Colorado Wolves

I am no expert on wolves, I think native wildlife belongs. I was told that in Montana the wolves needed deep snow to be more successful at catching game, If so warming trends wont help wolves on big game. I watched a Wolfe just before thanks giving with no snow in Montana catching mice. I talked with a local that hunted early season elk in so. west Montana and said he had seen more elk than he had ever seen and the hunting pressure pushed them back to Idaho as the snow melted. I have also been hunting places in Montana were there is not wolves and the game is differently missing and I think with several years of drought and over hunting added, that is the result, I have witnessed the same thing in California without wolves. I was also aware that wolves go after coyote , so however many they kill you would need to subtract the depredation that the coyote would take, cars are going to run them over , poaching, mistaken identity, I think wolves are going to have a rough time in this era , time will tell. When the game is gone it will not be because of a Wolfe, when humans get a wake up call we don't wake up.

Heard the same regarding the reintroduction in WY MT and ID. And look at it now, management and hunting seasons!

Hunters shouldn’t have sole rights to what roams the public lands. And there was plenty of time where hunting based organizations not only in CO but other states could have dumped money in to fight it. But they didn’t.

$FW could have likely put enough out there to sway it the other way. But what better way to get new membership once that first wolf crosses into Utah. See conspiracy theories work both ways 😂

If you don't understand the difference in Id sand Montana, I can't help.

$fw doesn't have money. It begs for money

low deer and elk population will naturally manage the wolves numbers.
And predator numbers will naturally manage the big game numbers. No need for Big Game hunting. This is the direction some states would like to go. Been a major topic at the Washington State Game Commission the last several months.

And predator numbers will naturally manage the big game numbers. No need for Big Game hunting. This is the direction some states would like to go. Been a major topic at the Washington State Game Commission the last several months.
Peaks and valleys from now on....

Sure but if you’re not going to have wolf hunting then the only way to manage the population is by shooting their food and keep those numbers in check. But that’s if they even want to manage the population of wolves.

I’m happy to live in a state that protected its citizens ability to hunt big game.

Sure but if you’re not going to have wolf hunting then the only way to manage the population is by shooting their food and keep those numbers in check. But that’s if they even want to manage the population of wolves.

I’m happy to live in a state that protected its citizens ability to hunt big game.
I too am happy to live where I do. But you know enough to know there are those out there who are dead set to change things.

I believe Wolf trapping season is still closed here because one judge it down. It would of opened nearly a month ago and conditions were condusive to catch a few wolves. Unlike the last 2 years of snow, and icy conditions where very few wolves were caught in my area. This same judge tried to unsuccessfully close it last year and I'm sure if he could do it it would never be open.

I'd be willing to bet their will be a big push to outlaw trapping here again. They outlawed it in Washington State I believe in 1996. Montana is not excempt from that in the next few years.
Anti's are very good at playing on peoples emotions and trapping can be made an easy target.

I've talked with a few very successful wolf trappers but people who have actually just tried to hunt them, not so much.
A few are taken during elk and deer season but those opportunities don't happen often here.

Take trapping and snaring out of the equation and Homers comment about Peaks and Valleys becomes realty. Add an occasional hard winter or two and it could lean a little more towards valleys.

You listed 3 states where wolves can be hunted and one where they can’t, pretty sure Oregon is having issues with their wolves.
Oregon? You mean the state that had ~120k elk before wolves were reestablished but has ~130k elk today?
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/management_plans/docs/ElkPlanfinal.pdf

Oregon? You mean the state that had ~120k elk before wolves were reestablished but has ~130k elk today?
Dang Johnny you went deep in this thread to dig this up. I thought you had already convinced that the woofs were alright… just remember I have no problem with them

Dang Johnny you went deep in this thread to dig this up. I thought you had already convinced that the woofs were alright… just remember I have no problem with them
Yeah I somehow got on the first page again, saw that, and got curious. Pretty funny how the state that has zero wolf hunting has grown both elk and wolves over the past 20 years

It's not worth fighting over at this point since we're all friends who share a common love, the great outdoors.

As a public service I submit this video in hope that it will save a life. Be safe out there. :) A 5 minute video and well worth it.

Must read for how the wolf release was handled and the overall lack of transparency by our governor and his spouse.

Can't wait for the upcoming Fence Post Article!!!

Must read for how the wolf release was handled and the overall lack of transparency by our governor and his spouse.

Can't wait for the upcoming Fence Post Article!!!
It sounds like they may not eat so many deer and elk after all. I’m a bottle half full kinda guy :)

Last edited:
I would not want to be a CPW employee right now. Can you imagine having to deal with a very irate rancher after wolves have killed $30,000 or more of his livestock overnight. These employees are gonna have some azz chewings coming .

Last edited:
I would not want to be a CPW employee right now. Can you imagine having to deal with a very irate rancher after wolves have killed $30,000 or more of his livestock overnight. These employees are gonna have some azz chewings coming .
lmmfao.......you really think there are still government employees that give a **** about what the people" think??....lol

"We're sorry Mr. Rancher. I feel bad for you. If you can prove it was wolves you can apply for compensation. I have to go investigate a wolf poaching now. Good luck."

lmmfao.......you really think there are still government employees that give a **** about what the people" think??....lol
Yeah **** yeah i think that. A real good friend of mine works the front desk at the gunnison office and deals with all sorts of jerks year round. She didnt vote for wolves, she just needs a decent job.

Not everybody inherits daddys farm

Those with Facebook ought to check out Colorado’s First Man‘s (gag) page and see the crap about wolves. Bunch of ### vegans who are clueless. Marlon Reis

You Guys Miss This:

Colorado Public Radio reported that the first of the wolf releases was kept secret from all but about 45 invited guests including Governor Polis, his husband, and top wolf advocates from around Colorado, as well as a few representatives of the media.

His Husband!

GEEZUS!

You Guys Miss This:

Colorado Public Radio reported that the first of the wolf releases was kept secret from all but about 45 invited guests including Governor Polis, his husband, and top wolf advocates from around Colorado, as well as a few representatives of the media.

His Husband!

GEEZUS!
This alone says everything a person needs to know. They don't want to hear what people really think about this whole fiasco, so they hide it.

A small silver lining for the Colorado ranchers- You guys need to do some research on 10j and what that experimental designation allows you to now do in the entire state. As of December 8th, ranchers are now allowed to use lethal take to protect people or livestock. The 10J designation essentially removes the protection on the Walden pack, or wolves anywhere else in the state, according to the verbiage used by USF&W.

A small silver lining for the Colorado ranchers- You guys need to do some research on 10j and what that experimental designation allows you to now do in the entire state. As of December 8th, ranchers are now allowed to use lethal take to protect people or livestock. The 10J designation essentially removes the protection on the Walden pack, or wolves anywhere else in the state, according to the verbiage used by USF&W.
As I understand it the only killing allowed under 10j is to be done by USFWS

Looks like I'll be able to see first hand on what the actual impact will be now that we have wolves. I saw a second one in my area two days ago. Every bit as big as my 100 pound shepherd. No doubt they are beautiful animals. I guess that would be why all of the clueless front rangers want them here so bad. Both deer and elk numbers have been struggling for the past several years in this area and the predators have been thriving. I'm betting that this is not going to play out well for the ungulates.

You Guys Miss This:

His Husband!

GEEZUS!
Oh no! They elected a person who loves another person despite these two people having the same genitalia! What horror!

Good grief, the rampant homophobia expressed in this particular corner of the Internet gets old. Then again, studies do have some curious insights into homophobes

Oh no! They elected a person who loves another person despite these two people having the same genitalia! What horror!

Good grief, the rampant homophobia expressed in this particular corner of the Internet gets old. Then again, studies do have some curious insights into homophobes
I don't care what people do behind closed doors but I do care about their actions in public. This guy offers plenty of reasons to not like him, sexual preferences aside.

Quite obvious reading many of these post very few of you live and understand the true political nature of Colorado and the Governor. Please by all means keep spewing your nonresident ignorance.
I was born in CO. I can't stand what CO has become; all to (seemingly) appease the 'ooooh, we elected a gay governor, so we must be cool' crowd. Governing folks should never be a social experiment.

100%

Looks like I'll be able to see first hand on what the actual impact will be now that we have wolves. I saw a second one in my area two days ago. Every bit as big as my 100 pound shepherd. No doubt they are beautiful animals. I guess that would be why all of the clueless front rangers want them here so bad. Both deer and elk numbers have been struggling for the past several years in this area and the predators have been thriving. I'm betting that this is not going to play out well for the ungulates.
Look at all the states the wolves have wiped out the elk and deer. I've made a list. Here they are:

Everyone knows Colorado is like the girl you don’t really wana go on a date with but you do anyway because you might get lucky. At least there is rec-weed to bring patients when dealing with the crowds

You Guys Miss This:

His Husband!

GEEZUS!

Is this his husband. 😂😂

IMG_2668.jpeg

Being afraid to make fun of fags is the real homophobia......

Did You Get Both Of Them Gadjet?

More Wolves = Fewer Elk = Yellowstone Aspen Comeback​

I found out something I never knew about and it's a plus to having fewer elk on the the landscape. It's also something we should all be able to agree on.

It sounds like a huge reduction in elk numbers at first but should/could be a huge plus for Colorado if it's true as many of their mountains are filled with Aspens. Although it's a five year old article I'd assume it would still apply in today's landscape.

Aspen trees are beautiful in the Fall. I wish we had more of them here in Western Montana as they too should be excelling.

Kevin Reichard September 4, 2018 Issues, News, Wolves

It’s being hailed as a success in restoring balance to the area: the reintroduction of wolves has lessened the elk population — which in turn is fueling a Yellowstone aspen comeback.
Now, when it comes to the sexy and notable in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, aspen never makes the list of attractions cited by tourists as they plan their annual trips. But on the scientific front, a Yellowstone aspen comeback has been on the wish list for many close observers. Elk, in particular, are hard on aspen, and when there’s an overpopulation of elk, there’s also stress on the aspen numbers. Aspen stands are part of the diversity of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, acting as a contrast to conifer forests. But with the perceived overpopulation of elk after wolves were eliminated from the region, aspen stands became less prevalent after serving as elk food. Aspen is the dominant leafy tree at higher altitudes of the Rocky Mountain West, but in Yellowstone the aspen population declined for decades from 4-6 percent of coverage in its natural area (the north range) during the 1940s and down to less than 1 percent in 2010.

But with the reintroduction of wolves, the elk population has gone down significantly — from almost 20,000 in 1995 to around 7,500 in the latest estimates — and during that time scientists have documented a Yellowstone aspen comeback. That’s part of a larger picture of restoring balance to the ecosystem.

Hey MMers, what length chainsaw bar for Yellow Aspen? I always dreamed of harvesting a mature giant. Is my ol trusty Stihl Farm Boss gonna be ok for this hunt or do I need an upgrade ?

They took the elk numbers from 20k plus to 7500. Of course there’s gonna be more Aspen.

I hate wolves and I hate grizzlies. Not so much for what they are but for how they’re treated once established populations exist. Let them be managed.

I learned all I needed to learn once the leftists put a stop to the grizzly hunt. I don’t care they’re allowed to exist, I do care that they are allowed to go unchecked.

This is coming from a guy that lives in IN but travels out West a few times every fall to do some hunting. I am far from any type of expert and I’ve never seen a wolf in the wild. The only grizzly I’ve ever seen was in Yellowstone.

When researching outfitters I have seen many starting to market themselves as “no wolves or grizzlies here.” Not sure this is even relevant to bring up but it popped into my mind.

@Homer,

Homerphobia:

A dislike of slippery slopes, camels noses, pop culture, and elementary skool level spelling and grammar.

You ain’t the only one with it.

I hate wolves and I hate grizzlies. Not so much for what they are but for how they’re treated once established populations exist. Let them be managed.

I learned all I needed to learn once the leftists put a stop to the grizzly hunt. I don’t care they’re allowed to exist, I do care that they are allowed to go unchecked.

This is coming from a guy that lives in IN but travels out West a few times every fall to do some hunting. I am far from any type of expert and I’ve never seen a wolf in the wild. The only grizzly I’ve ever seen was in Yellowstone.

When researching outfitters I have seen many starting to market themselves as “no wolves or grizzlies here.” Not sure this is even relevant to bring up but it popped into my mind.
Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing!

At this point it’s arguing with ghosts. We have them, we have had them for quite awhile it seems. Our only hope is we can eventually be able to hunt them. I don’t Iike that we have them but here we are. Rather than arguing about the legitimacy maybe we should do more to preserve what we still have.

I have lived, ranched and hunted in eastern Oregon my whole life and I can assure you OR has less elk that it did in 2012, ODFW is full of chit like always. and they're cutting tags as well because success is dropping. figures don't lie but liars can figure.

At this point the wolves are only taking a toll in certain areas in the NE part of the state that's easy to see. but the Birkenstock butt buds are hoping to get them everywhere except their back yard.

Here is part of an article I read today. Don't know the true impact on game herds but this is some major BS for the ranchers:

"As first reported by The Fence Post, a nationwide agricultural newspaper, all five wolves in the initial release are from packs in Oregon that were deemed responsible for killing or injuring livestock in 2022 and 2023.

“Once a pack starts to depredate on livestock, they tend to include livestock in their diet in the future,” John Williams, co-chair of the Oregon Cattlemen’s Association Wolf Committee, told The Fence Post. “It does not say they always eat livestock but it’s more like they acquire a taste for it, they like it, and they stay on it...."

More from the Denver7 news article: I had not heard of this allowance for killing one

"The plan allows for ranchers to use lethal methods against a wolf that is seen actively wounding, killing or chasing livestock, but stressed that nonlethal tools should be used first. During the initial phases of the reintroduction, a permit is required for private landowners to provide this kind of lethal control, per Colorado Revised Statutes 33-2-106.4. A person who kills a wolf in this scenario must report it to CPW within 24 hours when practical, but no later than 72 hours afterward. It is illegal to address the potential of future depredations at a regional or statewide scale by lethally removing wolves."

It's been proven once they kill livestock they come back for more. this is especially true for singles and pairs, it's a lot easier to catch a calf than elk.

We have 4 kills here lately but as soon as they cross the hiway F&W has a shoot to kill order on them. they're dead wolves walking. you'll be doing the same .

Adapt or die. Get rid of those non native moose and mt goats anyhow. Good riddance!
So, non-native like this variety of Wolf they are reintroducing? Also, the wolf didn't adapt and it did die...so both your points pretty much suck.

I will bet anybody $10,000 that despite wolves being reintroduced in CO, CO will still have huntable populations of all the same big game species in 2033 as it did in 2023.
Define "huntable"? To keep with the Colorado theme...that is like saying that the Broncos will still be playing football after the 2015 superbowl and Peyton's retirement. Yes, they still technically play some form of football, but it isn't like 2015. Having a "huntable" population shouldn't be the goal; having a thriving population is the goal. Wolves will certainly have a negative impact where they spread. I would take the over on a 15% reduction of ungulates in areas with a steady wolf pack.

Wolves will certainly have a negative impact where they spread. I would take the over on a 15% reduction of ungulates in areas with a steady wolf pack.
Seeing as states without wolves have seen greater than 15% reductions in deer/pronghorn/elk due to weather/drought conditions, before I'd entertain that idea you are gonna have to show data that proves wolves are directly the cause of a 15% or greater reduction in ungulates. Which given the number of variables in the regression analysis, good friggin luck finding that proof.

Seeing as states without wolves have seen greater than 15% reductions in deer/pronghorn/elk due to weather/drought conditions, before I'd entertain that idea you are gonna have to show data that proves wolves are directly the cause of a 15% or greater reduction in ungulates. Which given the number of variables in the regression analysis, good friggin luck finding that proof.
Wolves are an additive solution to climate change. Less ungulates and more beaver just to start. Just like the yellow stone cutthroat. True success stories with sound proof. WAFJ....

Can any of you wolf lovers explain to us simple folk just how wolves killing even one game animal is good for the game herds or hunters?

Your argument is that the wolves won't kill them all. and that's true , the only true thing you've said. but it's also the stupidest justification for reintroduction anyone could possibly make.

Since this is a hunting forum the next question is are you stupid enough to believe wolves will have no adverse effects on hunters? or do you just think we're that stupid?

You can like hunting wolves and think it is worth having them around.
That is your right to a opinion
But to say the wolves are not going to do significant damage to a already hurting resource (deer) and to think they will not do significant damage to elk population is not common sense.
Wolves need to eat and they prefer big game over small game. A rabbit will not even feed one wolf why would they waste energy on a morsal of food when they can have a smorgasbord of food
It is like what Bigwiffy days why eat at McDonald's when you can go to Chuck A Rama all you can eat for close to the same $$
Man has became the APEX predator if you bring in another APEX predator one will have to have less, and in a state like what Colorado is turning into man is going to be shorted for wolves.

You can like hunting wolves and think it is worth having them around.
That is your right to a opinion
But to say the wolves are not going to do significant damage to a already hurting resource (deer) and to think they will not do significant damage to elk population is not common sense.
Wolves need to eat and they prefer big game over small game. A rabbit will not even feed one wolf why would they waste energy on a morsal of food when they can have a smorgasbord of food
It is like what Bigwiffy days why eat at McDonald's when you can go to Chuck A Rama all you can eat for close to the same $$
Man has became the APEX predator if you bring in another APEX predator one will have to have less, and in a state like what Colorado is turning into man is going to be shorted for wolves.
ba9c319ff540624a5f9190310bfcd8b6.jpg

Ya!

Well!

We Gotta A Line Kinda Like That As Well!

It's been proven once they kill livestock they come back for more. this is especially true for singles and pairs, it's a lot easier to catch a calf than elk.

We have 4 kills here lately but as soon as they cross the hiway F&W has a shoot to kill order on them. they're dead wolves walking. you'll be doing the same .

Sadly, you are wrong about that. It’s what people don’t seem to understand.

All I can say is aim for the ones without collars, by the time the whiskey jacks and ravens lead the wolf fags to them it doesn't matter.

I don’t understand releasing wolves in Summit County, although Summit County voted in favor of wolves. The county is highly populated with little open space for the predator. Seems like inevitable conflicts with livestock.

I can’t tell which Radium in Colorado they released them at but regardless, I’m with which ever one of you said, I hope they all move into Utah, asap. In fact as Tog suggested keep hauling them over from Oregon so they can make a bee line from Colorado to Altamont, Utah.

It’s been said, by wiser than I……. coyotes, cougars, and wolves come to die in Utah.

So, in actuality it’s a win, win, for both Oregon and Colorado if they come back west.

Make sense? Besides, there’s very little harm they can do to Utah wildlife anyway……….. if you get my drift.

Last edited:
Again, I find myself agreeing with Tog………. He said something like he didn’t want them eating his cattle. I totally agree with that logic.

I have a parallel reason. Sportsmen, of which I’m one, have invested time, money (millions if not billions) social collateral, political collateral, blood, sweat and tears, to replenish nearly lost species of big game animals, specifically deer both WT and Mule, elk, moose, sheep and goats. These investments are just as valuable to sportsmen as live stock investments are to ranches and farmers and now corporate agriculture businessmen. Clearly some of us are more hard nosed about protecting there investmentthan others. That’s a fact for both agri and sport hunters, as can be witnesses in this post.

Bottomline, for me and guys like me and for Tog and guys like him from the agri side, loosing one of the animals that we have fought for, for the last 125 years is not acceptable, be it to Bovine virus diarrhea or blue tongue or a predator. I’m not willing to give a predator a single big game animal if there is any possible way I can prevent it. Period, nada……… not one.

All mammals are beautiful animals, and a blessing in our world. I have no problem with wolves in unpopulated lands, where there is enough space that the animal kingdom predator/prey populations can edd and flow and find equilibrium in numbers and interaction………. however, like it or not, that is no longer in the 49 States, unfortunately. It is what it is and it can not work in the lower 49 States without negatively impacting the 125 year investment that has been made in our ungulate species.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I completely agree, cattlemen and hunters are both getting hosed on this.

Everything we've worked to protect or produce for will be converted into dog crap at no expense to those who contributed nothing to the resource. and they have the nerve to flip us off and laugh is what makes it even more infuriating.

I don’t understand releasing wolves in Summit County, although Summit County voted in favor of wolves. The county is highly populated with little open space for the predator. Seems like inevitable conflicts with livestock.
Conflicts for sure and I hope they get shot by the ranchers. If the habitat isn’t suitable they will move on. Maybe they like cocaine and will migrate to aspen

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom