Crossbow Education

adamsoa

Crossbow Education
Crossbows are often a touchy subject here. Because they aren't legal for any hunts without a certificate of registration for a handicap, most hunters aren't very familiar with them. To help with this we are having an educational shoot out here in the Basin.
On Saturday the 14th at 1pm we will have a shoot here in the Cove area of Roosevelt.
Right now we have 7 different crossbows from some of the top companies that will be available.
Please come out and join us and give it a try. We will have a great time shooting a few arrows.
For those of you that don't like crossbows but haven't ever shot one come give it a try. If you still don't like them at you will be speaking from experience.
I'll have a map up by the end of the day.
Thanks
Andy

respect my authorita

Thanks for the response! I am aware of that. Currently there is a lot of misinformation here in Utah about them so I am trying to help out with some education.

respect my authorita

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-12 AT 02:39PM (MST)[p]During the utah deer hunt I saw a older fellow that had one strapped on the front of his four wheeler. Cocked and lock, no bolt in it thought. I thought it was weird to have it cocked all day long. As far as I know only handcapped hunters can use crossbows in utah. Is this still the truth ?

Yes that is true. I have major shoulder problems & my surgeon knows I am a die hard archery hunter. He knew more about the laws than I did since he has patients in this situation. He has the forms in his office that people can submit to the DWR.

Personally I'll learn to shoot left handed before I'll hunt with a crossbow, I have nothing against them - just not my thing.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-12
>AT 02:39?PM (MST)

>
>During the utah deer hunt I
>saw a older fellow that
>had one strapped on the
>front of his four wheeler.
>Cocked and lock, no bolt
>in it thought. I thought
>it was weird to have
>it cocked all day long.
>As far as I know
>only handcapped hunters can use
>crossbows in utah. Is this
>still the truth ?

Deerlove,

Thanks for your opinion. This isn't about trying to start a fight. It's about giving people the opportunity to actually see a crossbow and what it can do. It's an educational exercise. There are a lot of people that believe huge myths and misconceptions about crossbows (I actually had someone tell me that you could kill deer at 200 yards with them?) Most people never held or shot one in their life. They simply pass on information that others have given to them.
I want to give sportsmen the opportunity to make an informed decision. No one says you have to like it but if you've at least shot one you have that knowledge.

However in respect to education let's get something straight. Crossbows aren't legal to use on the archery hunt here in Utah without a COR.
As to them being or not being a bow or archery equipment that is YOUR opinion.
The Federal Government has already defined them as both bows and archery equipment.

Here is the Government Definition:

Bow Definition: Bow includes all articles made of flexible materials, that are designed to be equipped with a string and used for the propelling of arrows in the sport of archery (target shooting), or in hunting or fishing. Reg. Section 48.4161(b)-2(a)(1)

Bow Definition: All bows that have a peak draw weight of 30 pounds or more, including laminated composite bow, solid glass, wood, steel, etc bows and crossbows. IRC 4161(b)(1)(A). The taxability of a compound bow with an adjustable draw weight is based on the maximum draw weight of the bow.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=203117,00.html

respect my authorita

Sounds like a worthwhile activity. I believe that the arrows are called bolts.

As stated they are legal in some states, though I couldn't imagine wanting to pack one of those beasts around on a hunt...

Crossbows have been legal weapons for some hunts now for several seasons here in Nevada. Here's a decent buck taken in 2009.
4799crossbow_buck-nv.jpg

What is the purpose of this "Education"

Is it to show that they are better than bows
or to show that they are worse than bows.

Just not sure the intent of the education of crossbows.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-12 AT 08:26AM (MST)[p]Adamsoa where just asking a few question. Not trying to start a fight.I can use some education. What is the range of these modern crossbows ? Do they allow you to hunt with them during the rifle hunt in utah
Nice buck pete !!

The education is to show that they really aren't that much different than bows. There are a lot of people who believe that crossbows are something that they aren't. Scott was telling me about some of the guys in his league who were sure that you could shoot animals at 200 yards with them. You gotta know that that isn't true.
They don't have some mythical properties or anything else about them. I just want people to be able to hold one and shoot it and see for themselves what they can do.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-12 AT 09:24AM (MST)[p]BIGJOHNT,

No problem, I'm happy to answer questions.

The range of the modern crossbows is the same as any other modern archery equipment. There are pluses and minuses for both. Crossbows can be more accurate if you shoot them off of a good rest----which isn't all that easy to lug around and get within 30-40 yards of an animal. Vertical bows are way more accurate if you shoot them off hand.
There are videos of guys shooting targets at 100 yards with crossbows. They are pro shooters shooting with high power optics and using a bench rest. There are also videos of guys shooting deer at 120 yards plus with their compound bows.
It comes down to a question of ethics. There are ethical distances that you shouldn't shoot at with any stick and string weapon.
At hunting ranges there isnt a lot of difference between vertical bows and crossbows. They shoot very similar arrows that have the same drops at the same distances.
So far in hunting there is no difference in harvest statistics for either of them. Wyoming has had them legal for over 20 years and they no longer keep separate statistics between vertical bows and crossbows. They stated that the difference never varied.
Currently there is a ton of information out from many different states that are tracking their use. Overall there are over a million total crossbow hunters. There hasn't been shown ANY difference in harvest rates in any of the states. A lot of people think they are much better than vertical bows or have some kind of an advantage but in harvest statistics it's never been shown.
Sorry for the long answer. I guess to sum it all up in a simple statement their range and capabilities are the same as any other piece of modern archery equipment.

Currently in Utah you can only shoot a crossbow with a certificate of registration that states you have an almost complete handicap that prevents you from shooting a bow. They arent legal for any 'any weapons' hunts.

Andy

respect my authorita

I believe adamsoa is pretty accurate as far as the statistics on crossbows go. There was a huge stink up here in Michigan several years ago when it was decided to allow them during the regular archery season. They formerly were only allowed during the gun season or under a Doctor approved handicap license like Utah evidently has at the present time. The fears that many people had didn't happen and now they are just like any other weapon that has been allowed, whether it be shotgun, rifle, handgun, ML, etc. The biggest thing I heard is that people just want to use them because they're lazy and they're much easier to shoot accurately. I think the latter is true from what I've personally witnessed as far as not taking much practice to hit the bull compared to a conventional bow.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-12 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]This is the location: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...Q&vpsrc=0&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=16&via=1&t=h&z=16

This gets you to the neighborhood. For some reason Google maps won't let me take you into the neighborhood. You turn south at this road and go straight till the end?About 4 blocks. It's now paved and nice. We are shooting in the big alfalfa fields at the end of the road.

respect my authorita

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom