COUNTING THE DAYS

goinhuntn

COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS NOW FOR MY LATE RIFLE ELK HUNT IN UNIT 8.
I KNOW ITS GONNA BE A TOUGH HUNT, BUT I HAVE DONE ALOT OF SCOUTING AND RESEARCH! HOPING TO DROP A NICE BULL, BUT IF I DON'T I'LL HAVE A GOOD TIME CAMPING WITH THE OLD MAN. JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXCITEMENT WITH SOME FELLOW MM GUYS. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO STILL HAVE HUNTS COMING UP!!

I'll share that excitement as well because I know that hunt and hope you and your pops share some good memories my boys and I just got back from ten days of a lot of fun so good luck and good hunting!

When you get your elk if you plan on hanging it in your camp be careful. I got a bull in the early hunt and someone came into our camp and stole my backstraps. Just a heads up. Mike

We hunted hard till last day hunt one of my boys pulled trigger on a really nice 4 point with a cheater on the third day he didn't realize his younger brother turned up the scope to nine power so when he went to shoot at really close range he missed we had two other times we could took a forkie and a two point but passed we had a lot of fun but it truly was a tough hunt one day it snowed and I tracked a deer for 6 miles and couldn't get a shot off but like I said it was really fun just spending time with boys I bagged a coyote so that was my harvest for trip,we went into kanab and stopped at muly crazy store met Dan hatch great store and awesome mounts he even put us on deer that afternoon so that another fun filled day to say the least now were all itching bad to get back out again but we will see maybe late archery hunt in unit ten? Ive seen some monsters there.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-11 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]

IMAG0073.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/J4GqYLuN8p4QK_eDoFnC9Q?feat=directlink

Here are a couple of pictures. Not the biggest bull in Unit 8 but my biggest to date. He was a fighter he did have a few broken points and I think he broke one when he fell because the antler had a white look to it as if it was freshly broken off.

I got him on opening morning at 6:20am friday 10/21/11. We hunted in the north part of the unit. We camped off of the 102 and 25 roads. The 102 is paved into the Sherwood Forrest subdivision. We scouted the area alot we knew the elk crossed the road thru here every morning in the same area. We had seen several other good bulls in the area but did not see any of them after opening morning. We got back to camp after loading my bull up and haning him and skinning just in time to go out for the evening hunt that night. We did not see anything Friday night or saturday morning. It was still hot durring the day so we decided to quarter up the elk on Saturday late morning/early afternoon. We walked back to start on the elk and someone stole the backstraps off of it. Both sides of the spine about 16inches each side completely gone. I was so discusted. We could not believe it. So needless to say that made for a very dissapointing rest of our hunt. We did not see another bull the rest of the hunt. We did see some before sunrise but it was to early to shoot. We did get over 200 pounds of meat but sure would have loved some backstrap. I guess that person needed the meat more than we did. Mike

That sucks someone stole your backstraps! I guess no place is immune to thieves. Congrats on a nice bull like you said he may not be the biggest, but I would be damn proud a bull like that and you got meat in the freezer! What more could you ask for.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom