Coyote huntin

Just started my big game coyote karma for 2024. The predators took a beating also in the NW CO area last winter, but they just starting showing back up and have to hungry as the gut piles and few and far in between this area. 2 stands the other am and harvested 1 small female. I will get out this weekend and do some more good karma!

JPicket - What sounds are you keying on right now. We have no rabbits around here now and I was using a pup in distress and vole squeeks. A million voles around here to say the least.

I never use rabbit. Vole squeak is my number one preset. I’ll run that for 5-6 minutes to start a stand and its amazing how far they will come into that. I’ve seen them turn and come to it from 600. After that this time of year it’s all bird for me. Mostly woodpecker. I’ll start in with the pup harder later in the year but rodent and woodpecker always works.

The number one thing to remember is volume. If you think you’re too quite to start you’re probably too loud. I start that vole at like a 16 on the x24 and go up from there. Maybe a little louder if you’re running a shockwave or one of the older fox pros. You can always get louder

The number one thing to remember is volume. If you think you’re too quite to start you’re probably too loud. I start that vole at like a 16 on the x24 and go up from there. Maybe a little louder if you’re running a shockwave or one of the older fox pros. You can always get louder
I appreciate your input. Last year one of you guys mentioned the volume issue and I’m sure I was continually starting way too loud.
Thanks again for sharing this information

I appreciate your input. Last year one of you guys mentioned the volume issue and I’m sure I was continually starting way too loud.
Thanks again for sharing this information
Yeah Ive called in dogs in literally under 20 seconds. That means I set that call on top of them, too loud and you spook that coyote

Don’t get too hung up on what sound, reality is they will come to almost anything if it’s presented right. Focus on stand selection, set up and presentation of your sounds. I like frantic sounds, it’s gotta sound real. Just wailing a rabbit for 15 min straight doesn’t sound natural. It may work once in a while but not consistently.

Really learn how to set up a stand. You’d be surprised what you call in and never see if your not set up right

when I’d target cats I’d typically try find sign and go from there. Sound wise I’ve had them come to all sorts of sounds. From rabbit to any bird sounds. The biggest factor with cats it’s patience.

1700775860490.jpeg
1700775878884.jpeg
1700775895880.jpeg
A few from years ago sorry for the blurry photos.

Interesting- are you just calling a few minutes or playing multiple different distress sounds over a 10-15 minute set for cats

Don't laugh too loud - I am such a novice.
I woke out this am planning on doing a few stands. It was 8 degrees and snowing pretty good with limited visibility. The wife said she was making a nice breakfast and I would need to be back by 10am. I checked the weather and it looked like it would be done snowing about breakfast time so I decided to hunt later today and enjoy my good breakfast.
Around noon the sun breaks out and I am shoveling snow and I see a coyote out in my neighbors meadow hunting hard. about a mile away. I watched him waiting to see which group of red willows he would most likely enter and be ready to head out for hopefully a short hunt. Sure enough after about 30 minutes he disappears into one of the willow patches. I am off and nearly running to get set up on him.
I get set up about 500 yards from the willow patches and start off with my lowest setting vole call. It is still really cold 12 degrees and now I have slight breeze. I am already thinking I hope this is short hunt as laying in 6" of snow and I am getting cold and uncomfortable almost immediately.
As soon as start calling a big coyote steps out of the other patch of of willows. I am surprised, but now I am thinking I have big pair in play. For a second, I thought maybe it watched me get set up, but it starts working toward the other willow patch that I watched the other one go into. Either way, I am feeling good.
The breeze picks up and the big dog actually starts hunting so I hit the volume button a little trying to get its attention incase we just had a coincidental sighting. The dog disappears into the willow patch and I keep calling to no avail. After 5 minutes I switch to the woodpecker call still expecting to see 1 or 2 big dogs leave the willow patch - to no avail.
I am really cold and getting bummed, so i go back to my old trusty -pup in distress call. The wind is picking up and I can't wait for the 20 minute stand to be over. I try and shut the call off at 18 minutes and am having a hard time since my fingers are so cold and keep punching the wrong arrow. Finally I get the power off or at least I thought I did as I now the damm call is yipping and barking. I start punching the damm buttons trying to shut it off to no avail. Finally I turn the damm thing back on the pup in distress call starts playing ---- AT that moment in time It all clicks!!
I look over about a 125 yards away not in the direction of the willows is a medium dog yipping/barking pacing back and forth.
I promptly shot him and started laughing so hard.

Another lesson learned!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom