David Petersen

DW

Long Time Member
Founder and former president of the Colorado chapter of BHA is at it again. Here's his letter in the Denver post taking shots at Colorado Bownunters Association.

Hunters must speak up now to protect wildlife

Every five years, Colorado Parks and Wildlife revises its big game season structure, which determines how many licenses will be issued in various seasons for the next five years. That time is now, and if you are among the growing number of hunters who agree there are way too many of us out there in September (unlimited either-sex archery elk tags, plus deer, bear, pronghorn, grouse and muzzle-loading ), now is your chance to help spark needed change. Time is short, with the comment period ending Feb. 4, and I urge you to go online and fill out the opinion survey today. It only takes minutes.

Wildlife management in Colorado is dysfunctional, with science and public interest being overruled by politics and special interests. Please take this opportunity to tell CPW what we are seeing out there and how we feel about it.

If we who hunt in Colorado (residents and visitors alike) don't speak up, then self-serving groups like the Colorado Bowhunter?s Association will continue to have their way at the expense of the wildlife resource and the vast majority of hunters. (And by the way, I am a bowhunter.)

As a group, we hunters are unsophisticated when it comes to biology and politics, always seeking more opportunity while refusing to sacrifice anything for the long-term good. Now is our chance to change that sad history. Please take the survey.

David Petersen, Durango

Who reads the Denver post anymore? If I hadn't read it on another hunting page I'd a never seen it. Wonder who he was targeting, as his audience?

#livelikezac

He is a tool and I wish more people would see it.

He is the most self righteous self serving person I have seen. Who is he to bash the Colorado Bow Hunters Association. They are advocating to keep bow hunting opportunity over the continued use of PLO and late season cow tags.

They need to limit archery tags.
Thousands of archery hunters in some units, and it really mucks up the Colorado backcountry experience for everyone, including people hunting for things other than elk and non-hunters alike.

I think an OTC with caps, broken down by unit groups or DAU would be a good way to do it. Something similar to how Idaho does it. First come first serve, after the LE draw results are released.

I just don't understand how they have any idea how many hunters are hunting where, and how many animals are being harvested out of specific herds when you can just bounce around all over the state. I think it would be good foremost for the wildlife and management of said wildlife, and increase the user experience for everybody.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom