Coolest Elk Study Ever?? They move to Private.!

No University does studies for free.

Who wanted the study?

Who paid for this study?

Who is ridiculous enough to need a scientific study to prove or disprove this hypotheses?

I’ll bet I can guess.

I’ll bet you can too.

Now that they’ve spent the money and have their answer, what are they going to do about it?

I’ll bet I can guess.

I’ll bet you can too.

Last edited:
Maybe this answers the question: For all the Conservation funds that have been donated, why hasn’t deer and elk hunting improved.

Ya think?

Internet Forum record? Made it a dozen posts into the thread and no one is arguing with the results of the study yet?!?!?
If you argue and your opinion doesn’t line up with Flounder, he will just can you. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out to just keep your mouth shut, nod and agree.

If you argue and your opinion doesn’t line up with Flounder, he will just can you. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out to just keep your mouth shut, nod and agree.
Not at all new to internet hunting forums, but I'm new(ish) here as a registered member. Do, tell more.....

I disagree. Very little is off limits except overt political arguments (and THE Church of course). That’s why nobody here knows the others politics :rolleyes:

Use some tact to get your point across and you will be ok.

I disagree. Very little is off limits except overt political arguments (and THE Church of course). That’s why nobody here knows the others politics :rolleyes:

Use some tact to get your point across and you will be ok.
judy.gif
You're an idiot & don't have a clue about what he likes. Keep your opinion to yourself.

There is nothing wrong with collecting empirical data on the behavior of wildlife. There are many nuances that can not be described with just observational data.
This is no different than the migrations that were described for years by biologists and wildlife advocates, but collars helped refine those observations, gave detailed info on when and how animals moved, stopovers, refuges, etc, etc. There is still much to learn that science can teach us. Open your minds a little.

“I think that they have evolved to be wary all of the time,” he said. “And it’s not too far fetched to think that they can associate, ‘oh look, there’s a thousand trucks coming onto the mountain today, there’s maybe a hunting season open tomorrow,’ after they’ve lived through it for a few years.”

Wow, thank God for this information, we would have never known this without this study.

“I think that they have evolved to be wary all of the time,” he said. “And it’s not too far fetched to think that they can associate, ‘oh look, there’s a thousand trucks coming onto the mountain today, there’s maybe a hunting season open tomorrow,’ after they’ve lived through it for a few years.”

Wow, thank God for this information, we would have never known this without this study.
And all this time I thought wild animals flocked to the sound of trucks and gunfire…Once again, glad that there are educated folks out there to help us through these mysteries of the great outdoors…

No University does studies for free.

Who wanted the study?

Who paid for this study?

Who is ridiculous enough to need a scientific study to prove or disprove this hypotheses?

I’ll bet I can guess.

I’ll bet you can too.

Now that they’ve spent the money and have their answer, what are they going to do about it?

I’ll bet I can guess.

I’ll bet you can too.
I'd like to know who paid for it. Often times these graduate students get grants to fund their thesis studies though, so I'm actually thinking that is a very likely source for the funding...

I'd like to know who paid for it. Often times these graduate students get grants to fund their thesis studies though, so I'm actually thinking that is a very likely source for the funding...
Well BR, we could both call anyone of the three parties and ask but I don’t really think either of us care all that much……… but my assumption came from this statement in the article shared with the original poster.

This information is the result of a collaborative effort between the Division of Wildlife Resources, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, Rocky Mountain Elk, and Brigham Young University. They wanted to learn why, when hunting season starts, Elk move from public lands to private lands.

“It had become a conundrum,” said Brock McMillan, a professor of wildlife ecology at BYU.”

As a volunteer I worked on a couple of mule deer research projects with Dr. Brock McMillan and Dr. Larsen from BYU and Utah State. Both of the projects were contracted by Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources and paid for by matching funds from SFW (Sportsmen For Fish and Wildlife). I was told that by the DWR employees on the project as well as BYU and Utah State employees.

I’ve been told by others that many of these kinds of projects are funded this way because SFW and other conservation organizations are required to fund these kinds of projects, out of the revenues they raise by selling/auctioning hunting permits at their fund raising banquets, which include revenues raised at the Western Hunting Expo banquets. That is one of the requirements these orgs agree to as part of the conservation partnerships they have with the State of Utah.

I made the assumption this Elk Research Project, as foolish as it seems, was funded the same way. In what other way would SFW be involved, if not for funding, as they have been contracted to do.

That’s my story, but your’s is a viable as mine, what ever your story is.

Well BR, we could both call anyone of the three parties and ask but I don’t really think either of us care all that much……… but my assumption came from this statement in the article shared with the original poster.

This information is the result of a collaborative effort between the Division of Wildlife Resources, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, Rocky Mountain Elk, and Brigham Young University. They wanted to learn why, when hunting season starts, Elk move from public lands to private lands.

“It had become a conundrum,” said Brock McMillan, a professor of wildlife ecology at BYU.”

As a volunteer I worked on a couple of mule deer research projects with Dr. Brock McMillan and Dr. Larsen from BYU and Utah State. Both of the projects were contracted by Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources and paid for by matching funds from SFW (Sportsmen For Fish and Wildlife). I was told that by the DWR employees on the project as well as BYU and Utah State employees.

I’ve been told by others that many of these kinds of projects are funded this way because SFW and other conservation organizations are required to fund these kinds of projects, out of the revenues they raise by selling/auctioning hunting permits at their fund raising banquets, which include revenues raised at the Western Hunting Expo banquets. That is one of the requirements these orgs agree to as part of the conservation partnerships they have with the State of Utah.

I made the assumption this Elk Research Project, as foolish as it seems, was funded the same way. In what other way would SFW be involved, if not for funding, as they have been contracted to do.

That’s my story, but your’s is a viable as mine, what ever your story is.
I think you're probably right, reading that back.

Elk can’t read.
I’ve been hunting elk since the 80’s and the one thing I’ve learned about elk is, they are going to be where you find them.

Elk do not run into camp and surrender, they very seldom hang around on the road during hunting season and they won’t be around a bunch of hunters.

Just like hunting other big game animals, get up early, (stay out late) walk to a place where other hunters won’t walk and then start hunting from there. Your success rate will dramatically increase.

Last edited:
Elk go where the people aren’t. And will stay there until they get harassed by people, resources dry up for them or winter pushes them out. Private property usually has a mixture of all of what they are looking for to survive comfortably. But many elk don’t even go for the private. They find places people don’t go and stay there. Look at any elk unit in the state that has suitable habitat for them to meet their needs. Then find those areas that are as far away from the roads or any access points as you can find in the entire unit. Go there. I bet you see elk.

Glad I started this thread... You guys have brought it to life. Great jokes all around about the researchers. Can you imagine if they just paid sportsmen like you for some interview time and commentary about this stuff that we all see and experience. :LOL:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom