Deer Ribs have a place, too

CCity65

Last year our family loaded up with a combo of 6 deer and pronghorn. We decided to keep some of the ribs, instead of just boning them out. We cut each rack into small sections and froze. Not really knowing what to do with them, I decided to braise a section and add to my spaghetti sauce, simmering them all day. I normally add meat on bone in my sauce, usually pork, so I thought it would be worth the try. The result is the added flavor to my sauce and the satisfaction of squeezing a little bit more out of our harvest. As a self proclaimed meat hunter, I’ll say it is well worth the effort.

D1BE1267-A9CE-4329-91D1-C21CCB9F36F8.jpeg

I have gotten to where I keep most deer and elk ribs instead of having more burger. I smoke them with a few tweaks because of the nature of the meat compared to pork. Haven’t had a bad rack yet

Doves are nothing but small pigeons. ;)

When I was a little shaver in northern NJ during the late '40s, early '50s, there were huge mulberry & green apple trees in my grandparents' backyard. My grandfather would sit at a picnic table with a .22 rifle and kill small birds that he cooked as noted above. My foggy brain seems to recall that they were common blackbirds or such. He then used the same cooking method in AZ when he moved here with my parents in 1961. He also did quail in the sauce.

I can still visualize the rifle, too. It was an old single-shot bolt action where you had to pull back a plunger-type firing pin to c0ck it after loading a round in the chamber.

Yes! they were finger licken' good as well as tender. I let them simmer about another hour and a half, post picture, and had all I could do to get the rack out of the pot in one piece. Once on a platter, the bones pulled right out.

ODW: Probably an old Rem Model 33, just like this one of my Dad's. It's the Deluxe model, with finger grooves, instead of plain stock. As a 14-yr old living in South Georgia in 1933, it was his job to keep quail and rabbits on the table. Those would have been some days to experience!!

86A072DA-8302-4837-9BB9-0BA0AC1C1F75.jpeg

5DD8F3FB-2B4B-4B30-A157-8FA7B533D8A4.jpeg

ODW: Probably an old Rem Model 33, just like this one of my Dad's. It's the Deluxe model, with finger grooves, instead of plain stock. As a 14-yr old living in South Georgia in 1933, it was his job to keep quail and rabbits on the table. Those would have been some days to experience!!
That's about like the action, but the stock had a much slimmer profile to it as I remember it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom