Colordao Point Help

Wyo

Hello, I am wanting to apply for deer in Colorado this year for the first time. If I have read correctly I cannot draw a tag for an area that requires 1 or more points, right? I would like to put in for a better unit, but that means I have to be in the top point pool for that unit to draw? Sounds like there is no random draw at all unless you have five or more points and have been applying for a premium unit. I have read the info on there website and read in huntin fool but it is still kind of confusing. It just sucks that I may have no chance of drawing what so ever unless I have a bunch of points. I want to hunt a good unit someday and am not looking for just a run of the mill deer hunt as I already do that in wyoming. Just trying to decide if its even worth putting in for CO deer being this far behind in the points. Thanks in advance for the help.

In Colo. you have pay to play,that is if you want to kill something big you have to build your pts,if it was easy their wound not be any prem hunts.I know it sucks but i will have 10 pt's this year(Mule Deer)and plan to kill something realy big,(i hope)If it were any other way it would be just like Woym.so-so Bucks

remember its Colorado and there is potiential for a B&C buck in about every unit. Lots of great units that only require 2-3 points. Some can even be drawn as second choice.

Here's my opinion on this. Colorado is known for big bucks. In many of the units that require 0 or maybe one point there are still better hunts and bigger bucks than most of Wyoming's TOP units.

My best friends daughter is 15 years old, she has hunted now for 3 years and has shot 3 bucks. These bucks score 184", 178", and 168". All three bucks were taken in the same unit and not once has she ever had a point. In this same unit my friend, her dad, has taken 2 bucks over 170" and I have killed one buck (only hunted it one year) that scored 165". This is all in a 3 years time period and not a single point has been used, in fact my friend drew it last year as a 2nd choice.

Find a unit, scout it out well and you will find big bucks.

Thanks for the very useful help all. Am I correct that there is no "random" draw and that you must have a certain amount of points to draw? ie. colorado is pure preference? I'm not really sure I would want to draw this year but thought I would put in for an area that would be harder to draw but wort it if I luckily drew it. I would like the chance to hunt for a 180 buck even if it means 5-10 years of applying. Also areas closer to WY would be a bonus if they are any good.

Colorado has always been a "true preference point" state until this year and now we have a "hybrid draw" which doesnt mean much of anything really unless you have 5 points, even then the odds are so terrible it still doesnt mean much. Basically we're still a true preference point state. That being said, the high profile units like say 21 late season or 142 late season will take a pile of points. Does that mean your behind and cant kill a 180 buck ? NO ! There are a pile of units that take 0-3 points that put out monster bucks. Ideally you can put in for a high profile unit knowing you wont draw it and pick an area that you can draw second choice with 0 points. Then you gain a point and get a tag too if your wanting to hunt that year ? I have killed a 210 buck and several really good bucks in an area that takes 3 points to draw rifle, yet I hunt it archery every year in the meantime while Im building points for rifle. Make sense ? Look at the areas that border Wyoming if thats what your after ? Look at weapon choices too. Go to hunterstrailhead.com look up drawing odds on units and go hunt. Ive never had a tag that took more than 4 points for deer and have some pretty great bucks too. Do your homework and hunt, plus we like Wyoming money !! We spend way too much there not to get some back !! Lol

If you are sure that you don't want to go this year, you can just put in for a preference point. You have to front the full cost of the deer tag for a couple of months, but they will then refund all but $28 for the point.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Wyo,
If your from Wyo, then you can hunt 180 plus bucks every year in region G or H. No points ... No draw !
It's no run of the mill hunt!!!
You just can't hunt those deer in nov and in the rut like Colo 3rd and 4th seasons. Buy the points like everyone else.
Good luck.

This is why I love Monster Muleys! You guys are huge help, I appreciate it. I think Ill just go ahead and buy a point this year because I know I will not have time to do an out of state hunt this year, unless of course I draw a sheep or goat tag in one of the many states I apply for! Anyways I think Ill just do some research and try and find an area that will suit my needs and can draw it in a few years down the road. I will be happy to give CO some of my money once they give me a good deer tag, or a sheep or goat tag!
As far as hunting the greys river country I've considered it very seriously even considering I have a horse and a mule I use for back country hunts, but it sounds like that area is very crowded any more and that is not the type of hunting I like. Maybe with a little luck next year I will be posting pictures of my great CO muley...gotta dream!

I have seen huge deer and elk in units that are no point draws or over the counter. I am not a trophy hunter but I have had my chances without collecting pp.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom