires, and I can't seem to draw a tag where I have property in either county. A resident should never have to go OTC, unless of course his work schedule requires it. Leftover tags should come back, and for the first 48 hours be for residents only. But CPW wouldn't make any money that way.
I agree, It would be nice if it was a 84 Res / 16 Non Res split on Colorado deer/elk/antelope draw tag allocations. For all units state wide……..

Last edited:

100% agree that leftovers & turn ins should be reserved for residents only

The doe hunts have nothing to do with CWD. Sorry but the COw has done a major s
Disservice to deer hunters and the deer. They have redivided the population goals for deer and as a result they now claim the herds are over objective and they need to cull the deer to bring the numbers down to the new magical numbers.

100% agree that leftovers & turn ins should be reserved for residents only
Most Nevadan's feel the same way about our returned or left over tags. Our main draw has a 10% cap on non-res and then it's fair game with the 2nd big game draw and FCFS. FCFS is a new system to all of us here in Nevada and has stirred up a lot of controversy. I am not quite sure just yet how I really feel about it though. If all of us Nevadans's put in for the main draw-needless to say some will win and some will lose. I seem to lose more than I win and so have our 3 girls. So, maybe the 2nd draw is still only available for Nevada residents and then FCFS is open to all? Not sure, as interstate hunting brings in a lot of money and money (at least in my home state of Nevada) always has and always will win.

Joevegas, that is how Co is. Money over everything. Heck the “second draw” gives 100% preference to youth hunters… but the state will still take everyone else’s money even though many times you don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell at getting a tag.

In Colorado If a high point tag makes it all the way to the reissue list , you can grab it and not use your points. BUT... high point tags get offered to the next 5 highest point holders in line first before hitting the reissue list. If you accept the tag, you lose your points. If none of those 5 want the tag then it gets reissued.
The problem is CPW waits until a week or so before the hunt (sometimes less) to contact the next 5 in line and most people like myself will not give up their points to hunt a unit they didn't have time to scout and plan for.. Thus those tags hit the reissue list.

In Colorado If a high point tag makes it all the way to the reissue list , you can grab it and not use your points. BUT... high point tags get offered to the next 5 highest point holders in line first before hitting the reissue list. If you accept the tag, you lose your points. If none of those 5 want the tag then it gets reissued.
The problem is CPW waits until a week or so before the hunt (sometimes less) to contact the next 5 in line and most people like myself will not give up their points to hunt a unit they didn't have time to scout and plan for.. Thus those tags hit the reissue list.
OMB, don’t get me started on the reissue process that is a whole other can of worms. With the new way. If someone turns in a tag on a Thursday before opening day… that tag doesn’t get reissued until the next Wednesday, in some season the hunt is almost over at that point.

CPW is holding stake holder imput meetings for "allocation" and " "preference points" I got picked for the points meeting...was hoping for allocation...any way my input will be...any Class A / list A tag uses your points! Reissue AND the welfare BS land owner vouchers you use your preference points..

CPW is holding stake holder imput meetings for "allocation" and " "preference points" I got picked for the points meeting...was hoping for allocation...any way my input will be...any Class A / list A tag uses your points! Reissue AND the welfare BS land owner vouchers you use your preference points..
Leftover list tags should require using points IMO.

I'm a non resident so my opinion in your state carries little weight but I agree any tag should use your points accept maybe second choice

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom