CWMU - Where Do I Even Start?!

Murdoc34

I'm hoping to hunt a CWMU for Deer in 2016 but after looking at all the options I'm not even sure where to begin. Right now I have 5 deer points but would be open to paying $4k plus for a decent tag since I'm guessing Im not even close to having enough points.

Anybody open to sharing any advice on what property may be a good option would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I assume you are a Utah resident? Only residents can apply for CWMU tags in the draw, non residents must buy permits from CWMU operators. Depending on the size of buck you expect to be hunting will dictate whether 5 points or 4k is enough. There are quite a few cwmu's that can be drawn or bought with your points or budget but you have a long ways to go for the top units. A few more details and it will be easier to give you some direction. What size of buck are you expecting? Type of terrain you'd like to hunt? Early fall, late fall? What part of the state? Do you want to see lots of deer daily or are you ok with not seeing many deer but good chance of big bucks? When selecting a CWMU these are just a few of the many variables to consider.

Thanks for the reply! Here's some additional info:

Yep, I'm a Utah resident. I'd be open to hunting any time during the fall with a slight preference being in Novemeber if it's available. Anything that has good glassing is preferable for terrain type. It would also be great if the unit had areas that weren't easily accessible as I'm physically able to get into those areas and enjoy doing so. That would be important for me that the entire unit isn't all cut up and accessible via atv trails. I hope to feel I can increase my odds with getting out and working for a good deer with my feet if that makes sense. Anywhere in the state is good for me.

As far as size goes. If I have a decent chance at seeing a 185" with a remote chance at something bigger I'd be happy. I don't need to see a lot of deer everyday.

I'd be curious what you feel the top units are in the state and how much the tags go for. I'm not opposed to spending more for the right tag.

The Alton CWMU is probably the best CWMU unit in the state. Right in the middle of the Paunsagaunt. But I do not know what a tag would run. I am guessing it's over 10K

Thanks for the info Crimedog. I think you're right about that hunt being one heck of a hunt but with a big price tag. Maybe someday right?!

Altons deer run in the 20's, ensigns are up there too, there are a lot of good cwmus in the chalk creek area, I think a lot of the bought tags are going to be more around 6-8k,ecspecially if your wanting a 185 buck or bigger

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Murdoc,
Alton, Ensign, and Deseret are the most well know units for quality and price. They take a lot of points to draw and lots of money to buy.

Choosing the right cwmu for you takes quite a bit of time to sort through them all. Not sure if you looked already but there is info on dwr website to help. I suggest doing what I did a few years ago to pick your unit. Go to the dwr website and go to the big game page. Click on the link to harvest stats and print off the most recent harvest stats(2014). Start a process of elimination by crossing off units that don't meet your criteria. You can get a feel for the unit based on avg. days hunted vs. success rate. You can also cross off units that you think have to many or not enough tags, when I did it I crossed out every unit with only one tag. I only kept units that had a tag available in the bonus round. I also crossed out units with a lot of tags, I could be wrong but I felt like those units where more about removing deer than producing trophy quality.

Once you've narrowed it down on what units your still interested in then compare your list to the 2015 draw odds, available on the same page of the dwr website. Units that took a lot more points to draw than you have could be eliminated also because they will likely be out of your price range also. Units that have extremely low applicant numbers likely have a reason(poor quality, low deer numbers, past issues with the operator, etc.)and can be eliminated.

Doing those two steps will narrow down your search dramatically. You can then look at maps on the dwr page to get a feel for the lay of the land to determine if the unit has tough to get to places like you mentioned. Again eliminating units that don't meet your criteria. Once your to that point get the operators' phone numbers off the dwr website and talk to them. Get a feel for the type of operation they run. Some are great and will help you out and others will brush you off hoping to discourage you from putting in so they can improve the odds for their friends to draw. The best way I found to avoid that issue was to first ask about everything as if you were interested in buying a tag, then once you've had that talk let them know you are also considering putting in for the hunt in the draw. That way your honest with the operator and if you decide to put in for the tag in the draw instead of buying one you have a better feel for what to really expect during your hunt.

Hope this helps you out. If you do these steps you'll go into your hunt knowing what to expect and what NOT to expect. I think a lot of the bad wrap cwmu's get is from hunters not doing their due diligence and then when they draw they have unrealistic expectations and demands.

4k will usually buy a tag on a unit that can produce a 160-170 type buck. To get on a unit that has a decent chance of 185 you'll pay 10k easily. That's not to say that the lower priced units can't produce a buck that size, but they are generally few and far between.

My personal choice would be Ensign, quality bucks and a bit easier to draw than Alton. Takes about 15 points right now.

Pick a unit you want to hunt, and just keep building points, maybe you'll get lucky along the way!

2a0fcsk.gif

This is all great info. I took some time today to review the CWMU list and can definitely see per your suggestion that one can really narrow it down by doing some howework. It looks like there are some great options. Thanks again to everyone for the replies and info!

>Unless something has changed since I
>was involved in cwmu's, October
>31st was the last day
>you could hunt.

SOME units are now allowed to hunt later into the year.

It's pretty sad that $4,000 won't get you much. I know several CWMU's in northern Utah that charge that much and the deer quality is relatively poor. I wouldn't burn points on these units and certainly wouldn't pay the price to hunt them. Hopefully you can find something that falls within your budget. You could maybe give Justin Richins a call. He may have some good options for you. I know 2 units in northern Utah right off the top of my head that are charging $10,000 & $12,000 for deer. A Vernon landowner tag would be within your budget. You could consider something like that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom