Deer Carts

S

Slide

After this last deer season, it is obvious my pop's and I need a different way of getting our deer out of the field. We, use to have a deer cart that we made many, many years ago. But have not used one in quite awhile. I was wondering if any of you guys use them and what cart you would reccomend? I just looked at the MPI website and I'm not sure if the one wheel cart will work to well especially in the sand. However I have not tried it so I really don't know. Your advice and opinons would be appreciated.

Thank you and I hope everybody is having a great season.....

If you can get the deer down to a decent trail they work great, or if you are hunting where there is very little down fall. I remember using one as a kid. They beat the heck out of dragging the hide off the buggers.

Mike

When I was a kid and we had deer in Oregon if I would have had a video camera I could have become rich selling movies of people trying to use deer carts. it was like the three stooges go deer hunting watching guys try to get over logs and weave through scab rock flats and plow through brush screaming at each other. I guess in the right place a cart might work but you couldn't give me one. I prefer horses but I know that's not an option for many folks, when I hunt without horses I take a good pack frame and with a couple trips a deer is out, much better than a cart IMO.

I have a single wheel mule cart with a hand brake.

The one tire is a 24 inch mnt. bike tire.

It is great, it is high enough to go over most sage brush where there is no type trail and it is decent at going over down logs as long as they are reasonable in size. Two guys can lift it over most anything.

The brake is great.

My bud has one of those cabelas's dual wheel carts and it sucks on trails--to wide and sucks in the brush--to low.. but it works too.

Single wheel is a little tough for one guy to balance while loading though...

Robb

Stick with the wheel carts....coupla' good ones out there for fairly cheap. The sleds suck. I've used that exact one Rutt mentioned from Cabela's and it sucked! Tried to drag it about a mile or two, ripped several holes in the bottom of it. Stupid thing would roll over if it wasn't totally flat.

It's nice cause you can carry up in the hills with ya, but I personally do not recommend em'. JMO.

Two suggestions.

Pack goats are very affordable and can fit in the back of your truck (no trailer expenses). Never a need to pack feed for them (they eat everything).Maybe look into boarding if ya can't house them yourself. They'll go farther than a 4 wheeler. The lamancha and alpacas (sp?) 200lbs..... can carry alot of weight. Search the web for more.

Bull pacs. Awesome frame pack that can carry some serious weight. Check the site. One guy claimed he carried 200 lbs.!!!

I have a custom aluminum one wheeled cart. It is bad ass, but not always applicable. I'm bringing the pack and cart this weekend just to play it safe.

Good luck.

I have hauled deer and elk via cart, pack frame, truck, ATV, etc. They all have their uses when the situation and terrain are right. I have one of the two wheeled carts from Cabelas, I use it on old logging roads that are closed to motorized vehicles. It can be handy if the downfall, brush and sand are minimal. I also use it for hauling decoys to my duck hunting spots. Good Luck!

A bicycle works well if you have a small trail. You can strap a couple quarters on the main cross bar and push it along. You also have the hand brakes to use going downhill. If you feel lucky you can even jump on.

Im with llbrud, all applications work under the correct circumstances, Ive even used a kiddie trailer behind my bike to get deer and elk out. But the tried and true method for me is pack frame...

We use to pack our animals out as well, however my father is in his mid 60's and a tree fell on him about 15yrs ago. And for me I have had 2 back surgeries and I'm not the man I once was, so we need a different way to get our animals back to the truck. We can still walk (not as far) but we still get away from the roads as far as we can but getting game back to rig is a challenge.

My buddy has the heavy duty cart you can get @ Cabela's.. he has the 2 wheel kit on it, I beleive it is rated for 600 LBS... we have hauled out 2 bulls 1 whole 3 cows.. and a couple of Deer... I have pics but do not know how to post... if anybody is intrested in seeing .. the cart has been well worth the money.

For the first time this year we used a cart. What an advantage! Last winter I ordered a cart from EZ-Load game carts. Kind of spendy, but it switches from two wheels to one wheel in just a matter of minutes so you can adjust to your terrain. The owners name is Al, sorry I have forgotten his last name. He is a great guy. We love our cart, look them up on the web.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom