CWMU question

southslope82

My Question is on a CWMU does a tag holder have to secure permisson to hunt differnet parts of the property? Or can he hunt the whole CWMU? I was just wondering this cause one of the CWMU's that I was thinking about applying for I know has cows on it during the hunt. I know livestock owners can be pretty protective on this subject which they should be I guess but how does it work.

They can tell you where, when, and how. It is best to contact them before hand and find out if what they offer is in line with what you want in a hunt. Also, get on here and ask for others who have hunted it to tell you there opinions of how it went.

Good luck!

I thought if you draw the tag you get to hunt all the property. Thats how it I took it.

It SHOULD bw the whole unit. They signed up for the program and should treat DRAWN hunters the same as their paying hunters.

If they do not like these rules, the should have NEVER signed up for the program.

Having said this, there are some great CWMU's out there. However, IMO, there are still ones out there that think they can make the money off paying customers, and rip-off the drawn hunters.

The new rule for 2009 is that all designated "open" areas within a CWMU are open to the public hunters. There are some CWMUs which have "rest" areas which are supposed to be closed to all hunters. This is a new rule that goes into effect for 2009.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

Another CWMU Question that I had was If a guy was to draw a permit is he only allowed to be on the property during his hunt? What about scouting? I also was wondering does the operator of the unit have to be with you or can you hunt the CWMU by yourself?

As far as I know your only on the area during the hunt. And the operator is not with you unless thay have a guide.

The outfitter i work for runs five CWMU's, some are fully guided for free, some are DIY.
You MUST call the operator to get specific details, they are not all ran the same.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-08 AT 11:36AM (MST)[p]I always thought you had the same access to hunting areas as the paying customer of the CWMU. This may be the rule...but that doesn't mean they follow them. I was on a CWMU where they stuck all the public tag holders on one small portion of the property while the paying customers got full access to where the animals really were. It was a load of crap. I'd check into the CWMU and how they operate before you waste your bonus points and wait period for nothing.

So what do you do if a CWMU sticks you on a small section of land and won't let you hunt the entire property?

Bowgirl- It is a new regulation, that they must allow you full access (unless specified in their plan as a rest area). Previously, the CWMU could tell you where to hunt. That is not the case anymore. Even if the CWMU guides you, you should be able to tell them what part of the ranch you want to hunt (if you know the ranch well enough).

Also, some CWMUs will allow you to scout, some will not. Every public hunter has the right to the November hunt also (if the CWMU has a Nov hunt).

www.sagebasin.com

The best thing to do is to print out the CWMU map that the DWR has on their site. If you take this map with you, and the owner tries to pull tricks on you, just tell them that by law you are allowed to hunt the boundries given on the map you have.
As far as properties with livestock, that may be a different story. If a land owner has livestock on his property and doesn't want them disturbed, I think he has a right to protect the area that they are in. As long as you get to hunt everything that the paying customers get to hunt, then I wouldn't complain.
You also get 5 days to hunt by law. So don't let them tell you that you only get one day. As said before, I would contact the owner before applying. I would also do a bunch of research on the area and quality of animals. Many Nothern Utah CWMU took a big hit last winter on the deer pops. This year might not be any better.
Here's the link to the maps and a link to the CWMU site that lists some rules and info about CWMUs

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/cwmu/
http://www.cwmuutahwildlife.org/

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom