Cooking with lard

Sallaberry

Very Active Member
Who here cooks with lard. Believe it or my doctor said to cook with whole fats lard butter. Lard is so cheap and easy plus puts the crisp on anything fried. I guess McDonald’s used to use beef tallow in its friers until some pos sued the for a heart attack. Look into how bad seed oils and vegetables oils are for you.

Use it some, but not a lot, because it just isn't as convenient for me. Plus, it drives the wife nuts to leave it out on the counter!!! It has a 6-12 month shelf life, and a year if you refrigerate it, but she swears we're all gonna die when I use it after a week. It's the absolute best for baking light flaky pie crusts and pastries. The one nice thing is that being purified fat, it really doesn't have a taste that can change dishes. That said, I also use bacon grease sometimes, but always have Crisco (veg shortening) in the cupboard too! I love venison backstrap fried in bacon grease. Yum.

The tallow is just rendered and purified beef suet, like lard is from pigs, but cheaper.

The first time I was initiated to using lard for frying was on trips to Canadian fishing lodges where native guides were the norm. Shore lunch usually consisted of pike filets & potatoes, cooked in a cast iron frying pan with a pound of lard over an open fire.

My next encounter was at a friend's place in Utah. He cut antelope tenderloins into 1/2" thick medallions, breaded them in a 50/50 mix of cornmeal & flour, then deep-fried in an inch of lard. I adopted this one & used it in my Steenkin' Peeg hunting camps with pronghorn, elk & deer venison as appetizers. The guys scarfed it up like candy.

And..on my BC moose hunt, my Slavey indian guide used lard to fry bannock. It was delicious with some honey.

I do think the lard imparts somewhat of a tasty flavor that regular plant-based oils lack.

Use it some, but not a lot, because it just isn't as convenient for me. Plus, it drives the wife nuts to leave it out on the counter!!! It has a 6-12 month shelf life, and a year if you refrigerate it, but she swears we're all gonna die when I use it after a week. It's the absolute best for baking light flaky pie crusts and pastries. The one nice thing is that being purified fat, it really doesn't have a taste that can change dishes. That said, I also use bacon grease sometimes, but always have Crisco (veg shortening) in the cupboard too! I love venison backstrap fried in bacon grease. Yum.

The tallow is just rendered and purified beef suet, like lard is from pigs, but cheaper.
Ya get rid of the crisco

These seed oils are super heated then cooled and reheated. Full of GMO’s . I love cooking with grass fed/organic whole animal fats. I tell ya one I am really impressed with is duck fat.

These seed oils are super heated then cooled and reheated. Full of GMO’s . I love cooking with grass fed/organic whole animal fats. I tell ya one I am really impressed with is duck fat.
Good ol' lard fried fish & taters...

nueltonlklodge3.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom