Computer Help??

Packout

Very Active Member
I am not a computer nut, so I need some advice.

Have a PC that is about 5 years old. It started to act a little slow about 2 months ago. Then yesterday I tried to turn it on and I get a black screen with the message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: WINNT\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Set up using the original set-up CD-ROM."

The computer is a Gateway and came with the software installed so I don't have a disk.

Any ideas?? Any recommendations for a reputable service in Utah County to get it running again so I can get the wife's photos off of it?? (she has some backed-up, but not all of them)

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

YOUR PUTER IS CORRUPTED!!!

I'M NO HELP WHEN IT COMES TO PUTERS!!!

D-CUPSY DID TELL ME TO TAKE A CUTTING TORCH TO MY HARD DRIVE ON MY OLD PUTER!!!

I TRIED THAT!!!

IT DIDN'T WORK!!!

AND I HAD TO GET A NEW PUTER!!!

2K LATER I GOT ME ANOTHER PUTER!!!

I'M AVERAGING A NEW PUTER EVERY 2 YEARS!!!

THIS LAST TIME THIS SOB ACTED UP & I TOOK IT IN FOR REPAIRS THEY WANTED TO KNOW WHO JB WAS???

THEY GOT A RACKET ON THESE DAMN THINGS!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

PO,

I suck at puters also, but it sure sounds like a virus to me. There is a Jensen guy in Lehi who works on them. Call him, he will fix it up.

BTW, I could not tell for sure, but I saw you or Dallan east of your dad's house today in the orchard? I think it was you? Ha!;-)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315338

As long as the disk is readable you can get the data off of it by putting it in another computer as a secondary HD. If you think its just a random occurance causing the vgaoem.fon to get deleted / corrupted I'd get your data off and reformat / reinstall. If you think the drive is failing get the data off ASAP then buy a new drive, install / copy back over your data. Drives are incredibly cheap right now... 750gig for under $130, 320s for around $80 brand new off newegg.com

My wifes drive litterally BLEW UP a couple months ago, circuit board controller chip exploded in a bunch of sparks and smoke. I thought the drive was fried and unrecoverable but I sent it to a data recovery place for kicks. They gave it a go and after a week said they couldnt recover it and sent it to another lab with even better tools. That lab took 2 weeks but were able to extract all the data off it after building a new circuit board and disassembling / rebuilding the drive from scratch. Very pricy if you have to go that route.

Anyway I'd give it a 99% chance I can get the data off. I have several powerful disk utilities that can read recover / regen data successfully... or I can even just a burn you a XPProf disk if you need it. How big is the data are you hoping to recover?

-DallanC

Packout, I agree with DallanC. The data is likely still usable and can be recovereded by making the hard drive a slave in another computer. As for restarting your own system, can you start in safe mode? Hitting F5 or F8 while it's starting before you get that error message (right after it beeps) you should get some other startup options including safe mode. If you can start in safe mode you might be able to follow the link Dallan provided. One thing I have found sometimes is that you restore one missing file and next boot it give a similar message about another file. You can chase those errors a long time. Trouble with using your original windows CD, if you had it, is it would want to restore you back to original configuration and no doubt you are several service packs ahead by now. What operating system is it? XP? 2000? Vista? (just threw up a little in my mouth) One thing I have found that takes a huge load off your mind. IF you do ever get it to start or installed as a slave, copy as much of your data as soon as possible. Don't hesitate and don't say "hey, I dodged that bullet" and go on. Software and OS can be purchased or installed again. If you get your pictures and data files off you will feel much better about messing around trying to fix it.

For the most part, unless the hard drive stops completely or "blows up" the data is many times recoverable. I'd be lying if said it doesn't happen because it sure as hell does, but most times it works out OK.

That reminds me, I haven't done a backup in forever! Good luck.

YA!!!

YOU CAN TRY D-CUPSY'S REPAIR (CUTTING TORCH!!!) BUT IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Thanks for the input-- even you ktc ---.

The windows version is XP and the data, maybe 20 gig?? or bytes or bits or k or megs or whatever....... Whatever, maybe I'll see if I can find an XP disk and reinstall??

Tony- I could be one of those two, if they were a little better looking. haha

www.sagebasin.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom