Colorado Unit 21 Second Season

Cantwait

Hello All,

Just drew a Colorado unit 21 deer tag for second season. We now have 3 tags for that unit. My uncle is in his 70s and would love to see him take a nice 4 pointer. We got all the tags Off the Left Over Tag List!!!! We usually hunt Unit 22 but was not able to get a tag there. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for a possible camping spot as well. We thought of camping around the Clyde Dillion memorial area, only cause we know that area. Is that too far from Unit 21? Just doing a little research on these forums and talked to a couple local guides and they pointed out a few areas (Texas Mountain, Brushy Point, Tommy Draw). Gonna call local biologist and warden this week. IF anybody has any information or pointers that would be great. I heard there is alot of roads and alot of glassing to do....Also were or which map is the best one to buy for that area?

Thank you!!

It can be a tough hunt 2nd rifle. I had the tag way back in 2009 and had to hunt my butt off and finally killed a solid buck on day 8. You will see plenty of 22 to 24in 140-150ish bucks but the mature deer numbers really seem to be lacking the past 10 years or more. It will take some serious digging to turn something up in the 170 plus inch class. The information you will receive from the biologist is typically broken record type info that was relayed to the 10 guys that called before you. Best thing you can do is think outside of the box and hit the stuff that not every one can Glass from the road.

Coloradoboy

Thank you for responding!! any help is great. Yes I will be giving a call to biologist and wardens. The areas I mentioned in original post ( Texas Mountain, Brushy Point, etc..) will be areas we will look into. We usually hunt area 22 and know that area pretty well, we usually do alot of walking/hiking several ridges and draws. I was hoping to some areas to hike and glass from. I heard there is a lot of roads and I definetly dont want to just drive the roads but would like to walk in and glass and then go from there. Any areas or would be helpful...where did you camp at while you hunt there?...also are you familiar with the Clyde Dillon memorial? We were thinking of camping in that area because another family friend is camping there while they hunt 22. Is this to far from good hunting areas in 21?

Again thank you for your help!!!

>It can be a tough hunt
>2nd rifle. I had the
>tag way back in 2009
>and had to hunt my
>butt off and finally killed
>a solid buck on day
>8. You will see plenty
>of 22 to 24in 140-150ish
>bucks but the mature deer
>numbers really seem to be
>lacking the past 10 years
>or more. It will take
>some serious digging to turn
>something up in the 170
>plus inch class. The information
>you will receive from the
>biologist is typically broken record
>type info that was relayed
>to the 10 guys that
>called before you. Best thing
>you can do is think
>outside of the box and
>hit the stuff that not
>every one can Glass from
>the road.
>
>Coloradoboy

^^ My experience almost exactly. I had the tag a couple years ago. PM me and I can share a little bit more detail. I hunted fairly close to unit 22, though I am not sure how close to where you are referring to.

Trevor

Cathedral bluffs, some big country bordering 22, especially if you know 22.
Rangely and Douglas pass maps will cover most of it
Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom