Deer Hunt

30inch

Any one got any info they would be willing to share on unit 32. Im taking a couple of kids hunting for they're first time and would really like to give them a good hunting experience and atleast see some deer. We will be out there for the 2nd rifle hunt starts Nov. 9th.

They are my friends kids who is unable to take them due to medical reasons and I have never been to the unit. So if any one can spare some info that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm headed down there this weekend for my deer hunt. I'll let you know what I see.

Do a search here and there is some good information. Make sure to click the archives to get the old threads.

I would be ready to do a lot of walking. The Bitter Lake Wildlife Refuge looks like it should have some deer on it. Lots of checkboard public land mixed in, but most of it is off major roads so to access it you are probably going to need to walk in.

It's a high odds drawing unit so I wouldn't expect to see a lot of high quality animals.

I'll actually be out there this weekend hunting it as well, so I might have some more information next week.

That would be great guys. I got maps yesterday and have a couple areas in mind. Ill try to get out and drive around the unit on monday. I know there is a hunt going on so Ill just take a cruise and try not to mess it up fr any one. Good Luck on your hunts guys!!

Twinbutt road off of hwy 13. Lots of road hunters.there's a road rite before the ranch house head west on it a few miles. Perfect for kids hills aren't to big & lots of small legal buck. There are a few big one's too. Went in there a week ago & seen 3 big ones. Good Barbary country too

Aranda, I have been looking at this area on the maps. Ill head out monday and look around. Have you ever been to the sandhills north east of Roswell? Are they as good as the hills in 33? Thanks again for the help guys.

I have & there use to be some big ones in them sand hill but the the few years it went down bad. I guess the drought hurt them when the Pecos went dry. I hear they been seeing a lot of cats out there too.

Aranda pointed out some nice areas for me awhile back for my Barbary sheep hunt. I saw a fair amount of deer back there, even a few bucks. Just off of HWY 13 there is the Felix Ranch. You may want to verify with game and fish but it is open for both deer and sheep. The utilized ranch link on the department web site provides the maps with boundaries

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-13 AT 09:36AM (MST)[p]Back from my unit 32 rifle deer hunt. End result is that I'm not sure that I would take the tag next year if it was available on leftovers.

Started out in the sand hills west of Kenna. Thought I had some good looking spots lined up with no roads and some decent terrain. Got there Saturday morning about 30 minutes before shooting light and started hiking in. Kept hiking and kept hiking. Didn't see much sign at all and there had been a rain the night before so I would have been able to see fresh tracks. Finally mid morning saw a doe and 2 fawns. Got back in a little over 3 miles and that was it. Saw their tracks again on the way out. Pretty discouraging.

Ended up driving around a bit and the mix of public and private was a little confusing on what was marked and what wasn't, but basically after about lunch time I decided that there weren't many deer in the sand hills. Did hear some shots up by the rimrock area where the windmills are, but that looked all private.

Relocated to an area Northwest of Roswell with some checkboard BLM and State land after lunch. Tough to get off the highway onto public land, but finally found a spot. Looked pretty deery and spooked up 5 does and fawns right off the bat when I started hiking toward the bottom. Snuck up on a doe and 2 fawns down in the bottom then moved up onto the top on the opposite side. Saw the biggest covey of quail I've ever seen in my life, at least 50 birds. That turned out to be the highlight of the trip probably. Sat back and watched the bottom area as the sunset and 8 does and fawns came working through the bottom but no antlers. Walked back to the truck in the dark and decided to try Bitter Lake in the morning.

Ended up with a tiny bit under 10 miles logged on my boots according to my GPS.

Started out at Bitter Lake Sunday morning. Headed out about 30 minutes before shooting light. Didn't see much in the way of tracks in the bottom so moved over into the hills a little. Heard some coyotes but not much else. Actually glassed a shed antler about 1/2 mile away and headed over there. Chalky white, but a decent find. Still not seeing any recent tracks really. Made a big loop and headed back out. Found another shed antler and saw a few more tracks, but didn't see a single deer. Logged a little over 6 miles on my boots per my GPS.

Decided I would at least go look at the twin buttes road area and headed over there thinking I would try to get back in off the road a ways and see if I could at least see a buck. Wow, I've never seen so many hunters in such a small area in my life! Probably 50 or so hunters in about a 10 square mile area. Campers, trailers, tents, ATVs, a regular city back there. They all looked like they were hanging around camp so I went on in and tried to get off the road. Hiked about a mile and setup overlooking a bottom and within about 15 minutes see 2 hunters coming up through the bottom beating the brush. Literally, one of them way picking up rocks and throwing them into the brush. They spooked about 10 deer out, but all of them were does. After they finished working the bottom I decided I would follow where the does went back farther in. I was going to be sunset soon and I figured they might lead me to a buck. I topped the next ridge over and a pickup was driving up a road that I thought was blocked off down on private. I move over onto the ridge and about when I'm going to sit down 2 other hunters come walking up from the North. I decide to just head back to the truck and as I'm going down the ridge, 2 more hunters are on their way up from the West. I keep heading back to the truck, bump some does and fawns on the way and decide I might as well sit a ridge looking over a bottom as the sun sets. Saw another doe and fawn, another truck drive by, can hear ATVs roaring all around, and am just amazed at the amount of pressure put on the deer in this tiny little area. After sunset I drop down for the last 3/4 of a mile to my truck and bump a doe in the bottom as I go through. If there are any bucks in the area they are going to about have to get stepped on to get them to leave cover. My best decision all week was to head back to the truck before dark as about 1/3rd of a mile away I almost stepped on a great big rattlesnake. I just left him alone and went around. Decided to just drive back to Lubbock and call it a learning experience. Just 4 miles on my boots that evening. There just wasn't any real areas to get very far back in that I could see.

Total for the weekend, 20 miles logged on my boots and didn't see a single buck.

Advice for someone who has a rifle tag next week. I would try the area Northwest of Roswell. Look for some bottom land with some brush that is accessible from a road. You might have a more enjoyable time bringing your shotgun if quail season is open then.

Good luck.

I saw three bucks and four does on Saturday. There was a time not too long ago when it was common to see a 100+ deer per day in 32. Those days are gone. I don't believe it's all due to the hunting pressure, but the unit could definitely use a break on the number of tags that G&F issues...

Thanks for all the help guys. Npaden sorry your hunt didn't go well. I will probably stay away from twin butte don't want to have the kids in a war zone. Thanks again for the help

Hiked about 15 miles yesterday and only saw six does for my trouble. Can't complain too much though, because I lucked in to a small 4x4 at 30 yards first thing this morning. I was way past being picky--probably would have shot a fork under the circumstances.

FWIW, I didn't see another hunter either day--seems all the weekend warriors beat it out of there...

...also found a dead buck that was bigger than the one I shot--still had velvet hanging on its antlers. Looked like it got caught in the "100 year flood" they had back in September. I wonder how many deer were lost to that...

I hunted the twin butte area hard for all 5 days of the hunt. Like everyone was saying, tons of hunters, campers, and atvs. It seemed like every decent area either had a camp setup or there were hunters walking around. With that being said, I probably saw over a hundred deer, but almost all of them were either does, fawns, or little spikes. I saw three decent bucks the entire hunt, but each time they were on a full out run trying to get to the next county. I also saw several rattlesnakes which nearly made me need a change of shorts each time. Snakes are on the top of my list for things that I try to avoid. I was hoping that they would have already been under ground asleep by now.

I drew this hunt as a third choice, but would probably skip this hunt next year unless it was for the January bow hunt. I found that there were way too many irresponsible rifle hunters that all decided to hunt the same small section of unit 32. With that being said I'll be back down in 32 for my girlfriends bow hunt in Jan. I'm hoping that the big bucks are thinking about love rather than getting into the next county.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom