Diesel Mileage ??? HELP!

FishlakeElkHunter

Very Active Member
..I need some help!

I am looking at buying a "new to me" new pickup! I need a Diesel and I am sick of my gas truck pulling my 30' trailer.

What I need to know is how many miles is TOO MANY miles when looking at a used Diesel truck? I have been looking a lot of them and I have seen what I want from anywhere from 60,000 to 110,000 miles on them. I am looking at some Dodge Mega Cabs and also some Fords.

So would I be crazy to buy a truck with already that many miles on them???

Also....I hardly ever drive my truck. I have a 05 Chevy that only has 40,000 miles on it....so putting a lot of miles on is not a worry......

Help!

Personally I would not want a truck with over 100,000 miles. Diesels are so so so very expensive to fix even if only a minor part but it seems there is nothing minor when they break. With only 40k miles on yours, why not look for something similar. Doesn't sound like you are in a huge hurry so keep looking until you find the right one.

which ever truck you buy test drive it to a shop and have them look everything over. well worth the money. and the headache later of buying one that will have problems. been there done that.

I have a 97 F-250 with 290,000 + on it and it's still going. It's been used hard as a work truck. I am very meticulous about maintenance and oil changes. The engine is all original, even has the original injectors. Not as strong as it used to be, but it starts up every day and goes to work and still gets 19.4 mpg unloaded on the highway. The 7.3 is the best engine Ford made. I also have a 2000 F-350 with 119,000 and it runs like a raped ape. (It's for sale if anyone's interested)
Wes

FLEH!
A mildly chipped Diesel will produce 800 ft lbs of torque!
Once you feel that I'll guarantee you'll want to drive it all the time.
The newer Diesels will require removal and disposal of the Obama pipe and install a programmer to perform properly.

You planning on making somebody inhale or what?

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

I wouldn't be afraid of buying one with 60k - 110k on it. Of course the less the better. My 03 Dodge cummins has 212,000 miles on it and the only real repair (outside of normal wear and tear items) I have made is an injector that went out 2000 miles ago. Cost $700. Additionally my truck has pulled a trailer probably 150k of that 212k. I do think it pays to do regular oil changes and air filter cleanings as well as transmission service to keep them running strong.

03 early 04 is the best year!
No Obama pipes to remove,mileage is better than newer models with way less problems.
Problem is most of them have 150k+ miles on them!

Fish:

Get a hold of Wes about the 2000 7.3 diesel. I own that same truck and really like. I bought mine with 103,000 and now have 140 on it. I have made repairs. However, I have still spent a lot less than I would have by buying new.

There is a lot of room and its a solid truck. Its a little loud, rides a little rough but overall its been a great truck.

I went to Gorge last week and got about 18-19 mpg (not pulling). When I pull a toy hauler travel trailer, I am in the 10-12 mpg.

I run a 96 Dodge, 250k, I replaced the clutch at 180 and could have got another 20k or more out of it. It will still pull the Park City grade in fifth gear with a full load in back, two horses behind and maintain 60-65. All the while averaging 15mpg. My normal mpg varies between 19 and 23. I also have an 06 Dodge. It has even more power but rarely gets better than 18 with 16-17 being the norm. I have partners that run Fords, great trucks but I have my doubts about some of the drivers! If you tow and go with a diesel you will never buy another gas burner!

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Bbop...I am finally going to join the club of the Belchers!!! I just can not see paying $60,000 they want for a new one....it is just plain STUPID!!!! And I am not home enough to drive one all the time...Speaking of...why are you not taking care of things at my house this summer?? hahaha

Now I need to sell my gasser and buy me a belcher...

I have a 97 F-350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke and a little over 130,000 miles. It gets 21 in town or on the highway and no less than 18 when towing 6 ton of hay, a boat, trailer, whatever. My cousin just sold his (same year and everything) with 400,000 on it and was still getting 20 mpg. He bought a new Dodge and wishes that he still had his Ford.
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

FLEH,
Guess I'm slackin?
I agree,60K WTH?
I was just thinkin if you bought a new one though I might start taking care of things again!}>}>}>

Hey pb,
Don't blow an overload,but 18 MPG with 6 ton of Hay?
I'd keep that truck cuzz the next Ford you go buy ain't gonna pull that off!

7.3 liter: Best International motor Ford ever put in it's pickup. I wish they were still doing it.

I agree, if its a ford, make sure its the 7.3...mine has around 210k on it. I wish it got 15 loaded..let alone 18..

I am just really nervous about buying a truck with lots of miles on it....but I also DO NOT want to spend $50,000 for a new one!!

I guess I will see what I can find.....Thanks for all the replys!~

FLEH, I have a 95 7.3 which is not yet to six figures on the odometer. Great truck and motor but dont get too caught up on the mpg hype. They do good but some of the claims I see make me shake my head. PS plan on everything costing at least double for repairs and maintanance. If you tune it to blow smoke know ahead of time that smoke screen = lost mpg. I have always been timid of buying used. Common reasons people sell cars before they are worn out range from chronic problems to not being able to afford it both of which can mean big headaches for you down the road. I would only buy used from someone I knew who would give me the full skinny. Diesel trucks are big investments
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I bought a 2002 F350 4X4 with 60 K on it in fall of 2003. It now has 197K on it. Engine still runs strong but have had to replace a lot of other stuff, tie rods, water pump etc. etc. I will probably drive it another 100k or so. Can't see paying the price for a new one.

Phantom Hunter

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom