Crow Season

antlerrick

Very Active Member
Utah is having a crow season and I am wondering if any of you have any experience with what you do with a crow after harvesting it? Have you ate them????? argh....
It is a protected species, so if you waste them, you are setting yourself up for a citation I would think.
So what is the purpose of the season other than to reduce the number of crows?
Just can't see myself eating one of those things, but hate to miss another opportunity to do a little wingshooting?
Your thoughts?

I eat crow all the time. My wife sees to that!
It's hard to swallow at times.
Zeke

So has no one got any ideas of what to do with a dead crow after you shoot it during the hunt? Not sure anyone will be taking the division up on their crow hunt?

antlerrick, you are joking right??? if not take that dead crow to dwr, they can show you what to do with it???

I shoot a bunch every year in season of course, they are smart and fun to decoy in. I have an owl decoy and a dozen crow decoys. I set them up in the canyons and start calling they just bomb your decoys back and forth until you decide to shoot then you usually have to move before you can get more to come in as they are real smart. I wouldn't eat one and didn't know I had to. The cities on the Platte River often have a huge problem with them as they are migrating through in December and January as they get fowl cholera and city workers pick them up in the morning under roost trees and burn pickup loads of them outside of town, not sure if that is legal.

They are in their migration right now and there is literally thousands of them in the cedar canyons.

We used to shut the call off for 10 minutes after we shot, turn it back on and they'd come back for more. U could do that a few times, then have to move the set up. Good wing shootin practice!

A related question, does anyone know a taxidermist that has experience with crow? Can't wait to add a crow to my trophy room.

HERB'S CROW HASH

4 or 5 crows
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can chicken broth
1/4 c. butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
Juice from 1/2 lemon
8-12 oz. sliced mushrooms
Flour
1 bay leaf
Rice or toast

THE MARINADE:

1 pt. vinegar
1 pt. water
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Skin the crows. Cut away any fat. Cut bird in half. Mix marinade. Pour over crow in glass container for 24 hours in refrigerator. Discard marinade. Boil crow in a pot with water, 1 bay leaf. Remove meat from bone, slicing it against the grain. In a large fry pan heat butter, mushrooms and add chicken broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes. Thicken with flour. Serve over rice or toast. Serves 4.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Yes, certainly, don't let all that delicious meat go to waste!
If you shoot any Federally protected vermin you should be sure to use EVERY bite!
Let us know how it is please. You might be on to something.
Zeke

Shoot them off a fence post with a center fire and the question will answer itself.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

1911, a .243 would be ideal.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

I hunted them in Virginia and figured out how to do crow in distress call. Flock would swoop down at me and I would shoot one or two. They would fly away a couple hundred yards or so in the woods and make a lot of racket. A couple minutes later I would do it again and they would all come back trying to help their friends I guess. Never ate them though. They are a dime a dozen out there.

ghetto parrots.....

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
- H.L. Mencken, the Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom