Deer Region Y or M???

6ppc

I want to put in for a leftover WY deer tag in one of these regions. Region M looks like it has a lot of BLM land and Y looks like most access would be in the Nat'l. Forest. The season in both areas is 10/15-31 with a few unit exceptions.

Would appreciate recommendations on which area you would recommend and any info on areas to concentrate in. Are these regions even worth putting in for or should I try another region?

TIA - Jim

Although I hunt Region M, it took me many years to find the public land spots I hunt that hold deer and I would not recommend it to a new person going out there for the first time without someone who has hunted it before. There is nowhere near the good huntable land in M as there is in Region Y IMHO. The whole west side of Region Y from the National Forest up higher in the northern sections west of Sheridan to all the BLM land down in units 32, 33 and 163 west of Kaycee present a lot more opportunity for a newbie to go out and have fun seeing deer without having to worry about trespass issues than M does. Get some real good maps of the land ownership of Y and you will see what I mean. If I were were you, I would get good maps and hunt the three units down west of Kaycee.

Topgun thanks for the info. I know that region M is difficult as I have hunted there in the past. Think I will put in for Y and do a scouting trip in mid Sept. as we have a trip planned for no. CO then.

Have you hunted region Y before? Also, do you live in Worland?

TIA,

Jim

Nope, I live in southwest lower Michigan, but I have friends in Worland and Sheridan, so I know both sides of the mountains pretty well because I'm retired and spend quite a few weeks out there every year!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-11 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]Thanks TOPGUN, as always I enjoy your input. I'll let you know how it turns out.

When will you be in WY this fall? My buddy drew a 125 tag and I'll be helping 11/1-11/10.

Jim

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom