Colorado unit 30 deer

I had the 3 rd. season deer hunt last year in unit 30 . I wasn't impressed with the hunt . There was a lot of private land , lots of pressure from elk hunters , and way too many roads from all the oil rigs .
Lack of weather resulted in me only seeing about 14 bucks the whole season , and I never saw one that I wanted to hang a tag on .

Foundation
Are you sure your not taking about 31? There is not that much O&G activity in 30. No new roads have been cut in the area. Probably a lot of elk pressure but that is common for all area open to OTC elk hunters.

I would think adjoining 29, one of the best units, it'd be pretty good. I hear Garfield County produces some real nice deer. But that's why I'm asking.....Thanks guys.

I hunted in the Baxter pass and Prairer ( spell check ) canyon the whole time . I was in unit 30 for sure , I talked with the Fish and Game Officer a couple of times in the field , and he made it a point to go over my maps with me . It was actually good that he went over my maps due to the fact I had some people tell me about spots to watch that where actually in unit 21 . I also thought according to the unit description I was able to hunt North of the Baxter Pass ridge .
All the locals that where elk huntin said it was a off year , and the deer just were not there .

Last year was a bad year. If it's not too warm, you should have a good hunt. I have been saving my points to hunt here. I just wish this unit would fall off of the radar of a few magazines.

Foundation,

I think the kill rate was around 80% in 2008. If that was an off year they must have been killing young bucks or the survey was not accurate? Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that the kill rates were in the 90%+ range for the last 3 years. That's pretty darned high for anywhere. Still hopeful. I'll hunt hard and away from roads if I need to. Also will take the whole time if needed.

I think there has been a 90% success rate for several years. No doubt you can kill "a" buck in 30 pretty easy even on a warm weather year if you just want any buck. The warm weather is what made it a bad year. The weather makes the difference in the quantity and quality of deer that you will see. It is steeper and thicker than unit 21 to the north.

I kinda figured that. I hunted unit 75/751 for the last 3 years and held out. Same problem...warm weather. I wasn't disappointed though. Saw lots of game and had a blast. I'll work for them and see what happens.

Any good ideas on where to start?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom