CWMU's walkin access

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-13 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-13 AT 04:04?PM (MST)

I have contacted DWR and the CWMU operator and nobody can give me a straight answer on whether or not I can walk into public ground in the middle of a CWMU. I have heard that there has to be a road that goes into it. I have also heard that I can get to it by bush-wacking, while others say I will get a trespassing ticket. Do you guys have any idea what the rule is here?

I have seen this a few times. In one case the land on top was public but private all around it. In this case there was a county road that drove threw the private property to access the public. The gate was painted orange and said no trespassing and to keep the gate closed. Obsessively the owners of the land was not making it easy to find the access point. Hunting gps maps may help you find a way onto the public land. If you just go hiking threw the private land you are trespassing and can be ticketed .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-13 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-13 AT 06:37?PM (MST)

Thanks John I will check out my GPS. How is Fishlake looking? Do you have me a big bull spotted? ;-)

School--

A couple of questions back to you that might help us/me answer your question. Perhaps if I knew which unit (and you can send me an email) you were referring to I could lend further assistance but...it would be helpful to know...

1--is the public land land locked? Even if there is a road that goes to it, that road may or may not be public. I would wager if it was public, we wouldn't be having this discussion and it wouldn't be a secret.

2--is the parcel a part of/included in the CWMU, many have public lands within their boundaries that are actually included as part of the unit? If it is, walking into it (assuming you can and that it is not landlocked) to hunt birds, hunt sheds, coyotes, look for dicky birds, have a lunch with your wife or whatever your pleasure is is fine/allowed/legal to do but it its a part of the CWMU you cannot hunt big game animals (for which that CWMU has a COR for) on the unit, you can actually be on their bird hunting during the season and be fine but you cannot be hunting big game.

3--if the public land is landlocked ("in the middle of the CWMU") how will you get to it by bush wacking without trespassing on private land or land that is in the CWMU which you cannot trespass on if its private?

Best

Todd

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

School, My daughter lives up in Fish lake. She works at the Bowery Haven resort. I dont know if you do the instagram thing ? If you do you can follower her. she has a lot of picture of deer and elk a lot from the fish lake area. She is also a prostaff person for huntersfix. She post up on phoneskope and ##### a lot. she goes by shellhunts93. I will see if I can post up one of her pictures.
5339hightop.jpg

This is a bull she started calling "Hightop" He only has G1 and then everything else is up on the top. Looks to be really heavy beemed

Talk to the County Road Maint shop Supervisor, if it been graded by them you can use it and they will help you get the gate unlocked try that first, if that doesn't work then the county commissioners will be the next step to find it a legal county road.

Start now if you want to hunt it this year.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I can tell you right now that you will not suceed on hunting a piece of land within the CWMU. Most of these parcels are part of the CWMU and cannot be hunted for big game. You may want to inquire about trade lands that were given to the public for the loss of that parcel. Either that or the CWMU changed the split ratios in favor of the public to make up for the lost public property.

I chased down little public parcels for several years and finally read the CWMU rule and found out that they can legally take away public land and include it into a CWMU. It still says it's public on a map, which causes problems, but that's the way it is.

I would start looking at a different area or call the operator and find out the details of the property and the public parcel. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I do a lot with the CWMU program and I have familiarized myself with many of them. Especially the ones that include public land.

Thanks,

HJB

Thanks John, blanding, HJB, and everyone else. You guys are right, the public ground is landlocked and I can't get to it. Doesn't seem right to me.

The most important thing to note is that even though its public land in the middle of a CWMU, if it has been 'annexed' into the CWMU you cannot hunt the animals on that piece of public ground that are hunted on the CWMU. If it is simply landlocked public land NOT INCLUDED in the CWMU then you can helicopter into it and hunt! I'll post pictures for an example of both scenarios

These first two pictures are examples of PUBLIC ground that the PUBLIC CANNOT HUNT. I use the DESERET CWMU as my example.

This picture shows public BLM (yellow) surrounded by private (white)
3759capture555.jpg

This shows that we get screwed out of hundred of acres of PUBLIC land
4002capture55.jpg

Not to defend the CWMU program or anything, but if a CWMU has public land inside of it, the DWR makes them give a higher percentage of public permits on the CWMU, and thus compensating the public for the use of their land.

Before the CWMU program, that "landlocked" land would have been off limits to the public entirely.

DEADicated

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom