Daughters 45 elk tag

JDElec

My 14 year old snagged a tag. Well I decided to put in for the unit 45 super early rifle elk tag based solely on the dates Aug 1-29. Due to other commitments later in the year. I haven't been to the unit and did not expect to draw but we got lucky and now I need to learn. I'm going to head up tomorrow (July 5th) and at least have a look around to get familiar with the unit. From what I've heard (very little) we may be in for a somewhat more difficult hunt due to bulls mostly staying on private. I'm planning on camping this weekend at or near Anderson Ranch Reservoir. I'll have my wife and other kids with me and it looks nice for camping. I don't mind driving around the unit a bit to get to know roads. If anybody has any thoughts about places to start looking, that would be great. Also if anyone knows of a landowner that may be friendly to hunters or have a soft spot for a little girl with a tag, that would also be great. Any help would be awesome pms are good and hopefully I can find a few this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

I was thinking of camping at Mormon res. How is the camping there I couldn't tell if there were good places. Also how would it be for my older kids in a raft or canoe.

>I was thinking of camping at
>Mormon res. How is the
>camping there I couldn't tell
>if there were good places.
>Also how would it be
>for my older kids in
>a raft or canoe.

It's just an average res. Camping is fine depending on your needs. It's not as "improved" as Anderson. Older boys would probably like Anderson better though. More to look at.... lol

I hope you were able to find something this passed weekend. I was in the unit as well scouting for deer. This is my email [email protected] It may be helpful to us both the connect and help each other out.
Cheers.

Dillon1110 Email sent.

We had a decent weekend. I was able to find some good bulls but as predicted mostly on private property. I did see a couple nice 6 point bulls on public. I didn't have enough time to really dig deep into the unit. I spent a lot of time just getting around and becoming familiar with the lay of the land.

Good luck! I have no knowledge of the unit but I would think the bulls would be in the same areas in August as in July.

Thanks to Idaho, beautiful state with amazing opportunities. Also thanks to Dillon good luck on your deer hunt.

7009c797641324364d6382695ce62263286e.jpeg

Congrats on your guys success, looks to be a well placed shot as well!

Would love to hear the story if you have time to post it up. A neat experience/challenge to hunting and packing out elk in mid August I'd assume.

OMG, HERE WE GO AGAIN FOLKS. Nice your 14 y.o. daughter "Snagged a tag" Really what you want to know is where us Idaho residents are hiding the elk or would like to scout for you since your so busy to come to our state and scout on your own. How about you tie a nice buck up for me and I'll come down to Utah and "SNAG A TAG" and bring home a nice trophy. :)

>OMG, HERE WE GO AGAIN FOLKS.
>Nice your 14 y.o. daughter
>"Snagged a tag" Really what
>you want to know is
>where us Idaho residents are
>hiding the elk or would
>like to scout for you
>since your so busy to
>come to our state and
>scout on your own. How
>about you tie a nice
>buck up for me and
>I'll come down to Utah
>and "SNAG A TAG" and
>bring home a nice trophy.
>:)

Hey dude, read the entire thread you dumbass.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-19 AT 06:54AM (MST)[p]>>OMG, HERE WE GO AGAIN FOLKS.
>>Nice your 14 y.o. daughter
>>"Snagged a tag" Really what
>>you want to know is
>>where us Idaho residents are
>>hiding the elk or would
>>like to scout for you
>>since your so busy to
>>come to our state and
>>scout on your own. How
>>about you tie a nice
>>buck up for me and
>>I'll come down to Utah
>>and "SNAG A TAG" and
>>bring home a nice trophy.
>>:)
>
>Hey dude, read the entire thread
>you dumbass.

I don't know about that. I read the entire thread and had nearly the same response as he did. Guys living their hunting dreams vicariously through their kids and using them to beg for hunting knowledge and intel. Sure, he made a scouting trip on his own but how many guys from here gave him additional intel?

Great bull! Congrats to your daughter.
And don't mind some of the Idaho asses on here, they just can't help themselves.

hwy

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-19 AT 08:13AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-19 AT 08:11?AM (MST)

I have mixed emotions with these posts.
First I had one person from MM give me any specific hunting information. It was a guy who has a tag this year. Basically we where happy to help each other with reports of anything we saw. His tag is deer my daughters was elk, so it made sense we weren't competing. I feel I got the better end of the deal as he saw more elk than I saw deer but a positive net outcome. I did give him deer info. The elk we killed happened to not be one he had seen.

Second I don't live vicariously through my kids. I hunt way too much each year personally. However I cherish the opportunities and memories that hunting with my kids brings. My oldest is married and I already see that those hunts we shared during her teenage years are essentially a thing of the past. At this point in her life she doesn't have the time or resources to go much if at all.

Third as I reread what I posted I do think I can see that I was ?using? my daughters tag as a way to tug on hearts to get intel. Though that wasn?t really my thought process in hindsight I believe me saying ?my daughter tag? makes that exactly what I did. My goal was to have the best hunt with my girl that we could. I really didn't mean to, and generally wasn?t looking for any bodies special spots. My first questions were about camping spots and where to start.

Fourth I do feel that we as a hunting community are far to negative towards each other. Definitely I do not think that not giving information or handouts is negative (bad sentence structure). But harping on everyone who isn't from here, or hunts differently than me, or just happened to get drawn somewhere they aren't an expert in, or any other reason. These aren't reasons to hate on people. I may not a a gazillion posts but I've been on mm long enough to have seen the shift in our attitudes towards each other.

Fifth I really don't know why I'm making a numbered list but I hope everybody makes the best of whatever situation they are in. Whether they drew the tag of a lifetime or they were scouring leftover lists. Good luck all

Edit. I don't want anything I'm saying to be confused with me saying you should give people specific information in a unit. Hold your ?honey holes? secret and dear. But if you feel inclined some basic general information may be appropriate. And PM?s are a good idea

>>Hey dude, read the entire thread
>>you dumbass.

>I don't know about that.
>I read the entire thread
>and had nearly the same
>response as he did.
>Guys living their hunting dreams
>vicariously through their kids and
>using them to beg for
>hunting knowledge and intel.
>Sure, he made a scouting
>trip on his own but
>how many guys from here
>gave him additional intel?

This tag had 3% draw odds....

What the OP did right:

Researched
Was polite
Kept it to PM's
Scouted, boots on the ground
Returned the favor to a deer tag holder
Helped his daughter kill a great bull in a unit without an overload of elk on public
Reported back
Said thank you & was complimentary of our state
Has a couple hundred posts and clearly hunts ID routinely

The OP should apologize for absolutely nothing. He showed textbook forum etiquette. Some of you guys are complete dipshits.

Wow, good Dad having a great time in the woods with his daughter and jealousy is how Idaho reacts? Be ashamed.

Good job Dad, you really have a winner there in that little girl, enjoy those memories!

Congratulations! Awesome job making the most of the tag, making some great memories and navigating the Idahate. We?re you able to preserve the velvet?

Last year my daughter tagged her first bull thanks to a MM buddy. She talks about it often. This year she wants to focus on school and not hunting. I'm not sure how to feel about that!

Congratulations! Those are no doubt cherished memories made. I know when my daughter drew an elk tag in Idaho last year we made some memories. We also had some help from good people. I think we all come to this sight for fun and sometimes helpful information. If you don't want to tell your honey holes then don't. If you want to share then do. Forget the nay sayers. I have found far more good people here on MM than bad. It's just a shame some can't keep quiet.
Thanks for sharing the pic. That's what it's all about! Good job!

One of the classiest posts I've ever read on MM. Thank you.

I will add another number to your post. Don't we all agree on the value of passing our hunting traditions on to the next generation? Or even someone genuinely interested in picking this up and who will eventually protect our privilege of hunting?

Sure, the potential is always there for some selfish person to use the "vicarious" method, but I think we need to be careful not to pounce so quick.

Powder

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-19
>AT 08:13?AM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-19
>AT 08:11?AM (MST)

>
>I have mixed emotions with these
>posts.
>First I had one person from
>MM give me any specific
>hunting information. It was a
>guy who has a tag
>this year. Basically we where
>happy to help each other
>with reports of anything we
>saw. His tag is deer
>my daughters was elk, so
>it made sense we weren't
>competing. I feel I got
>the better end of the
>deal as he saw more
>elk than I saw deer
>but a positive net outcome.
>I did give him deer
>info. The elk we killed
>happened to not be one
>he had seen.
>
>Second I don't live vicariously through
>my kids. I hunt way
>too much each year personally.
>However I cherish the opportunities
>and memories that hunting with
>my kids brings. My oldest
>is married and I already
>see that those hunts we
>shared during her teenage years
>are essentially a thing of
>the past. At this point
>in her life she doesn't
>have the time or resources
>to go much if at
>all.
>
>Third as I reread what I
>posted I do think I
>can see that I was
>?using? my daughters tag as
>a way to tug on
>hearts to get intel.
>Though that wasn?t really my
>thought process in hindsight I
>believe me saying ?my daughter
>tag? makes that exactly what
>I did. My goal
>was to have the best
>hunt with my girl that
>we could. I really didn't
>mean to, and generally wasn?t
>looking for any bodies special
>spots. My first questions were
>about camping spots and where
>to start.
>
>Fourth I do feel that we
>as a hunting community are
>far to negative towards each
>other. Definitely I do not
>think that not giving information
>or handouts is negative (bad
>sentence structure). But harping on
>everyone who isn't from here,
>or hunts differently than me,
>or just happened to get
>drawn somewhere they aren't an
>expert in, or any other
>reason. These aren't reasons to
>hate on people. I may
>not a a gazillion posts
>but I've been on mm
>long enough to have seen
>the shift in our attitudes
>towards each other.
>
>Fifth I really don't know why
>I'm making a numbered list
>but I hope everybody makes
>the best of whatever situation
>they are in. Whether they
>drew the tag of a
>lifetime or they were scouring
>leftover lists. Good luck all
>
>
>
>Edit. I don't want anything I'm
>saying to be confused with
>me saying you should give
>people specific information in a
>unit. Hold your ?honey holes?
>secret and dear. But if
>you feel inclined some basic
>general information may be appropriate.
>And PM?s are a good
>idea

No, he beat up his velvet when he fell. You can see the bullet hole in the side of his chest. This angle shows alot more of the damaged velvet.
96158195480263a2449cabacf31d60bba01aa.jpeg

Enjoy ever minute of quality time you spend with your kids. Life happens way too fast and before you know it all you have is memories. Congratulations to your Daughter on a beautiful bull. ??

Congrats congrats to you both, do not apologize for anything. I passed a tag 3 years ago to allow my 13 year old daughter to have it and it was one of the very best hunts I've ever been on (and yes she killed her first elk).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom