deer supertag

madmoose

friend of mine drew the deer supertag. we are up here in the panhandle but know the draw to unit 45 for deer or even 52. so to the folks that have hunted those areas or just explore in that country, any opinions, advice, overview ?? reasoning of the 10 day difference in opening date? between 52 and 45. thanks for your time

45 is great, you can go anywhere out by King hill creek and look at bucks all day. The real challenge there is sorting out all the small 4 pts and finding something really special to put that supertag on!

I'd say your time could be better spent elsewhere... At least if "I" had the tag I would be somewheres else...

52 opens earlier (Oct 5th) because there is a muzzy hunt in 45 from Oct 1-14. The Rifle hunt in 45 opens on Oct 15th and is only for the Western part of the unit.

There are big bucks in both units. My opinion is 45 holds more than 52, but that doesn't mean there aren't some bruisers in 52!

If you intend to head down to the region, I'd recommend you find an area and familiarize yourself with it. Or, pray for snow and then your options increase tenfold!

I live here in unit 45 and in my opinion this unit is as good as any in the state. 52 is also a good unit to hunt but not as many deer as in 45 however like others have said it still can produce awesome deer. If you only have a limited amount of hunting time you should spend some time in 45. Ive hunted with a few supertag hunters and all of them that didnt kill in 45 and went on to hunt other units all said they wish they would of hunted 45 more. However, 45 is not an easy hunt like most people think it is. Youve got to put alot of time and hard work in to find that once in a lifetime buck but they are here. I can help you with more detailed info. if you would like. PM and ill help you out any way I can.

Have you thought about unit 40 at all? I'd go there before 45. How about 44?

Here are some shed's from 45, but most of these deer migrate into the area from other units.

1809shed_1.jpg

3251shed_9.jpg

Well said Zeus. I think some people believe you can just drive into unit 45 and see big bucks running all over. Not so. The big bucks are smart. You need to get away from the roads and put some serious time behind your glass to find the big boys. They are there, just not hiding behind every bush like people think.

I've hunted the unit a few times and EVERY single time I wish I had set aside more time to hunt the unit.

I've drove through 45 on three different occasions and seen two bucks I know were over 30". Seen several deer ranging from 140-190". This is a slam dunk unit for sure. Hunted several different states and unit 45 would be the easiest unit to get a book deer for sure.

If you're in the panhandle... unit 11 is a bit closer to you and there are some once in a lifetime deer in there as well! Little tougher terrain to hunt than 45 however...

Mike

+1 on Unit 11. I'd spend a few days there at least since it is so close to you.

I drew my second 45 tag this year and it is a great hunt, but I'd rather have a week during the late 11 hunt than a week on the October dates in 45. If they moved the 45 dates back into November, I would probably reverse that statement. Actually, I know that I would!

Congrats on the tag!

JJ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom